Mayes commits to hometown Hurricanes

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami’s hot recruiting weekend stretched into the early part of this week, as late Monday night the ‘Canes added a commitment from 2014 Miami Northwestern DB Ryan Mayes (6’2”, 190). Mayes received the offer tonight after competing at camp on Sunday and committed on the spot.

“They gave me the offer tonight and asked me how I would feel about being a ‘Cane. I told them I really liked the suggestion and I was very interested in the school and that it was a strong school that my mother was interested in me going too because she’s been a ‘Canes fan and I’ve been a ‘Canes fan since I was a young boy,” said Mayes.

Although the offer was a surprise to Mayes, he knew it wasn’t out of the question.

“To be honest, it was a surprise, but I knew if I worked hard enough and I showed my talents that it was a possibility that I would get an offer so I just went out there and played to the best of my abilities.”

Why did the Northwestern product feel like Miami was the best fit for him?

“This is a school that I’ve been praising since I was knee-high and the other part of it is that the education is really great and it’s a private school where the graduation rate is positive, and it’s close to home.”

Something Mayes does not lack is confidence on the field.

“I’m very confident in my skills. If I tell myself before the game that I will go out there and make a play, I will strive to the best of my abilities to make it happen. If that includes me telling myself that I will be physical with whoever I’m guarding and I will not allow a catch then I will go out on the field and prove that to myself as a self-goal.”

Even with his confidence, Mayes does not want to let this commitment get to his head and will continue to stay focused.

“As far as spotlight is concerned, I really don’t pay attention to it and I just work hard and stay humble and do what I have to do to make my mom proud and make something of my life. I play football for the joy of it. I don’t do it for the spotlight or to feed into the media.”

**Mayes sees himself playing cornerback at the next level

[video=youtube;Jp6IcuJxkiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6IcuJxkiE[/video]

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm all for the staff doing their own evals and pulling the trigger early.

Now we can sit back and watch other schools offer our comitts instead of the other way around.

Pete, Did you see any bump and run at the camp? Those long arms have to be devastating in press.

Advertisement
Coach McDonald thought he had him

@brennanpcarroll: Was supposed to be tomorrow but, oh well.
#WelcomeToTheU

@COACH_T_Y: Lol what's up Coach - RT @brennanpcarroll: Was supposed to be tomorrow but, oh well.
#WelcomeToTheU

@CoachGMcDonald: @COACH_T_Y @brennanpcarroll SMH!

@CoachGMcDonald: #cusenation things just got real! Time to step up the efforts to secure a top flight class! #supportthecuse!

Advertisement
Coach McDonald thought he had him

@brennanpcarroll: Was supposed to be tomorrow but, oh well.
#WelcomeToTheU

@COACH_T_Y: Lol what's up Coach - RT @brennanpcarroll: Was supposed to be tomorrow but, oh well.
#WelcomeToTheU

@CoachGMcDonald: @COACH_T_Y @brennanpcarroll SMH!

@CoachGMcDonald: #cusenation things just got real! Time to step up the efforts to secure a top flight class! #supportthecuse!

Haha thats a really funny exchange between McDonald and Carroll. I really realllllly liked McDonald while he was here but time for him to gtfo on this one!

185.jpg

Welcome to the U...

Sounds like a super level headed kid...

If he has decent atheletic ability along with his size and mental frame of mind, he is going to be real good!

Welcome to the U...

Sounds like a super level headed kid...

If he has decent atheletic ability along with his size and mental frame of mind, he is going to be real good!

Advertisement
Back