McDermett vs Horn

Advertisement
I'm leaning towards yes.

I don't know if I'd be able to find it now if I looked, but I do remember all of last spring McDermott was a co-first teamer at center with Horn (the laready incumbent starter) and was supposedly playing just as well as him. This was McDermott coming off his RS year. The thing that really allowed Horn to claim the starting spot was his experience and better handle of the offense. After the spring, Golden made Horn one of the main leaders/representatives of the team along with Spence. Once that happened, there was no more competition as you don't want to unseat your offensive captain, and Horn had proven worthy of the starting spot.

With that said, Horn's main weakness during his time at Miami, was just that, his lack of strength at the point of contact. By all accounts, McDermott is significantly stronger than Horn and appears to be a little more explosive.

So, I believe McDermott will prove to be an upgrade (slight?) over Horn as long as he has the mental game down.

I'm leaning towards yes.

I don't know if I'd be able to find it now if I looked, but I do remember all of last spring McDermott was a co-first teamer at center with Horn (the laready incumbent starter) and was supposedly playing just as well as him. This was McDermott coming off his RS year. The thing that really allowed Horn to claim the starting spot was his experience and better handle of the offense. After the spring, Golden made Horn one of the main leaders/representatives of the team along with Spence. Once that happened, there was no more competition as you don't want to unseat your offensive captain, and Horn had proven worthy of the starting spot.

With that said, Horn's main weakness during his time at Miami, was just that, his lack of strength at the point of contact. By all accounts, McDermott is significantly stronger than Horn and appears to be a little more explosive.

So, I believe McDermott will prove to be an upgrade (slight?) over Horn as long as he has the mental game down.

If that is true, then it should be an upgrade. I believe McDermott has been in a black shirt all spring. He's putting in the work. I think Linder, McDermott and Wheeler have all been in blackshirts which is phenomenal.

Are the colored shirts a U Tough thing only, or is it both U Tough and Spring? I forget.

Advertisement
Am I the only person here who wants to know what is going on with Jared Wheeler? With his size, he would be a monster on the inside, but is he just not good enough? Is there someone here who has seen him more than the one spring game last year that I attended who can make sense of this guy? And why the switch to center behind McDermott? That looks like a sign tht he will never play.

Advertisement
f**k it, lets move seantrel inside.

I dont know about all that, but I am a huge fan of movin JJ in there to keep a lineup of: Malcom, JJ, McDermott/Wheeler, Linder, Seantrel. Keep the bosses as the starters!

Yeah I think you got the best line up with McDermott and Wheeler splitting the rotations. Wheeler is just as good as they come. He should get significant playing time though want to see him in the NFL as well. Wheeler is a RS JR and I would love for him to get his chance in the NFL. ijs...

I dont know about all that, but I am a huge fan of movin JJ in there to keep a lineup of: Malcom, JJ, McDermott/Wheeler, Linder, Seantrel. Keep the bosses as the starters!

That is the starting line up as of right now. I would love to see wheeler get his time in there though, he is a very good center and can start at many other schools. Would like to see him in the NFL 1 day. He is a RS JR and he is as strong as McDermott, they are work out buddies as well.

That is the starting line up as of right now. I would love to see wheeler get his time in there though, he is a very good center and can start at many other schools. Would like to see him in the NFL 1 day. He is a RS JR and he is as strong as McDermott, they are work out buddies as well.

What's up with the love for Wheeler? Talking about NFL and stuff? The starting lineup does not and should not have Wheeler and Mcdermott splitting center duty. McDermott has been the starting center all Spring because he is better at football. Splitting centers? Talk about a recipe for disaster

My prediction is Wheeler never starts here and serves as solid depth.

Also, the reason Wheeler has moved to backup center is because there are others who can serve just as well at backup guard (JJ and Jeremy Lewis) and we have no other center.

Advertisement
Tyler Horn looked and perfomred like a D2 player at Senior Day. VERY weak and pudgy.

McDermmot is our future at center

how soon we forget that Horn was very stedy for us, but the next guy is always an upgrade. he may very well be an upgrade, but don't make it like it's a sure thing

y'all cats are ridiculous

Advertisement
I wasnt a big fan of Horn. He kept getting pushed back off the snap.

I haven't seen alot of McDermott but the little I have seen he looks good. I guess we'll find out this year if he's an upgrade.

Wheeler to the NFL he cant even start on our Oline. He's a good back up

Whoever is better between McDermott and Bunche is who I want as the 5th starter. Other 4 guys I'd like to see starting are Seantrel, Feliciano, Johnson and Linder. Linder slides to C if Bunche is better than McDermott. Johnson takes that OG spot. If McDermott is better than Johnson handles RT.

horn was solid....................BUT light in the ***...he got pushed around alot in the run game.....

if Mcdermott can show atleast the same amount of strength...and ability to get to 2nd level defenders he will be a upgrade over horn from game 1

Advertisement
Back