MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

There is NO barrier to Magic City/dirt-mall north of Magic City, except for money.

Buy the land (both sides of NW 7th Street) and build the stadium. Easy-peasy.
Apparently, it's already been bought - by another gaming company who thinks they'll be the one who finally convinces this State's legislature to get out of bed with the Seminoles.

Advertisement
Nor his seminal work, "Get rich or die tryin'"??? Missing out, friend.
50 cent burt GIF

you are talking about a stadium already built on campus? big difference.

go convince an anti-male, heavily Marxist faculty and the trustees that hate football that spending $1B on a football stadium at tropical equals other capital improvement projects on campus (housing, academics etc.).

although apparently not your argument, the scarcity of land is THE central problem for the stadium.
When the Big House was built by the University of Michigan, pretty sure it was NOT on the Ann Arbor campus. It was on a parcel of land - not too far away - that the University bought up called Miller's Farm.

Whether the campus grew to absorb the location, I'm not sure. My only trip there was back in the mid 1970s and if the Big House was on campus, it was on the extreme edge.

Wasn't there massive pushback from NIMBY's and the Matheson family when the Miami Open organizers proposed renovating the Crandon Park tennis facilities?
Yes and Ross courted the Miami Open to HRS otherwise the tournament would have faded into oblivion.

Nor his seminal work, "Get rich or die tryin'"??? Missing out, friend.
thanks to google, you mean 50 cent.

pretty sure i would not call him a poet. a successful rapper? yes. a criminal? yes, a piece of **** of a human being? yes.

Advertisement
thanks to google, you mean 50 cent.

pretty sure i would not call him a poet. a successful rapper? yes. a criminal? yes, a piece of **** of a human being? yes.

If I quoted Samuel Clemens, you'd know who I was referencing, right? And, based on any definition of the word "poem" you want to use, hip-hop is poetry.

Now I know you're ******* with me. I can't possibly be talking to the only person on the planet, who lived through the year 2003 and did not know who 50 Cent was until today.

This is absolute and complete bull****. And so typical of the know-nothing-but-think-they-know-it-all alums of the last 15 years.

I've detailed this before, but I'll make it simple.

First, in the 1980s and 1990s and early 2000s, we were REQUIRED to pay the Athletic Fee. Thus, we COULD go to the games for free. We didn't have to decide to pay the fee or buy individual tickets. And don't try to tell me "it wasn't all that much better when Miami was DOMINANT", because you are flat-out wrong.

And I'm not saying that because I "disagree" with you, I'm saying it because I actually know the numbers. Because you are ALSO wrong about "all the students had to do was show up to the MetroRail and ride it to the OB". Uh, nope. The UM students actually had to get a TICKET to ride the Metro, which was handed out by people like me, the members of Student Government. And because we got all those tickets from the Athletic Department (who got them from the MetroRail people), we had VERY good data on attendance and ridership (which could be different, as "off-campus" students drove to the OB on their own, while "on-campus" students tended to take the Metro).

Second, your point about the students "not caring" is just ridiculous. Though you have cited a "basketball" example, I've also seen great attendance WHEN SCHOOL IS IN SESSION and when we make the post-season. It's not instantaneous. A winning streak doesn't immediately double or triple the student attendance. But being good FOR PROLONGED PERIODS absolutely helps attendance.

And let's also not pretend that "UM students" are some unique type of creatures who differ from every other college student in America. There are PLENTY of schools in this country where students are interested in going to university athletic events. And before you try to gaslight me by saying that UM is such a special place due to the warm weather, I would point out that I was just at the Final Four, where I saw quite a few students from UM...and FAU...and SDSU...three of the four Final 4 schools were from "warm-weather climates" where those special snowflake students could find lots of other things to occupy their time.

At the end of the day, the COMMON ISSUE that both "dopey UM alums of the last 15 years" and "non-UM alums" overlook is that AT EVERY UNIVERSITY IN THE COUNTRY (including UM), successful athletic programs and STUDENT ATTENDANCE at those athletic events are precursors to "involved students" and "involved alums" and most importantly "alums who make donations back to the university".

