MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Didn’t mean to give a thumbs up. You must have only gone to big games at the orange bowl because even in the early 90s in the middle of the 58 game home winning streak and undefeated seasons, when Rutgers came to town that stadium was barely half full.

South Florida is an event town with a fairly small base of fans who go to all games. The rest only go when it’s a big game getting hype. All things being equal the stadium situation we have now is leaps and bounds better than anything we have ever had.
I tried saying this but we have fans here who actually think our attendance at the OB was good.

Advertisement
You make some good points.

However, I'd say the reason for the Heat's success has nothing to do with the location of their facility (they've always been in downtown) and everything to do Micky Arison buying the team and bringing Pat Riley on as coach in the '90s and then moving to the front office in the '00's.

The Dolphins did host an AFC Championship in 1992. Teams win based on their talent - on the field and coaching. Unfortunately, the Dolphins and Canes have both been lacking this for the past 20 years (more for the Dolphins). Get the talent level up to 2000-2002 levels and they will win. Whether they play in Coral Gables, Miami Gardens, or anywhere else.
You make some good points.

However, I'd say the reason for the Heat's success has nothing to do with the location of their facility (they've always been in downtown) and everything to do Micky Arison buying the team and bringing Pat Riley on as coach in the '90s and then moving to the front office in the '00's.

The Dolphins did host an AFC Championship in 1992. Teams win based on their talent - on the field and coaching. Unfortunately, the Dolphins and Canes have both been lacking this for the past 20 years (more for the Dolphins). Get the talent level up to 2000-2002 levels and they will win. Whether they play in Coral Gables, Miami Gardens, or anywhere else.

I hear you and hear that a lot. “Winning Cures All” or “Just Win Baby” for you Raiders fans in the house.

I also hear the word “Culture” thrown out a lot. It’s practically been branded by the Miami Heat on all their gear. I believe in culture and the many elements that go into it. The culture in downtown Miami vs the culture in say Ft. Lauderdale is vastly different even though they are relatively close.

Culture is the reason we mention palm trees and beaches in virtually all Canes propaganda. Culture is why we throw ticker tape parades in Downtown Miami when we win and not Miami Gardens or Las Olas Blvd. Joe Robbie is remote. When visiting teams play us now they can easily avoid distraction and our “culture” which they couldn’t escape in say Little Havana” for example.

Remember when Bosworth got prank called in his hotel room? Oklahoma was staying at The Fountainbleu on Sobe. Where do teams stay now? The Super 8 hotel on Ives Dairy Rd?

The Lakers and Heat know the 6th man is the cultures of LA and MIA. We used it pretty well back in the day…you could see downtown from the open end of the stadium and then have your car keyed by a “No Blocky” entrepreneur.

It’s not the only thing, just one of the things that made playing at Miami better. I’ve mentioned this before but the Herald ran a quote from Dan Marino (when the OB was being torn down) and he felt playing in actual Miami was a greater connection to the city and much more of a home field advantage playing at JR.

Occasionally if we are good we can pack the house at Hard Rock for a big game.

I think to attract the casuals that “like” UM but not enough to hit up Miami Gardens on a Saturday, it would help to be somewhere you could metro move to on a whim or sheesh even bike. Maybe a place that has life around it. More than just Tootsies which is a fine establishment.

Seriously if it were up to me the stadium would be on Ocean Drive, barely clothed Caribbean, South American and Euro models would be granted free admission while 2 Live Crew blasts from the speakers. I’ll call it Mango Croqueta Stadium

Kidding. (Or am I)

All joking aside I know Tropical Park is also not glitzy but it does have the High School football history and it is closer to the school. Recruit Official Visits would include Stadium Visits (what a time to be alive)

Also side question:

If the Dolphins win the Super Bowl would the parade be in downtown Miami? I mean none of the players live in Miami. Davie is a trek

You are correct that I live north of the stadium. The convenience of where the stadium is situated is absolutely one of the reasons I like it so much. Something I would imagine even people coming from south of the stadium would appreciate as well. What more can you ask for than a stadium directly off a major highway with very easy access in and out. The other things I like so much are the comfortable seats, the massive video boards, the view of the field, the quality concession options and staying bone dry during hurricane like conditions. Not sure what about any of the things I have listed would not be appealing to you or anyone else. I guess the only thing you really want is a stadium that is geographically close to where you are, everything else be damned. Keep dreaming because it won’t be happening any time soon.
He doesn’t live down there. It’s obviously a nice facility. It would be better for the school if it was where the OB was or in close proximity to campus but it’s not and there’s a long-term lease in place so I think it’s likely water under the bridge for now. I don’t live down there anymore so I’m not emotional on the issue based on drive time.

