MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Any stadium development for UM will have to be entirely financed by the private sector, specially after the marlins park disaster. Will cost billions+ limited available land + coral gables will block any development within their limits. Also just look at UM’s demographics, that’s a PR disaster waiting to happen.

The university’s time would be better spent campaigning to built a train line to Hard Rock.

Advertisement
Any stadium development for UM will have to be entirely financed by the private sector, specially after the marlins park disaster. Will cost billions+ limited available land + coral gables will block any development within their limits. Also just look at UM’s demographics, that’s a PR disaster waiting to happen.

The university’s time would be better spent campaigning to built a train line to Hard Rock.

Friend; do u know the avg. cost to build a train line? I’ll use L.A newest project, connecting the hood to LAX for 8.5mi. That project is on the lower side of $247m/mile.

From Miami’s campus or Coral Gables to HRS/Miami Gardens, that’s 22.7m, right? That’s a $5.6b project! That’s IF we can get the “fair deal” deal in that price range. SoFI’s entire project was $5.5b, lol. So what’s more economical, building a stadium that’ll be half that price point or a rail system?

Oh, also since I’m familiar w/ rail systems in L.A; those rail systems take u where u need to be, but often times the unsavory folks tend to end up in ur back yard. We had a slew of disorderly folks hop on the rails & end up in neighborhoods that they definitely didn’t live in.

Not bashing u, b/c the theory sounds good, but economically…I dunno.

Friend; do u know the avg. cost to build a train line? I’ll use L.A newest project, connecting the hood to LAX for 8.5mi. That project is on the lower side of $247m/mile.

From Miami’s campus or Coral Gables to HRS/Miami Gardens, that’s 22.7m, right? That’s a $5.6b project! That’s IF we can get the “fair deal” deal in that price range. SoFI’s entire project was $5.5b, lol. So what’s more economical, building a stadium that’ll be half that price point or a rail system?

Oh, also since I’m familiar w/ rail systems in L.A; those rail systems take u where u need to be, but often times the unsavory folks tend to end up in ur back yard. We had a slew of disorderly folks hop on the rails & end up in neighborhoods that they definitely didn’t live in.

There is existing infrastructure on top of privately funded Brightline which is building new high speed stops up and down the coast of FL including Miami and Aventura. It would likely cost less than 10% of the 5.6B amount you threw out.

It's a mute point anyway b/c if the team is winning people will find a way to go to games and if UM isn't then they won't .... regardless of transportation and regardless of location.

Last edited:
Also "dirty" secret of site....

significant ****nic contamination...not a big deal for use, but utility/underground construction costs will be $$$$$$$$
I’m curious - if you know - what was there previously that caused ****nic to be present and at such high levels? Aside from naturally occurring ****nic, and ****nic in treated lumber, you see it on sites up north that may have once been apple orchards, for instance, given the pesticides used. Were there agricultural uses there previously???

Yeah that’s not happening as a straight up new rail. They’d be acquiring all kinds of right of way to accommodate a private institution. Even if they could do it under the guise of connecting downtown miami to the stadium, it’s not going to give them enough of a return fro the amount of public funds expended.

If they had a major rail project with a plan to run from miami to someplace north or west, they could include that as a stop. That’s possible as part of a larger project notwithstanding costs.

Anyone know - Is there a rail plan between Dade and Broward or between Dade and the west coast??

Advertisement

It’s not just us using the train line, also the plan has already been proposed. I’m proposing the northern corridor expansion for the metro up 27th ave. I just think they university should campaign for the track (if they haven’t already), and try and get a game day express train between university and stadium.

Yeah that’s not happening. They’d be acquiring all kinds of right of way to accommodate a private institution. Even if they could do it under the guise of connecting downtown miami to the stadium, it’s not going to give them enough of a return fro the amount of public funds expended.

