Melvin Hired as DLINE coach

The Dude

Junior
http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=209886087http://

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami football team announced today the addition of Randy Melvin as the Hurricanes’ new defensive line coach.

Melvin brings over 30 years of coaching experience to Coral Gables, including seven years in the NFL. His most recent professional stint came as the defensive line coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during the 2012 and 2013 seasons. In addition, the Illinois native has collected championship titles in both the NFL and CFL.

“Randy Melvin brings tremendous energy, toughness and a wealth of experience to our football program. I have no doubt that his expertise and ability to connect and mentor young people will allow our student-athletes to become the best they can be,” said head coach Al Golden. “With 32 years in the business, Randy knows what it takes to be successful at both the collegiate and professional levels. Perhaps his greatest attribute as a coach and mentor is his ability to consistently mold student-athletes into great men both on and off the field. His knowledge, commitment and passion for the game are unquestioned and I’m thrilled to have him back on staff.”

Melvin arrives at Miami after he spent the 2014 season at FIU serving on head coach Ron Turner’s staff as the defensive line coach. Under Melvin guidance, the Panthers featured the No. 3 ranked defense in Conference USA.

Melvin joins Golden’s coaching staff for the second in his career as the two spent the 2009 season together at Temple. During his 2009 stint with the Owls, Temple ranked No. 1 in the Mid-American Conference against the run, limiting opponents to just 107.6 yards per game. During his time with Temple, Melvin helped tutor currently New York Jets defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson.

“Coaching at the University of Miami has always been a dream destination of mine,” Melvin said. “I can’t thank Coach Golden enough for this opportunity. The pieces are absolutely in place for the Hurricanes to have a memorable season in 2015 and I can’t wait to get to work with our student-athletes.”

Melvin is no stranger to developing elite level defensive lineman, in 2013 with Tampa Bay, he coached defensive tackle Gerald McCoy to Associated Press All-Pro Team status.

Before landing in Tampa Bay, Melvin spent the 2011 season with the British Columbia Lions of the CFL, where the squad would win the Grey Cup.

Melvin also spent time on Romeo Crennel’s Cleveland Browns staff where he served as the defensive line coach for three seasons from 2005-08.

Bill Belichick gave Melvin his first job in the NFL as he was hired by the New England Patriots in 2000. Melvin spent two seasons in New England, serving as the defensive line coach. In 2001, his defensive line scheme helped the Patriots defeat the St. Louis Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI and handed New England the first of its four Super Bowl titles.

Melvin also held defensive line coaching positions at Rutgers (2002-04), Purdue (1997-99), Wyoming (1995-96) and at his alma mater Eastern Illinois (1988-94). He also served as high school coach for six years (1982-87), including three seasons as the head coach at Aurora, Ill., West High (1985-87).

During his tenure at Purdue, Melvin mentored Boilermaker ends Rosevelt Colvin, Chike Okeafor, Chukie Nwokorie and Warren Moore, who combined for 45 of the team’s 66 quarterback sacks in 1997 and 1998.

Colvin earned Third-Team All-American and First-Team All-Big Ten accolades while racking up 50 tackles and a school-record 15 his senior year. Three of those four ends advanced to the NFL as Okeafor was drafted in the third round by the San Francisco 49ers, Colvin was selected fourth by the Chicago Bears and Nwokorie signed as a free agent with the Indianapolis Colts.

His defensive lines at Wyoming led the Western Athletic Conference in quarterback sacks in 1995 and 1996 with 33 and 46, respectively.

A 1982 graduate of Eastern Illinois, Melvin was an Associated Press Division II All-American in 1979 and 1980. He started on EIU’s 1978 national championship squad, and the 1980 team finished as national runner-up.

Advertisement
He Already doing work!

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I personally wanted KP just like the rest of you guys. However at this point i am taking the wait and see approach on this guy.

Advertisement
So this guy has experience ..Just a little to much for a short period of time from High School coach to FIU...In the meantime you've got to wonder when you win a ring with Belichick, then bounce around the college level, to Cleveland the CFL and the Mighty Tampa Bucs, only to get canned, ending up a FIU...It's unfortunate that his career has been on a downward spiral before landing at the "U". Based on performance, I assume the d-line won't be trending upward any time soon...

So this guy has experience ..Just a little to much for a short period of time from High School coach to FIU...In the meantime you've got to wonder when you win a ring with Belichick, then bounce around the college level, to Cleveland the CFL and the Mighty Tampa Bucs, only to get canned, ending up a FIU...It's unfortunate that his career has been on a downward spiral before landing at the "U". Based on performance, I assume the d-line won't be trending upward any time soon...

to be fair, you look at any asst. coaches resume and you see this kind of stuff. Just for the heck of it I took at Oregenon's resume who most would think here is a **** good dline coach, and you see the same pattern.

to be fair, you look at any asst. coaches resume and you see this kind of stuff. Just for the heck of it I took at Oregenon's resume who most would think here is a **** good dline coach, and you see the same pattern.

he got fired after winning a super bowl. lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

he got fired after winning a super bowl. lol
He didnt get fired, he left for the Browns job when Crennel the DC for the pats got the HC job there.

Advertisement
Back