Advertisement
In 2013 at HRS we averaged 53,837

In 2001 at the OB we Averaged 46,162

Our NC years in the 80's at the OB we averaged around 50,000.
Doesn’t shock me. There were empty seats at regular games from what I remember. A big game like Notre Dame when we destroyed them was pretty packed I recall.

I hear you and hear that a lot. “Winning Cures All” or “Just Win Baby” for you Raiders fans in the house.

I also hear the word “Culture” thrown out a lot. It’s practically been branded by the Miami Heat on all their gear. I believe in culture and the many elements that go into it. The culture in downtown Miami vs the culture in say Ft. Lauderdale is vastly different even though they are relatively close.

Culture is the reason we mention palm trees and beaches in virtually all Canes propaganda. Culture is why we throw ticker tape parades in Downtown Miami when we win and not Miami Gardens or Las Olas Blvd. Joe Robbie is remote. When visiting teams play us now they can easily avoid distraction and our “culture” which they couldn’t escape in say Little Havana” for example.

Remember when Bosworth got prank called in his hotel room? Oklahoma was staying at The Fountainbleu on Sobe. Where do teams stay now? The Super 8 hotel on Ives Dairy Rd?

The Lakers and Heat know the 6th man is the cultures of LA and MIA. We used it pretty well back in the day…you could see downtown from the open end of the stadium and then have your car keyed by a “No Blocky” entrepreneur.

It’s not the only thing, just one of the things that made playing at Miami better. I’ve mentioned this before but the Herald ran a quote from Dan Marino (when the OB was being torn down) and he felt playing in actual Miami was a greater connection to the city and much more of a home field advantage playing at JR.

Occasionally if we are good we can pack the house at Hard Rock for a big game.

I think to attract the casuals that “like” UM but not enough to hit up Miami Gardens on a Saturday, it would help to be somewhere you could metro move to on a whim or sheesh even bike. Maybe a place that has life around it. More than just Tootsies which is a fine establishment.

Seriously if it were up to me the stadium would be on Ocean Drive, barely clothed Caribbean, South American and Euro models would be granted free admission while 2 Live Crew blasts from the speakers. I’ll call it Mango Croqueta Stadium

Kidding. (Or am I)

All joking aside I know Tropical Park is also not glitzy but it does have the High School football history and it is closer to the school. Recruit Official Visits would include Stadium Visits (what a time to be alive)

Also side question:

If the Dolphins win the Super Bowl would the parade be in downtown Miami? I mean none of the players live in Miami. Davie is a trek
My guess one in Miami and another in Ft. Lauderdale like the Marlins did 20 years ago. I just hope it happens somewhat soon, I was 2 months old the last time the Dolphins won the SB. When it happens, the parade crowds will dwarf anything the Marlins or Heat ever had. As bad as it has been and for quite a while now, this is a football town first and foremost.

Serious ?; when did the attendance #’s start being juked for HRS/SLS/LS? It was clear that the number announced or publicly given for attendance was not accurate based upon actual bodies at the game.

Last edited:
Barring South Miami getting levelled by an Act of God, making it possible for the University to build a stadium adjacent to or within easy walking distance to campus, we will never have our own stadium. Frankly, it doesn't make an iota of sense to build a billion dollar stadium, and it isn't anywhere near campus.

Never mind the fact that outside of Ross changing the parking, Hard Rock is by far one of the best facilities in college football. You can tell the Miami Fans that have never traveled for road games, versus us that have, it's obvious whenever this topic comes up. It's amazing how a portion of our fanbase jocks the large state schools, forgetting that a wide majority of those facilities are complete garbage dumps. Doak is trash, The Swamp looks like something I modeled with an erector set back in the 5th grade, and Memorial Stadium in Lincoln has bathrooms that haven't been renovated since the Nixon administration. Those fans put up with that nonsense, because the football program is their sole source of entertainment.

