MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Uh, this is not true. That is a massive overstatement.

The main campus of UM is 453 acres.

Hard Rock is on 160 acres of land. And we would not need a full 160 acres (as the FOOTBALL operations of Hard Rock no longer require either).

The baseball A's just purchased 49 acres of land in Las Vegas (and may add another 8 acres). Yes, it's baseball, they don't tailgate the way that college football does, but that's just for comparative purposes.

I have continued to state that ANY stadium build for UM football should be a mix of parking-garage parking and surface parking.
According to UM's website, the main campus is 239 acres. So, yeah still bigger than Hardrock property but not that much bigger.

Advertisement
The 3 Loudest plays I heard at the OB...
* Carlos Jones Pick6 (by far)
* Randall Hills 3rd & 43
* Hesters KO return in 03

(Honorable Mention) CJ Richardsons INT and return in the 94 UM-FSU game.

Fine, I disagree - in the sense that a stadium can/should be looked at similar to any other capital/infrastructure improvement project/opportunity. Just one example - Michigan spent 250 million upgrading the Big House in 2010 and another 50 million this year. I am not sure how that money was raised, but ultimately their trustees did not see it, nor did anyone else, as a dereliction of their duties to invest in their stadium.

The availability of the land wasn't the crux of my point. Had more to do with the fact that for 50 years professional athletes weren't even allowed in Las Vegas, but today billion-dollar franchises are flocking there (readily available land probably helps, sure). But for YEARS people had been saying Las Vegas will NEVER have a professional team. All it took was enough money.
you are talking about a stadium already built on campus? big difference.

go convince an anti-male, heavily Marxist faculty and the trustees that hate football that spending $1B on a football stadium at tropical equals other capital improvement projects on campus (housing, academics etc.).

although apparently not your argument, the scarcity of land is THE central problem for the stadium.

I was just told by a very reputable source that Elon Musk is building a stadium for us on the moon and he’s going to be constructing a vacuum tube like you see in the drive-thru at banks that will suck students from a location on bird road to the moon via the high velocity chute.

Exciting times, boys! Buckle up!
This seems reasonable

Do you really think the reason there were no professional teams until quite recently was due to lack of money or entrepreneurial thinking? Come on man. For decades, Vegas and Atlantic City were the gambling meccas of the country. The influence of gambling was the quickest way for your sport to lose credibility in the eyes of the fan - which is why the Black Sox were banished for a lifetime as well as Pete Rose. The NFL had its Paul Hornung and Alex Karras scandals as well. ****, 5 players were just suspended by the NFL in the past week for gambling.

What changed? The fact that more states opened up sports betting over the past 15 years. Now Las Vegas isn't viewed as a pariah, but just as another city as far as pro sports teams are concerned. The money was always there as seen by the fake NY skyline, Eiffel Tower, and half mile long water fountains.
Well, duh. As the great poet Curtis Jackson in his ode 'Many Men' once said - are you illiterate, you can't read between the lines?

I wasn't being literal when I said professional athletes weren't allowed to step foot in Vegas. The exact point I was making (mostly in response to the "it'll never happen" crowd)... things change.

Advertisement
Well, duh. As the great poet Curtis Jackson in his ode 'Many Men' once said - are you illiterate, you can't read between the lines?

I wasn't being literal when I said professional athletes weren't allowed to step foot in Vegas. The exact point I was making (mostly in response to the "it'll never happen" crowd)... things change.

never heard of the poet curtis jackson . . .

It wasn't all that much better when Miami was DOMINANT and all the students had to do was show up to the Metrorail and ride it to the OB. This is something our fans, most of whom couldn't find campus with GPS refuse to understand. Even when the team is elite, unless it's a huge game, the students don't care. Want an example? Look at the basketball program. Even though L has taken Miami a HISTORIC ride, you can see that the kids only really care about the big games. That's a facility ON CAMPUS, all you have to do is walk over to the Watsco, and there are STILL games where the student section is half full, and it holds far less than what a football stadium does.