If they had a major rail project with a plan to run from miami to someplace north or west, they could include that as a stop
For the northern corridor, it runs down the middle of 27th. The right of way is already there in form of the suicide lane. Only problem is a bridge over the expressway. It would cost abt 1.2bil is public money, and yes it’s controversial. But it’s much more feasible and less controversial than a brand new stadium.

For the northern corridor, it runs down the middle of 27th. The right of way is already there in form of the suicide lane. Only problem is a bridge over the expressway. It would cost abt 1.2bil is public money, and yes it’s controversial. But it’s much more feasible and less controversial than a brand new stadium.
Usually- at least out west, you don’t see ROW widths less than 30’ on each side of the centerline of the track though I’ve seen 25’ on each side.

I think they could do it in less space. You mentioned a suicide lane. I have seen it done in the middle of a road in a similar situation, with the BRT in Richmond, VA, which can cut down on impacts.

That said, they have a long run here if they do this. I assume there isn’t going to be a suicide lane available for the entire distance.

Personally, I’d build the stadium somewhere unless there’s already a planned rail project and they can piggyback this on to it as an add-on stop.

Just a general note - any proposed use of public funds for private purposes presents a problem to say the least.

Question: Do official or unofficial visits include trips to the stadium? (OFF SEASON) I know we show them South Beach, + campus life and Rusty Pelican For dinners. I ran into Jalen Hurts on his visit at the Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne for example.

Does UM show them around HRS when there aren’t games? Do they get their “He Got Game” moment where they personalize the Jumbotron and have the announcers call their name?

Maybe they make a day out of it and hit up the TJ Max & Goodwill over at Skylake Mall.

I really think this could turn some of our blue chip targets.

Also think it’d be nice to play our spring game at our home stadium like most power programs instead of getting bumped for a Shakira concert, tennis tournament or whatever Eyes Wide Shut mask parties Ross probably does with his banker pals.

Also Stephen Ross is a UF & Michigan Alum.

Masterfully played.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Question: Do official or unofficial visits include trips to the stadium? (OFF SEASON) I know we show them South Beach, + campus life and Rusty Pelican For dinners. I ran into Jalen Hurts on his visit at the Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne for example.

Does UM show them around HRS when there aren’t games? Do they get their “He Got Game” moment where they personalize the Jumbotron and have the announcers call their name?

Maybe they make a day out of it and hit up the TJ Max & Goodwill over at Skylake Mall.

Also think it’d be nice to play our spring game at our home stadium like most power programs instead of getting bumped for a Shakira concert, tennis tournament or whatever Eyes Wide Shut mask parties Ross probably does with his banker pals.

Masterfully played.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh; it’s a world class stadium that gave us a home field advantage, feeling in 2017

Usually- at least out west, you don’t see ROW widths less than 30’ on each side of the centerline of the track though I’ve seen 25’ on each side.

I think they could do it in less space. You mentioned a suicide lane. I have seen it done in the middle of a road in a similar situation, with the BRT in Richmond, VA, which can cut down on impacts.

That said, they have a long run here if they do this. I assume there isn’t going to be a suicide lane available for the entire distance.

Personally, I’d build the stadium somewhere unless there’s already a planned rail project and they can piggyback this on to it as an add-on stop.

Just a general note - any proposed use of public funds for private purposes presents a problem to say the least.
The stop at hard rock was already in the proposal, so we wouldn’t be requesting anything that would be a major cost. The only thing I’d propose is a express train that bypasses most stops. All we’d be doing is piggybacking on the project.

While it’s not a given to happen (no infrastructure/ transit ever is), still seems a lot more likely than any potential TP/ Magic City or whatever other site we discuss. Hard Rock will be UM’s more for the long future, let’s try and make the best of the situation. Helping insure the north corridor’s completion and hopefully an express route, would go a good way to making our games more accessible.

Episode 9 GIF by The Simpsons

Masterfully played.

So now this thread is about mocking where we will probably be playing for the next 20 years? Or longer. You guys are fans? You guys sound like rival fans. GFY.

