"Maybe the best DL class in program history"

Advertisement
There is some scorching bad takes I would like to bump
Why is this so important? Why is it such a huge problem that someone expressed their frustration with the way things were going at the time? It turned out to be a fantastic DL class and #1 in the nation. It's incredible and it's amazing and as fans we are all celebrating. I'm just trying to understand why it's such a federal case and so important for some to look back and say "gotcha! this guy said things were bad but they turned out great so now I'm going to put him on blast and attempt to humiliate him."

In the immortal words of Larry the Cable Guy... "What the **** is this? Russia?" Is it that heinous and unforgivable to express frustration? We all do it. It's human! This is team fandom not an exercise in having faith. Just my opinion and I'm speaking in general not necessarily directed at you @JHallCanes .

I would like to add that I would welcome a civil, rational discussion on this because my questions are sincere.

Last edited:
Wheeeeeew am I glad to have been wrong on this. Learned my lesson not to doubt the loafers when things look slow early on.
No doubt! Mario has his faults but recruiting isn't one of them! The man really has some excellent qualities as a leader of men and that is easily seen in the way his teams play hard for him and never quit. He is a bit rough around the edges when it comes to game day and that can be frustrating but I feel that he can improve on that. What is absolutely certain is that the man bleeds orange and green and loves and cares about this program. He is also the best recruiter in the business. Hands down. Things seemed a bit bleak and I was very frustrated with that but I knew that he had the ability to rebound and flip players to us and that's exactly what he did X 1000.

Advertisement
Why is this so important? Why is it such a huge problem that someone expressed their frustration with the way things were going at the time? It turned out to be a fantastic DL class and #1 in the nation. It's incredible and it's amazing and as fans we are all celebrating. I'm just trying to understand why it's such a federal case and so important for some to look back and say "gotcha! this guy said things were bad but they turned out great so now I'm going to put him on blast and attempt to humiliate him."

In the immortal words of Larry the Cable Guy... "What the **** is this? Russia?" Is it that heinous and unforgivable to express frustration? We all do it. It's human! This is team fandom not an exercise in having faith. Just my opinion and I'm speaking in general not necessarily directed at you @JHallCanes .
IMG_3329.jpeg

At the beginning of summer we heard that we might expect "the best DL class in program history" and "Jason Taylor could win Recruiter of the Year". Fast forward to the end of the summer and we've landed 1 DT and 2 DE's. Both DE's are legit and it's a position we have depth at having recruited well there the last 2 cycles (2021 - Moss/Kelly and 2022 - Bain, Wayne, Achemepong) and adding Lightfoot and Rudolph in 2023 is exactly how to stack talent at a position. Taylor missed out on Simmons and Stewart but we were able to shoot our shot there because we had depth and two committed. DT is nothing less than an unmitigated disaster and fear Mario retaining Big Joe is going to hurt bad in the short and long term. Jones is a good commitment and Horton last year is too but other than that he's been the Achilles Heel on our staff on and off the field. All we hear from the practice reports is how our run defense is the concern which falls under his umbrella and his **** poor recruiting speaks for itself. We are slated to lose Taylor, JHH, Deen, Gore, Lichtenstein leaving us with Horton, Moten, Jones and Campbell as every down DT's (Bain can slide in occasionally).

Not only is he missing out on talent at the position but the numbers are equally as concerning from a depth perspective. There were 3 positions we HAD to nail this cycle in WR, S and DT with 2 of them being addressed well. Our entire roster has made significant upgrades under Mario at every position with the exception of DT (would say QB too but am super high on Emory Williams). We are all for Mario and Joe going after elite DT's but it feels like we focused on the ones in the highest demand with not much of a backup plan. Everyone else on our staff is pulling their weight except for Big Joe meaning its not a Miami, NIL or record issue. It's him and in August we are in need of a miracle to salvage the class because you can have all of the nice pieces (which we are getting) but if you don't have the interior DL it won't matter. Can only hope a couple of solid wins help change this and Friday can't come soon enough

UM Considered the best DL class in the country… JT ranked as 5th best recruiter in the country