This is absolute and complete bull****. And so typical of the know-nothing-but-think-they-know-it-all alums of the last 15 years.

I've detailed this before, but I'll make it simple.

First, in the 1980s and 1990s and early 2000s, we were REQUIRED to pay the Athletic Fee. Thus, we COULD go to the games for free. We didn't have to decide to pay the fee or buy individual tickets. And don't try to tell me "it wasn't all that much better when Miami was DOMINANT", because you are flat-out wrong.

And I'm not saying that because I "disagree" with you, I'm saying it because I actually know the numbers. Because you are ALSO wrong about "all the students had to do was show up to the MetroRail and ride it to the OB". Uh, nope. The UM students actually had to get a TICKET to ride the Metro, which was handed out by people like me, the members of Student Government. And because we got all those tickets from the Athletic Department (who got them from the MetroRail people), we had VERY good data on attendance and ridership (which could be different, as "off-campus" students drove to the OB on their own, while "on-campus" students tended to take the Metro).

Second, your point about the students "not caring" is just ridiculous. Though you have cited a "basketball" example, I've also seen great attendance WHEN SCHOOL IS IN SESSION and when we make the post-season. It's not instantaneous. A winning streak doesn't immediately double or triple the student attendance. But being good FOR PROLONGED PERIODS absolutely helps attendance.

And let's also not pretend that "UM students" are some unique type of creatures who differ from every other college student in America. There are PLENTY of schools in this country where students are interested in going to university athletic events. And before you try to gaslight me by saying that UM is such a special place due to the warm weather, I would point out that I was just at the Final Four, where I saw quite a few students from UM...and FAU...and SDSU...three of the four Final 4 schools were from "warm-weather climates" where those special snowflake students could find lots of other things to occupy their time.

At the end of the day, the COMMON ISSUE that both "dopey UM alums of the last 15 years" and "non-UM alums" overlook is that AT EVERY UNIVERSITY IN THE COUNTRY (including UM), successful athletic programs and STUDENT ATTENDANCE at those athletic events are precursors to "involved students" and "involved alums" and most importantly "alums who make donations back to the university".

So while short-sighted people want to yammer on and on about "poor student attendance", they are absolutely overlooking THE REASON that a university will invest massive amounts of money in sports:

(A). To increase APPLICATIONS to the university, eventually driving an increase in the ACADEMIC RANKING of that university (see, generally, the University of Alabama)

and

(B). To increase ALUMNI DONATIONS to the university, which come when students had a GOOD TIME at the university, enjoyed their experience, and want to walk the streets proudly wearing the merch from the university which continues to have good football/basketball/baseball teams.

So while I understand and acknowlege the feeling among non-UM-alums that "Hurricane Club donations" and "season ticket sales" are the primary drivers here, I guaran-*******-tee you that the UM administration (and the administration at every P5 university) sees the equation far differently, as they view the investment in sports to be much more about Points (A) and (B) above. And I also guaran-*******-tee you that the money generated by ANY university alumni base (for ALL forms of donations) DWARFS that raised by any athletic support club, such as Hurricane Club.

So...no...you can't just write off "student attendance", because it's "bad" right now or because you don't think it will "improve" in the future. That's not how ANY university administration thinks. Don't believe me? Look at what just happened at Colorado. Look at their spring game attendance in 2022...and then compare it to 2023 (in the snow!). Do you think that Colorado threw a bunch of money at Neon Deion because of his pleasant personality?

**** NO.

It was to energize the students and alums, who have been drifting after decades of ****** on-field performance. The stats were down. THE MONEY WAS DOWN. So Colorado decided to do what Miami did one year earlier, and finally invested in sports (again).

