MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Advertisement
The movement to incorporate stadiums into the center of cities vs. out in the wastelands has been a proven boon. Besides being a local economic stimulus, a stadium at Tropical Park for example, would probably have 25,000 people that could WALK to the games, and another 100k that could bike there or take a 10 minute uber or get dropped off easily, plus public transport etc. Vs. practically ZERO at HRS. Of course only a fraction of them will come each week, which is still something, but it would create a boost and a base to build on, and integrate the team (and the school) deeper into the community. It would absolutely attract new fans and create a much more collegiate atmosphere. Anyone who says differently has an agenda or was dropped on their head too many times. That's the proven blueprint.

This doesn't even take into affect how much more convenient it would be for the 34,000 employees and students at the U to attend.

I think we would draw an extra 10k per game once we found our footing (70k-80k more tickets sold per season). Gameday would light up the southern part of Miami, it wouldn't be isolated to an industrial wasteland next to the turnpike like HRH. People would feel it. Each week would be an event with aftershocks that didn't live in a bubble.

Last edited:
Hmmm; I’ve noticed that at the heat game ppl show up late, even during the LBJ yrs. Also, it’s probably not best to say a lot of teams do this & then proceed to give me all Miami based teams. Lol.
It's really, really hard to navigate traffic, park and get there on time, particularly on a weekday. I took my son to his first Heat game this year and I missed a good portion of the 1st, despite giving myself a lot of time to do the drive, park and walk. That area is just not built whatsoever to accommodate 20,000 people to flow in and out of a game expeditiously.

It's really, really hard to navigate traffic, park and get there on time, particularly on a weekday. I took my son to his first Heat game this year and I missed a good portion of the 1st, despite giving myself a lot of time to do the drive, park and walk. That area is just not built whatsoever to accommodate 20,000 people to flow in and out of a game expeditiously.

Agreed. Been there. I thought it was going to be like The Clippers game from way back in the day where u can buy a nose bleed seat & then work ur way down due to no shows. Lol. But, that wasn’t the case at all; ppl showed up late & it was packed.

Hmmm; I’ve noticed that at the heat game ppl show up late, even during the LBJ yrs. Also, it’s probably not best to say a lot of teams do this & then proceed to give me all Miami based teams. Lol.
well im more familiar with miami based teams than other teams considering the teams I follow

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sports...ttendance-figures-speak-lies/?sh=282090ec2b2a

restaurateur Russell J. Salvatore made a last-minute purchase of 7,000 to 8,000 tickets - the bills did this years ago

ross used to buy up tickets to prevent the black out too (I went to a blacked out playoff game for the fins when we played the colts)

this is na old article but it explains when it switched

Advertisement
I didnt say there are reasons (like you said, it's a pain in the *** bc there are only a few ways to get to the arena esp in traffic).

the heat have dealt with a late arriving crowd tho even before recently or even LBJ and Bosh arrived. theyre not new. fins game have this issue. canes games obviously.

The movement to incorporate stadiums into the center of cities vs. out in the wastelands has been a proven boon. Besides being a local economic stimulus, a stadium at Tropical Park for example, would probably have 25,000 people that could WALK to the games, and another 100k that could bike there or take a 10 minute uber or get dropped off easily, plus public transport etc. Vs. practically ZERO at HRS. Of course only a fraction of them will come each week, which is still something, but it would create a boost and a base to build on, and integrate the team (and the school) deeper into the community. It would absolutely attract new fans and create a much more collegiate atmosphere. Anyone who says differently has an agenda or was dropped on their head too many times. That's the proven blueprint.

This doesn't even take into affect how much more convenient it would be for the 34,000 employees and students at the U to attend.

I think we would draw an extra 10k per game once we found our footing (70k-80k more tickets sold per season). Gameday would light up the southern part of Miami, it wouldn't be isolated to an industrial wasteland next to the turnpike like HRH. People would feel it. Each week would be an event with aftershocks that didn't live in a bubble.
You just don't understand the cane fan demographic..

tropical park isnt really in the center of the city lol. you do know where it is right?

center of the city would be where marlins park currently is.

for an area that doesn't have public transit, moving out to a spot with ample space and parking actually makes more sense. if we were using the birghtline and then metro mover to get to heat games, diff story

lol 25k are not ******* walking in miami. idk where you've lived where you think thats happening lol.

there is no reliable or even decent public transit in miami.