Melissa Villasenor Oops GIF by Saturday Night Live

At the beginning of summer we heard that we might expect "the best DL class in program history" and "Jason Taylor could win Recruiter of the Year". Fast forward to the end of the summer and we've landed 1 DT and 2 DE's. Both DE's are legit and it's a position we have depth at having recruited well there the last 2 cycles (2021 - Moss/Kelly and 2022 - Bain, Wayne, Achemepong) and adding Lightfoot and Rudolph in 2023 is exactly how to stack talent at a position. Taylor missed out on Simmons and Stewart but we were able to shoot our shot there because we had depth and two committed. DT is nothing less than an unmitigated disaster and fear Mario retaining Big Joe is going to hurt bad in the short and long term. Jones is a good commitment and Horton last year is too but other than that he's been the Achilles Heel on our staff on and off the field. All we hear from the practice reports is how our run defense is the concern which falls under his umbrella and his **** poor recruiting speaks for itself. We are slated to lose Taylor, JHH, Deen, Gore, Lichtenstein leaving us with Horton, Moten, Jones and Campbell as every down DT's (Bain can slide in occasionally).

Not only is he missing out on talent at the position but the numbers are equally as concerning from a depth perspective. There were 3 positions we HAD to nail this cycle in WR, S and DT with 2 of them being addressed well. Our entire roster has made significant upgrades under Mario at every position with the exception of DT (would say QB too but am super high on Emory Williams). We are all for Mario and Joe going after elite DT's but it feels like we focused on the ones in the highest demand with not much of a backup plan. Everyone else on our staff is pulling their weight except for Big Joe meaning its not a Miami, NIL or record issue. It's him and in August we are in need of a miracle to salvage the class because you can have all of the nice pieces (which we are getting) but if you don't have the interior DL it won't matter. Can only hope a couple of solid wins help change this and Friday can't come soon enough

whoops GIF

Advertisement

I would like to add that I would welcome a civil, rational discussion on this because my questions are sincere.
The fact that you would “welcome a civil, rational discussion” means your not part of the crowd that @JHallCanes comment was directed towards.

I said it before…
You bust balls?, expect to get your balls busted.
Simple.

Russia? lol, no.
I’m serious about these ‘Canes, but let’s keep it all in context.
Let’s hope we’re all laughing with each other when we start winning in a big way.

This aged well!!

The fact that you would “welcome a civil, rational discussion” means your not part of the crowd that @JHallCanes comment was directed towards.

I said it before…
Simple.

Russia? lol, no.
Let’s hope we’re all laughing with each other when we start winning in a big way.
I want to believe, but I'm sure the majority of the conversation will revolve around how people never should have doubted Mario vs enjoying winning.

Advertisement

I said it before…
Simple.

Russia? lol, no.
You get it. I read some smug arrogant little prick comments quite a bit, so I don’t mind throwing some smug arrogant little prick comments back at people. It’s all in good fun. I expect the same in return.

I want to believe, but I'm sure the majority of the conversation will revolve around how people never should have doubted Mario vs enjoying winning.
For sure. Notice I didn’t bump anything because I was already annoyed at the follow up conversation 😂

You get it. I read some smug arrogant little prick comments quite a bit, so I don’t mind throwing some smug arrogant little prick comments back at people. It’s all in good fun. I expect the same in return.
I’m more interested in seeing if they are brave enough to do it again this fall. Mario has improved every class in December (when it matters most). Will they question the class in September if they don’t look great?

Advertisement
I’m more interested in seeing if they are brave enough to do it again this fall. Mario has improved every class in December (when it matters most). Will they question the class in September if they don’t look great?
I'm more interested in will we sign a complete class and not have to rely heavily on the portal since that is so inferior.

Bruh I have super bad takes. I don’t have a problem with people complaining at the time unless it was troll intent but that’s not me to judge if it was. I just waited till we got them, I was confident then shaky then confident again lol. But I don’t think I read most of the bs just scrolled through it so I didn’t care

Something @RVACane mentions a lot that I agree with but I don’t like using a fringe handful of nut jobs to try and make a point. I expect most people to take a more wait and see approach this year but there will always be a few. Which is cool that’s what helps drive some of the absurdity around here

Hoping Mario can do the same with our secondary this year

Advertisement
Back