So while short-sighted people want to yammer on and on about "poor student attendance", they are absolutely overlooking THE REASON that a university will invest massive amounts of money in sports:

(A). To increase APPLICATIONS to the university, eventually driving an increase in the ACADEMIC RANKING of that university (see, generally, the University of Alabama)

and

(B). To increase ALUMNI DONATIONS to the university, which come when students had a GOOD TIME at the university, enjoyed their experience, and want to walk the streets proudly wearing the merch from the university which continues to have good football/basketball/baseball teams.

So while I understand and acknowlege the feeling among non-UM-alums that "Hurricane Club donations" and "season ticket sales" are the primary drivers here, I guaran-*******-tee you that the UM administration (and the administration at every P5 university) sees the equation far differently, as they view the investment in sports to be much more about Points (A) and (B) above. And I also guaran-*******-tee you that the money generated by ANY university alumni base (for ALL forms of donations) DWARFS that raised by any athletic support club, such as Hurricane Club.

So...no...you can't just write off "student attendance", because it's "bad" right now or because you don't think it will "improve" in the future. That's not how ANY university administration thinks. Don't believe me? Look at what just happened at Colorado. Look at their spring game attendance in 2022...and then compare it to 2023 (in the snow!). Do you think that Colorado threw a bunch of money at Neon Deion because of his pleasant personality?

**** NO.

It was to energize the students and alums, who have been drifting after decades of ****** on-field performance. The stats were down. THE MONEY WAS DOWN. So Colorado decided to do what Miami did one year earlier, and finally invested in sports (again).

You can't write off the students. The students become the alums. And the alums write (most of) the checks FOR THE ENTIRE UNIVERSITY.
I dont think you understand the new student body. a lot has changed since you attended. more and more care less about the program once theyre gone and there are many that dont give back once theyre gone. trust me, there are a lot kids I graduated with that have nothing to do w the school anymore other than throw up the U when they see it or watch games on Saturday.

the population has changed and so has the student.

Never, ever, ever, eveeeeeeeer happening. Marlins are here to stay.

You are entitled to your opinion. There is another very simple option.

Acquire the 8 square blocks due east of Marlins Stadium.

Relocate housing and businesses. Build stadium. Use existing Marlins parking garages (which are PUBLIC garages, not NOT owned by Marlins). Use the remainder of land for tailgating.

Acquire as much land as possible between stadium and Med Campus. Build a Hurry-Cane shuttle lane on NW 12th Avenue between stadium and Med Campus and use Marlins/Hurricanes parking to service the Med Campus.

Extend Marlins parking FULLY to NW 17th Avenue. Finally realize commercial development along NW 12th and 17th Avenues and NW 7th Street.

Acquire Winn Dixie building. Move Culmer station to Winn Dixie parking lot and connect Hurry-Cane shuttle.

Advertisement
Dark horse candidate could be whenever the unicorn facility gets built for InterMiami...

that facility is always 5 years away from starting...

obviously doesn't solve "walking from campus" problem...

but neither did the OB...

Primary issues with InterMiami site include (possible) limitations on stadium HEIGHT due to MIA flight paths (thus limiting capacity generally, and luxury boxes specifically), as well as some of the InterMiami/Melreese parking will be underground.

My suggestion with the Magic City/dirt-mall location is to use the proximity of that location PLUS InterMiami's site for additional parking (linked by a game-day shuttle). This would apply to both sites, InterMiami uses the football area for extra parking, and the football stadium uses InterMiami for additional parking.

With the Mas brothers owning InterMiami, there are definitely possibilities for synergy. After all...we use DRV PNK for the spring games...

Relocate housing and businesses. Build stadium. Use existing Marlins parking garages (which are PUBLIC garages, not NOT owned by Marlins). Use the remainder of land for tailgating.

Acquire as much land as possible between stadium and Med Campus. Build a Hurry-Cane shuttle lane on NW 12th Avenue between stadium and Med Campus and use Marlins/Hurricanes parking to service the Med Campus.

Extend Marlins parking FULLY to NW 17th Avenue. Finally realize commercial development along NW 12th and 17th Avenues and NW 7th Street.

Acquire Winn Dixie building. Move Culmer station to Winn Dixie parking lot and connect Hurry-Cane shuttle.
I love those ideas.