Advertisement
I’m curious - if you know - what was there previously that caused ****nic to be present and at such high levels? Aside from naturally occurring ****nic, and ****nic in treated lumber, you see it on sites up north that may have once been apple orchards, for instance, given the pesticides used. Were there agricultural uses there previously???

Melreese has been a public golf course for a loooooong time (100 years?). Unless there were some unusual chemicals used to maintain the golf course, I would be willing to bet that there has been some "illegal dumping" going on for quite some time, due to its proximity to MIA.

Just some lazy cost-cutting. "Hey guys, just dump that stuff over by the public golf course, nobody is ever around after dark"...

There is existing infrastructure on top of privately funded Brightline which is building new high speed stops up and down the coast of FL including Miami and Aventura. It would likely cost less than 10% of the 5.6B amount you threw out.

It's a mute point anyway b/c if the team is winning people will find a way to go to games and if UM isn't then they won't .... regardless of transportation and regardless of location.

While Brightline is fantastic, it is very far east and has been using an existing train line (at least in Dade/Broward/Palm Beach).

To build a brand new rail line where nothing currently exists would be very pricey. And most of Brightline is on the surface, while Metro through North Dade would need to be mostly elevated.

Dade needs to build more rail, particularly for east-west routes, as the surface roads are brutal. But it's gonna cost a lot of money.

Yeah that’s not happening as a straight up new rail. They’d be acquiring all kinds of right of way to accommodate a private institution. Even if they could do it under the guise of connecting downtown miami to the stadium, it’s not going to give them enough of a return fro the amount of public funds expended.

If they had a major rail project with a plan to run from miami to someplace north or west, they could include that as a stop. That’s possible as part of a larger project notwithstanding costs.

Anyone know - Is there a rail plan between Dade and Broward or between Dade and the west coast??

Dade has LONG talked about extending Metro up to Hard Rock and/or Calder. So far...mostly talk (and a few feasibility studies).

Brightline JUST opened the route from West Palm to Orlando. I'm going to try it out one of these weekends, because I'd like to use it for a few games (drive from ATL to ORL on Friday and then take Brightline to/from Miami). From Orlando to Miami is supposed to take less than 3.5 hours, and the premium ticket allows you to drink alcohol.

Brightline largely follows the Flagler train line route between Miami and West Palm.

One of the Miami stations is in Aventura, along US 1 just south of Ives Dairy, across from the Aventura Mall. If you buy the "premium" ticket, it includes a free 5-mile radius Uber/Lyft ride, but I checked, and that will likely only get you to the Publix at 441 and 199th. So I'd probably have to pay for an Uber to get all the way to the stadium.

1682511299589.png

Advertisement
its cheaper to drive from orlando than take the train the way their pricing works. it opens in may and leaves from terminal C.
Dade has LONG talked about extending Metro up to Hard Rock and/or Calder. So far...mostly talk (and a few feasibility studies).

Brightline JUST opened the route from West Palm to Orlando. I'm going to try it out one of these weekends, because I'd like to use it for a few games (drive from ATL to ORL on Friday and then take Brightline to/from Miami). From Orlando to Miami is supposed to take less than 3.5 hours, and the premium ticket allows you to drink alcohol.

Brightline largely follows the Flagler train line route between Miami and West Palm.

One of the Miami stations is in Aventura, along US 1 just south of Ives Dairy, across from the Aventura Mall. If you buy the "premium" ticket, it includes a free 5-mile radius Uber/Lyft ride, but I checked, and that will likely only get you to the Publix at 441 and 199th. So I'd probably have to pay for an Uber to get all the way to the stadium.

View attachment 236758

its cheaper to drive from orlando than take the train the way their pricing works. it opens in may and leaves from terminal C.

I don't give a **** about the price, I'll pay to relax and enjoy the trip.

I'm also going to fly from ATL to Hollywood once the airport is no longer flooded.

I'm not going to drive from ATL to Hard Rock 7 times a year.

Advertisement
Back