You can't write off the students. The students become the alums. And the alums write (most of) the checks FOR THE ENTIRE UNIVERSITY.

as an aside to the above, having coffee Saturday morning at the old Krispy Kreme location/now a Starbucks in front of the U., i struck up a conversation with a UM professor and he told me that UM had to cut off applications earlier than expected this year when the number hit 55,000, THAT IS CORRECT. 55,000 for what I would estimate a 2,000 person class.

its far better than trying to get into key biscayne on a weekend and the facilities are better.

Oh, wow, you're telling us that transportation/parking at a location that is near the intersection of I-95, I-75, the Turnpike, and the Palmetto is better than on an island that only has one causeway on/off?

Shocking...

The facilities are better? Whatever. They are NEWER. I went out to the tournament when it was first created on Key Biscayne, and the facilities were great. But, yeah, building a tennis center in a football stadium parking lot creates suuuuuch better facilities...

Ridiculous...

Advertisement
as an aside to the above, having coffee Saturday morning at the old Krispy Kreme location/now a Starbucks in front of the U., i struck up a conversation with a UM professor and he told me that UM had to cut off applications earlier than expected this year when the number hit 55,000, THAT IS CORRECT. 55,000 for what I would estimate a 2,000 person class.

Thank the basketball team.

And the incoming class size will be more like 4,000. You always have freshman attrition.

Wait; now this idiot is disagreeing w/ u?? Wtf?

I’ve said it once, I say it again…the 2017 ND game was a perfect crescendo for both at the stadium & viewership.

1. It was a prime time, Nat’l televised game
2. Game Day was at the facilities
3. It marked a top 10 match up between two historic rivals
4. We were on a 13 game winning streak facing a ND team on a 7 game winning streak
5. It was NDs first time in Miami in 30 yrs
6. It was a revenge game for losing a heart breaker to ND in 2016

I mean it literally couldn’t be scripted any better…and it still pales in comparison to how the OB used to **** near rock off its foundation when ND came to town in ‘89. As a kid, watching on TV it left an indelible impression & motivated me to get to an OB game as soon as I was old enough. I wanted that action.
you NEEDED that action baby!

Oh, wow, you're telling us that transportation/parking at a location that is near the intersection of I-95, I-75, the Turnpike, and the Palmetto is better than on an island that only has one causeway on/off?

Shocking...

The facilities are better? Whatever. They are NEWER. I went out to the tournament when it was first created on Key Biscayne, and the facilities were great. But, yeah, building a tennis center in a football stadium parking lot creates suuuuuch better facilities...

Ridiculous...

Wasn't there massive pushback from NIMBY's and the Matheson family when the Miami Open organizers proposed renovating the Crandon Park tennis facilities?

you are talking about a stadium already built on campus? big difference.

go convince an anti-male, heavily Marxist faculty and the trustees that hate football that spending $1B on a football stadium at tropical equals other capital improvement projects on campus (housing, academics etc.).

although apparently not your argument, the scarcity of land is THE central problem for the stadium.
Why is it a big difference? 300 million (for a stadium) is 300 million. And, why do I have to show all my work, but you're allowed to just hand-wave? lol. And I know it's a problem, perhaps THE problem, I just don't think it's a solution-less problem.

*Tangent* - Admittedly, I am not sure how the land/buildings were acquired (maybe @TheOriginalCane could help me out) so this might backfire on me, but you know that we have an adjunct campus, right? Perched on a prime piece of real estate, right on the water in Key Biscayne. Complete with a dozen buildings and a fleet of research vessels. My guess is that you'd agree with me that the capital needed to obtain that land and construct those buildings and buy those boats and operate that facility was "necessary" if our goal were to have a world-class marine research program. But, to have a world-class football program we can't do (essentially) the same thing (might need a few more 0s, I get it)?

And, lastly, since I think I'm done (for now - I'm sure another one of these threads will pop up in 8 months and I won't be able to constrain myself then) and not necessarily directed at you specifically - but I'd be remiss if I didn't call out those who want to have their "we're a professional team" cake and eat it too. How many professional teams don't at the very least operate their own stadium? I know Arison doesn't "own" whatever they are calling the AAA these days, but there aren't green seats in the lower bowl.