If I quoted Samuel Clemens, you'd know who I was referencing, right? And, based on any definition of the word "poem" you want to use, hip-hop is poetry.

Now I know you're ******* with me. I can't possibly be talking to the only person on the planet, who lived through the year 2003 and did not know who 50 Cent was until today.
i know who 50 cent is. i wrote a few contracts about a decade ago that he was involved in when i represented another rapper. his former CPA is a good friend, but i never knew his real name.

he is a poet as much as i am a supreme court ready justice. considering your statement about rap being poetry, i know understand your obdurance (@nystateofmind) and how your mind works.

Advertisement

i love the plan.

Primary issues with InterMiami site include (possible) limitations on stadium HEIGHT due to MIA flight paths (thus limiting capacity generally, and luxury boxes specifically), as well as some of the InterMiami/Melreese parking will be underground.

My suggestion with the Magic City/dirt-mall location is to use the proximity of that location PLUS InterMiami's site for additional parking (linked by a game-day shuttle). This would apply to both sites, InterMiami uses the football area for extra parking, and the football stadium uses InterMiami for additional parking.

With the Mas brothers owning InterMiami, there are definitely possibilities for synergy. After all...we use DRV PNK for the spring games...
95% will be underground.

Agreed. I was at both (and many others) and these "youngsters" have no idea of the insanity and the LOUDNESS of the OB in the 1980s. Seriously, they just don't comprehend.
The 89 ND game was an Insane Asylum. But the noise I heard when Carlos crossed the Goal line in 94 was unlike anything I ever heard at the OB.

Advertisement
The OB was wayyyy louder...Literally on Top of the field, and steeper.

In the Orange Bowl, the ratio of fans in the lower deck to the upper deck was roughly 2:1.

In Joe Robbie, prior to eliminating the seating in the corners, the ratio of fans in the lower deck to the upper deck was roughly 1:2 (the most recent stadium renovations added seats in the lower bowl and removed seats in the upper deck).

Having twice as many fans in the lower bowl of the Orange Bowl MADE A DIFFERENCE. Nothing about 2017 in Hard Rock can ever reproduce what the Orange Bowl allowed for in terms of fan noise.

In the Orange Bowl, the ratio of fans in the lower deck to the upper deck was roughly 2:1.

In Joe Robbie, prior to eliminating the seating in the corners, the ratio of fans in the lower deck to the upper deck was roughly 1:2 (the most recent stadium renovations added seats in the lower bowl and removed seats in the upper deck).

Having twice as many fans in the lower bowl of the Orange Bowl MADE A DIFFERENCE. Nothing about 2017 in Hard Rock can ever reproduce what the Orange Bowl allowed for in terms of fan noise.
How fitting that the Loudest 2 games in OB History (89 ND & 94 FSU) were against defending NCs...

Keep preachin Rell, but the fatalists here are never going to acknowledge it. Most are too well attached to their easy commute and club-level tickets to spare a thought for the actual wellbeing of the program.

We are just supposed to live at the behest of whoever owns the dolphins... forever. Never mind that we are losing out on a vital revenue stream. Forget that the place is sterile and (most often) empty. Ignore the fact that our players don't like playing there (and our students don't like going there). Let's continue to be one of three college football teams that can't be bothered to operate its own game-day facility, because it's easier that way.

Completely true.

And those same people yap about traffic and zoning and land acquisition challenges, while every single other big city GETS **** DONE.

i know who 50 cent is. i wrote a few contracts about a decade ago that he was involved in when i represented another rapper. his former CPA is a good friend, but i never knew his real name.

he is a poet as much as i am a supreme court ready justice. considering your statement about rap being poetry, i know understand your obdurance (@nystateofmind) and how your mind works.
Rap is poetry, whether you like it or not. I'm not a fan of Keats (or Byron or Shelley or...), but I won't deny the art and skill.

Today's Court, sure. Almost anyone would be an upgrade over Thomas, and that's at the top of the list, before we get down to the likes of the boofer in chief and Mrs. Handmaid's Tale. Good luck breaking through to the Warren Court, though.

PS - Don't say anything in response that might get you band. I think I'm toeing a fine line here.

Advertisement
Back