Advertisement
Thanks for the history lesson I suppose but our attendance at the ob was never like this. When we REALLY had issues with attendance was for noon games. We didn't have packed stadiums all the time. But you didn't have half the stadium empty.

Amen! I do recall not the greatest crowds at the OB for games like Rutgers but it nowhere as bad as we see at the Hard Rock and thats against bowl teams. Every game it looks really bad

They always go back to that 1 game. That Norte Dame game. The ONE time to prove their point
If they would've seen the Insane Asylum at the OB for the UM vs ND game in 89 they'd be stunned. Or the 94 UM vs FSU game. They think Hard Rock was Rocking for the ND game in 2017 which it was...but completely dwarfed by the games I already mentioned.

Advertisement
Serious ?; when did the attendance #’s start being juked for HRS/SLS/LS? It was clear that the number announced or publicly given for attendance was not accurate based upon actual bodies at the game.
They have always based attendance on tickets sold at HRS. So if you buy a season ticket just to go to the FSU game (this is not uncommon) your seat counts as filled for every game whether you show up or not. They sell roughly 40k season tickets annually so even if there’s only 35,000 people at a game announced attendance would still be 40k+.

They always go back to that 1 game. That Norte Dame game. The ONE time to prove their point

Clearly, you don’t go to games. You also forgot Virginia Tech. 2017 we had a great attendance even for the other lesser games. Why don’t you go to a game sometime, you clown.

I mean the team hasn’t been good for 20 years now. There hasn’t exactly been a ton of memorable big games for the program period. Of course there were more memorable games from the years when the program was good.

The thing about the Orange Bowl was that you knew it was a dump but you could look past that because the team was great and the games meant something. Once the Coker/Shannon years started to roll by, it got really hard to look past all the problems with the stadium.

I was willing to sit on a fiberglass bench designed for 30 seats with 40 people while drinking a **** warm random beer and getting dripped on by what hopefully wasn’t **** leaking from the pipes overhead if the team was competing for titles. But I sure as **** wasn’t going to deal with that to watch a 7-6 team finish 3rd in the ACC coastal every year.

Advertisement
I mean the team hasn’t been good for 20 years now. There hasn’t exactly been a ton of memorable big games for the program period. Of course there were more memorable games from the years when the program was good.

The thing about the Orange Bowl was that you knew it was a dump but you could look past that because the team was great and the games meant something. Once the Coker/Shannon years started to roll by, it got really hard to look past all the problems with the stadium.

I was willing to sit on a fiberglass bench designed for 30 seats with 40 people while drinking a **** warm random beer and getting dripped on by what hopefully wasn’t **** leaking from the pipes overhead if the team was competing for titles. But I sure as **** wasn’t going to deal with that to watch a 7-6 team finish 3rd in the ACC coastal every year.

His argument is stupid, because that whole year the attendance was really pretty ******* amazing at HRS, not just one game.

But he would’ve had to actually had to attend games to know that.

You can always tell the people that never go to games. They’re the ones that lobby the most for a new stadium that’s not going to happen anyway. I’m tired of these discussions. It’s the same stupid **** every time.

His argument is stupid, because the whole year the attendance was really pretty ******* amazing at HRS not just one game. But he would’ve had to actually had to attend games to know that.
It is what it is. Nostalgia can be a *****. Lots of fans think the Orange Bowl was always full because they only went to the FSU games or games against Oklahoma or Notre Dame. That’s what they remember. The 2000 FSU game might have been the greatest fan experience for a sporting event in my life.

But the season ticket holders, the people who went every Saturday, not just once a year, especially the people who were there the last four or five seasons, know the whole story. I want to say the last memorable game at the Orange Bowl was that night game against Louisville when Devin Hester went off. I believe that was 04. After that all my memories at the stadium are just a blur of empty seats and generally bad football leading up to the worst game I ever went to in the final UM game at the OB. That’s the stuff that nostalgia forgets. The games the casual fans skipped to go to the beach.

He doesn’t live down there. It’s obviously a nice facility. It would be better for the school if it was where the OB was or in close proximity to campus but it’s not and there’s a long-term lease in place so I think it’s likely water under the bridge for now. I don’t live down there anymore so I’m not emotional on the issue based on drive time.
Just curious why you think it would be better for the school if it was where the OB was or in close proximity to campus?

Advertisement
Back