I didnt say there are reasons (like you said, it's a pain in the *** bc there are only a few ways to get to the arena esp in traffic).

the heat have dealt with a late arriving crowd tho even before recently or even LBJ and Bosh arrived. theyre not new. fins game have this issue. canes games obviously.
I feel like with the Fins and the Canes though, most folks are in the stadium, they're just eating or drinking or chatting it up. But with the Heat, I think legitimately there are throes of people outside working their way in. At this last Heat game I attended, there was a huge mass of folks walking in with us late. This was well after tip-off. I hated being that late (particularly because the seats are pricey, but sh*t, getting there is an event in and of itself).

Advertisement
tropical park isnt really in the center of the city lol. you do know where it is right?

center of the city would be where marlins park currently is.

for an area that doesn't have public transit, moving out to a spot with ample space and parking actually makes more sense. if we were using the birghtline and then metro mover to get to heat games, diff story

lol 25k are not ******* walking in miami. idk where you've lived where you think thats happening lol.

there is no reliable or even decent public transit in miami.

You missed the point. The "center" of the city part? Huh? That was your takeaway? Who cares? It's about being near PEOPLE. Whether they are in South Miami, Coconut Grove, Brickell, it doesn't matter. You kinda made my point actually. Yes, if you put a stadium in a park in a neighborhood that is surrounded by RESIDENTS, people who live there WILL walk on game day because they will be walking through a gamey environment that will spread through the neighborhood, people will bike, the areas around the stadium will become part of the gameday experience. They will develop too. What we are actually talking about is so many people will live so close to the stadium, it will become part of their lives and they will take an interest because its in front of their face and it becomes a layup. That creates new fans, boosts attendance, creates a game day environment. GameDay at Tropical Park! This is cannon, not theory.

It's wild to me that some people think that putting a business in the middle of nowhere is a better idea than putting a business where people are. Zoom out!

You just don't understand the cane fan demographic..

Nah bro. I know everything about it and more. I'm a Cane through and through in every way. Got the paper too. Have lived all over the city. And I have some professional chops in this arena, actually. Most people can only see 6" in front of their face. I'm not one of those people.

I feel like with the Fins and the Canes though, most folks are in the stadium, they're just eating or drinking or chatting it up. But with the Heat, I think legitimately there are throes of people outside working their way in. At this last Heat game I attended, there was a huge mass of folks walking in with us late. This was well after tip-off. I hated being that late (particularly because the seats are pricey, but sh*t, getting there is an event in and of itself).
yes - games on weekdays and weekday evenings will make it tough along w how much busier the area has gotten.

You missed the point. The "center" of the city part? Huh? That was your takeaway? Who cares? It's about being near PEOPLE. Whether they are in South Miami, Coconut Grove, Brickell, it doesn't matter. You kinda made my point actually. Yes, if you put a stadium in a park in a neighborhood that is surrounded by RESIDENTS, people who live there WILL walk on game day because they will be walking through a gamey environment that will spread through the neighborhood, people will bike, the areas around the stadium will become part of the gameday experience. They will develop too. What we are actually talking about is so many people will live so close to the stadium, it will become part of their lives and they will take an interest because its in front of their face and it becomes a layup. That creates new fans, boosts attendance, creates a game day environment. GameDay at Tropical Park! This is cannon, not theory.

It's wild to me that some people think that putting a business in the middle of nowhere is a better idea than putting a business where people are. Zoom out!

Nah bro. I know everything about it and more. I'm a Cane through and through in every way. Got the paper too. Have lived all over the city. And I have some professional chops in this arena, actually. Most people can only see 6" in front of their face. I'm not one of those people.
im not sure you know the market but w.e. you think youre right bc you've lived all over and you know. maybe youre one of the ****ed up construction guys that build ****** buildings in the city

Then you understand that 80 % of the "paying" fan base wants to drive their personal vehicle to the game. Bicycle an walking ain't gonna cut it.. No mass transit, no Uber, no nothing, beside our Suburban's an Tahoe's.

Advertisement
im not sure you know the market but w.e. you think youre right bc you've lived all over and you know. maybe youre one of the ****ed up construction guys that build ****** buildings in the city

You have vivid imagination, kid. I'll give you that.

