MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

It’s been discussed at least 100 times by @Rellyrell the financial value to having a smart stadium deal…

I’d like to see it get legs and see what happens with it…

….even though it is likely to be more inconvenient for me travel wise…

Bro, I’m staying completely far & away from this thread. Lol.

Advertisement
Yes, how dare I think the university owes much of its existence and improvements to donations from major benefactors and sponsors? I mean every building on campus was built that way, but why expect it for a football stadium?
You realize that a football stadium complex would cost significantly more than anything on the campus? Not only would you have to cover the costs of building the facility, you’d have to secure the property which would likely be bigger than the entire UM campus. The largest donation in UM athletics history is 14 million from the Soffers for the indoor facility. That would only be a tiny drop in the bucket of building an actual football stadium. You would need hundreds of millions of dollars.

Guess what they were pointing during all 5 NC's. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for the history lesson I suppose but our attendance at the ob was never like this. When we REALLY had issues with attendance was for noon games. We didn't have packed stadiums all the time. But you didn't have half the stadium empty. To clarify the exact context on this was ALL THROUGHOUT ALL OF OUR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP YEARS. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HE SAID WE ALWAYS HAD EMPTY AN STADIUM. That's just not true.

Last edited:
You realize that a football stadium complex would cost significantly more than anything on the campus? Not only would you have to cover the costs of building the facility, you’d have to secure the property which would likely be bigger than the entire UM campus. The largest donation in UM athletics history is 14 million from the Soffers for the indoor facility. That would only be a tiny drop in the bucket of building an actual football stadium. You would need hundreds of millions of dollars.
Yes, I do realize that. Actually the basketball arena was built for $32 million based on donations and sponsors. Yeah, it would be a helluva project for sure. Louisville got their stadium paid through donations and sponsor dollars.

Advertisement
Yes, it was this bad at times in the OB, even in the glory days. You have a great avatar.
Where I disagreed is when the statement was DURING ALL 5 championship years. Our real attendance problems were towards the beginning when we used to give away tons of seats most weekends. Maybe we need to consider doing that again.

Advertisement
Yes, I do realize that. Actually the basketball arena was built for $32 million based on donations and sponsors. Yeah, it would be a helluva project for sure. Louisville got their stadium paid through donations and sponsor dollars.
we have less support than Louisville does in terms of dollars and sponsorships. papa johns is one of their biggest donors along with Yum brands

Pretty much every college football stadium was built that way. The difference is, those stadiums were all built on University property. Miami doesn’t have the land to build a stadium on. That’s the biggest issue. The actual stadium costs are only a portion of what the total costs would be considered they’d need to procure a huge parcel of land in South Florida where property values are ridiculously high.

That stadium and it's size is one of the reasons teams will always point towards empty seats

Yes but its a double edged sword. If we move into a 45-50K seat stadium, we lose that big game environment that the Canes are historically known for. We last saw it in 2017 for the Va Tech and Notre Dame games. They were on back to back weeks, consecutive sellouts of Hard Rock stadium. Any recruit who was at either of those games would have fallen in love with that environment.

I personally would hate to see the Canes move into a smaller stadium simply because I know Canes fans will fill the stadium if the on-field product is worthy of it.

Advertisement
Seems to me that the entire conversation related to the stadium issue is fan experience vs program health. Each have valid reasons for preference.

Fans: chair upgrades, Luxury suites, parking, facilities, (for some) closer to broward/PB

Players: I briefly spoke to Portis, Reed and Sean Taylor about it in 07 and they were devestated.

Results: no dolphin or canes team has won it all or come close since moving to Joe Robbie.

Programs recruit against us hard due to the “rented” stadium virtually an hour from campus.

If you live anywhere south of Miami Beach, Joe Robbie has always been a DUI adventure zone for many.

I sit at club level every year and am a green lot snob. I love it. Very comfortable, great food options and beautiful stadium.

Would I trade that for a closer stadium that actually feels like it’s in the real Miami? Renew our team identity much like the Miami Heat?

IN A HEARTBEAT.

Do I think it will happen? Not for a while if at all. But if it does I think it would be great for the players, program and greater Miami fans.

That and returning to Nike (adidas contract is up this year) + using only black cleats/socks + signing Noel Divine & Patrick Peterson (wink)

Advertisement
Yes, it was this bad at times in the OB, even in the glory days. You have a great avatar.

Back then they counted real butts in seats, not tickets sold where most aren't even used nowadays.

We report 30k at a game now, it's 10k max. 50k is 20k, etc.

We have always had empty seats, but it's more prevalent now.

We build a 50k stadium, it's still going to have empty seats except for the big matchups. That's where you lose revenue though as you're out 15k and some change that would've been there. 50k for a big game is a joke.

You ever been to a game in Gainesville? If you think what they have is better I’d doubt you have actually been to hard rock
The point wasn’t being better. Fancy doesn’t always make the experience, as the OB showed you. I’d take a loud stadium, with character, that we can fill and that serves cold beer over a half empty pro stadium with fancy skyboxes in the middle of nowhere.

Advertisement
Back