Not gonna touch that middle part.

Advertisement
The ND game in 2017 became a snooze-fest in the 2nd half, whereas the 89 game was sustained electricity for hours, or so I'm told (still raging about not having been there).
Snooze fest? You weren't sitting near us!! Enjoyed every second of that game. Shame UM hasn't had a game to be proud of since that one.

Advertisement
Wasn't there massive pushback from NIMBY's and the Matheson family when the Miami Open organizers proposed renovating the Crandon Park tennis facilities?
yes, mostly from the Matheson family because the expansion violated the terms of the agreement with the family, but govt generally does care about such small nuisances.

What is so embarrassing about playing in a stadium that is so easily accessible and is so nice it is worthy of hosting the superbowl every 4 years or so?

Is it worthy of hosting the Super Bowl every 4 years or so? Really?

Since it opened 36 years ago, Joe Robbie Stadium has hosted the Super Bowl six times. And the earliest it could get the Super Bowl a 7th time would be 2026, though San Francisco is favored for that one.

1989 - the year of the infamous riots...kinda scared the NFL into not rushing back until
1995 - and then we finally got a "4 years later return" in
1999 - by then the stadium was already looking so-so, the Marlins had settled in, so it wasn't until
2007 - when the stadium started to spruce itself up again, and then shockingly
2010 - only three years later, the stadium got another shot after the NYC "west side" stadium project fell through, and then
2020 - where it took TEN YEARS and a massive stadium renovation to bring Joe Robbie back up to a minimal level that many other stadiums had surpassed

Congratulations, Hard Rock, you finally spent enough money to make an old stadium Super-Bowl-worthy again, and then you started to wreck it again with the tennis center, and the Dolphins practice facility, and the F1 track...

Seeing as how we all know you would chain yourself to one of the pine trees on 82d ave, which leaves TP out of the question, what's the major philosophical hurdle at Magic City?

Unless, in addition to your affection for terrible softball fields, a murky brown lake rife with brain-eating amoebae, and half-century old horse stables, you also think grandma is endowed with the unalienable right to throw away her social security at an off-brand slot parlor. In that case, yeah, the dog track would be untouchable.

There is NO barrier to Magic City/dirt-mall north of Magic City, except for money.

Buy the land (both sides of NW 7th Street) and build the stadium. Easy-peasy.

it was the city of miami and the UM administration.

Joe Robbie asked the City to help subsidize the redevelopment of the OB by building luxury skyboxes which in the 1980s became a massive revenue stream for owners. he proposed that the redevelopment occur for a period of years to keep the OB in operation but revamped. the same thing that Soldier Stadium in Chicago and Lambeau in Green Bay did.

the city of miami said no in part because the city was bankrupt following the tumultous 1980s. so did UM. both the city and UM lacked vision and balls. robbie had both.

robbie then said **** you i'm leaving and ted arison gave him the land where HRS is today and robbie built the stadium with his own money.

once robbie left, the OB was done since it made no sense to keep up a stadium that was being used for 6 games a year. the orange bowl game had already moved to robbie stadium.

enter the marlins and they had everything ready, the opening, the lube and all they needed to do was insert the tool, which they did.

Come on, man, stop blaming UM and "the 1980s". You do know that Joe Robbie BROKE GROUND on the stadium in 1985, which means he acquired the land years earlier. And let's not forget that this all started in the 1970s (when the Dolphins were actually good):

Team founder Joe Robbie explained what led to the decision to build a new stadium: "In 1976, the city of Miami wanted to quadruple our rent. That did it. I began thinking in earnest about building a stadium."

Please stop building the false myth about how Joe Robbie had "vision and balls". Joe Robbie was a notorious cheapskate and swindler, he made money by ******** over everyone else. Don't make me go pull the Sports Illustrated article from the early 1970s that talks about how Joe Robbie swindled all the other early Dolphins minority investors (like Danny Thomas) out of their ownership.

Advertisement
Back