Then you understand that 80 % of the "paying" fan base wants to drive their personal vehicle to the game. Bicycle an walking ain't gonna cut it.. No mass transit, no Uber, no nothing, beside our Suburban's an Tahoe's.

Oh boy. You're not following and you're kinda putting words in my mouth indirectly. Let me sorta bulletpoint it:

This is not a transportation discussion. This is an attendance discussion.

Most people drive to the game. AGREED!

Having a stadium in a park surrounded on all sides by densely populated neighborhoods will add incremental attendance to what would already come.

People within walking distance will walk. Because why wouldn't you? Much easier than driving, dealing with traffic, getting in and out. It will be a nice thing. You will see throngs of fans waking down the tree lines streets towards the stadium on game day. People will have tailgates IN THEIR FRONT YARDS.

Some people that live a little further to where the walk might be a bit annoying or unrealistic will ride bikes, scooters, you name it. Any new stadium is going to be designed to cater to anyone not driving. Charging stations, VIP bike parking, etc. Green initiative are encouraged. Why? Because for some people it's much easier than driving, dealing with traffic, getting in and out. It will be a nice thing that actually saves time.

And some of them will also take game day shuttles. When you have so many people living so close, you can move people from very close to their homes to the stadium very quickly. Those shuttles can make endless runs.

Whether they are walking, riding, scooting OR EVEN DRIVING A MILE IF THEY WANT TO, having tens of thousands of people living so close to the stadium will create a new group of attendees, new fans, in addition to people who are already UM fans, attended UM, etc. And again, there are 34,000+ UM employees and students who spend 5-7 days of their week on a campus 10 minutes away. So you now have a rich target audience with some skin in the game who logically live pretty close by. They can pop over for the game without having to drive through Miami. Converting more of them on game day will be a lay up for the AD.

Game day will be a visible, highly interactive experience that will extend into the neighborhoods. It won't be a thing that occurs in a vacuum in a pit off of the turnpike that you get a glimpse of while you are doing 80 up to Boca to see Aunt Rosie.

The people who are walking and driving are probably 95% incremental ticket sales, new fans taking advantage of something that is new to the community.

This is not a transportation discussion. This is an attendance discussion.

Again, most people will still drive to the game.

Having the stadium in a population center will increase attendance.

Fin. :)

Nobody is going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars building a stadium and “gift” it to the University.

Even if Ruiz did ever build a stadium, UM would just be renting it from him.

In order for UM to actually have their own stadium, they would have to build it themselves.

It’s like saying “I want all the perks of owning a successful business but I want someone else to use their money to start it and build it and then just hand over the finished product to me for free”.
Thank you

Advertisement
wait till he figures out our attendance sucked *** when we were in the middle of a neighborhood in little Havana. it isnt where the stadium is located, its the fanbase itself. we never drew well unless we played FSU/UF at home or literally came off a title (any team down here draws well when the team is good).

wait till he figures out our attendance sucked *** when we were in the middle of a neighborhood in little Havana. it isnt where the stadium is located, its the fanbase itself. we never drew well unless we played FSU/UF at home or literally came off a title (any team down here draws well when the team is good).

LOL I lived in the OB, buddy. **** I actually have a row of seats from it. :)

I also know a little something about conversions, marketing, demographic trends, sales and more. Well, a lot.

Using attendance data etc. for University of Miami football games from 15-40 years ago at a stadium in Little Havana as a blueprint for how CFB attendance will be driven in 2026 or so at a stadium a couple of miles west of UM would be a great way to get laughed out of the room.

We're a different school now, we're a different program, CFB has completely changed, as is how you market anything and everything. The world has changed a lot in the last twenty years.

LOL I lived in the OB, buddy. **** I actually have a row of seats from it. :)

I also know a little something about conversions, marketing, demographic trends, sales and more. Well, a lot.

Using attendance data etc. for University of Miami football games from 15-40 years ago at a stadium in Little Havana as a blueprint for how CFB attendance will be driven in 2026 or so at a stadium a couple of miles west of UM would be a great way to get laughed out of the room.

We're a different school now, we're a different program, CFB has completely changed, as is how you market anything and everything. The world has changed a lot in the last twenty years.
I lived in the OB too. I was born in this city you claim to know. please explain your great plan and expertise where a city and fanbase that has never truly cared about sports will suddenly care. our students actually care less than the students did 20 years ago.

Advertisement
Back