Maybe "Cooney needs a promotion" tweets weren't trolls

Advertisement
Look at it this way, if Cooney is as good as we are led to believe with regards to recruiting, he should
be kept where he is for now, maybe give him another raise or bonus or whatever.
So if he's that good and coaches are confident he will sustain this level, then it affords Diaz to bring
in a WR coach who perhaps isn't a strong recruiter but can coach technique, like that Taylor Stubblefield
guy.
I still hope we get someone like Michael Smith, but something to think about.
Elite programs seem to rely on those off-field recruiting staff members these days almost as much as
the on-field coaches. We should follow suit.

Yall dudes wanted trooper taylor as wr coach but not cooney? Name 1 wr trooper has developed.

Nah, just trying to figure out why someone this under qualified would go to WR coach based on recruiting merit when we just whiffed on the whole Sofla (yes I know we had a bad season too, save it... a real plug/someone with status some of you are placing on Cooney would have found a way to make some of that "finish" happen and 1-2 locals stay home)
You’re going off over an unconfirmed rumor . Let the rumors tell it Fedora is our OC...wait no Applewhite is...just let the sht play out ...I’m sure Manny knows that the recruiting needs to be addressed, but he also knows winning is the best recruiter. Let the man work. Btw I agree he shouldn’t be promoted to WR coach . Give him special teams or something

David Cooney had no relationship with Ty, he never coached him because Ty spent his first 3 years at South Dade.

And do you know what a Quality control coach does? How was an assistant support staff who couldn't even do off campus recruiting supposed to land the #1 CB in the State? We missed on TY because the coach who was responsible for landing him didn't handle his business. When Jess Simpson missed on 4 DL's who's fault was that? Do we blame that on Alex Devine or Matt Gazzillo?

Cooney is not a CB coach & nor a position coach, his new job is as recruiting coordinator, which means he'll have more pliability to contact prospects & be in communication with players. If he couldn't do his job Diaz would've let him go, ask yourself why would Diaz fire Brown, Dugans & Hartley but then give Cooney a promotion knowing he's been around him on this team for the last 2 years?

Couple things here then I'm just gonna dead it...I know Stevenson was at South Dade. But the brother still is at SR right? And I'm telling you, whether just moronic speculation or not, or the fact people are lumping Southern Dade County together (Florida City and Southridge district are what 20 minutes apart) it was thought and mentioned on this board and others that Cooney would help/have pull in the kid's recruitment. Plus the Cooney's tweet heavy with Ricky Williams who coached Stevenson 7-on-7 correct? He is constantly shouting them out on twitter, and did so every time down the stretch of his kids recruitment when there was a pro-UM update. So ya there were connections made and maybe that was overrated to begin with.

Yes I understand what quality control does. ^^ is the reasons I (and many others mentioned) lumped Cooney in with a possible influence in Stevenson's recruitment.

As for Diaz, I'm not ready to hold him in that regard...i.e. "Manny kept him/he must be good"...Nah, I'm both hopeful and shaky with a lot Diaz has done so far. Seems to have an organized plan which I like. But he's proven nothing...Seems like a smooth talker, but obviously I'm rooting like **** for him and hopeful.

Advertisement
Lol, people speculate & call for A LOT of sh*t on this board, doesn't mean anything until an official announcement is made.
Cooney is not WR coach as of right now, but he will interview for one of the two open positions on staff.

You’re going off over an unconfirmed rumor . Let the rumors tell it Fedora is our OC...wait no Applewhite is...just let the sht play out ...I’m sure Manny knows that the recruiting needs to be addressed, but he also knows winning is the best recruiter. Let the man work. Btw I agree he shouldn’t be promoted to WR coach . Give him special teams or something

But that didn't stop you from having jokes?

It's cool though, I know i was addressing a rumor.... That's what I was arguing with, people spreading that rumor and lumping all this prize on this Cooney cat.

**** I hope they are right and he's a **** pied piper, and obv I'm rooting for Diaz. Moving forward, already argued too much over a rumor the last hour.

But that didn't stop you from having jokes?

It's cool though, I know i was addressing a rumor.... That's what I was arguing with, people spreading that rumor and lumping all this prize on this Cooney cat.

**** I hope they are right and he's a **** pied piper, and obv I'm rooting for Diaz. Moving forward, already argued too much over a rumor the last hour.
I just feel like once an opinion is stated and a stance is taken it doesn’t need to be said over an over again...especially in the same thread...and especially when dude just got us JT4 back...

I just feel like once an opinion is stated and a stance is taken it doesn’t need to be said over an over again...especially in the same thread...and especially when dude just got us JT4 back...

OK...I was just responding. I mean the whole board wanted this Cooney's head with that "WatchTheFinish" mess...Now he's the JeffThomas whisperer

Advertisement
Couple things here then I'm just gonna dead it...I know Stevenson was at South Dade. But the brother still is at SR right? And I'm telling you, whether just moronic speculation or not, or the fact people are lumping Southern Dade County together (Florida City and Southridge district are what 20 minutes apart) it was thought and mentioned on this board and others that Cooney would help/have pull in the kid's recruitment. Plus the Cooney's tweet heavy with Ricky Williams who coached Stevenson 7-on-7 correct? He is constantly shouting them out on twitter, and did so every time down the stretch of his kids recruitment when there was a pro-UM update. So ya there were connections made and maybe that was overrated to begin with.

Yes I understand what quality control does. ^^ is the reasons I (and many others mentioned) lumped Cooney in with a possible influence in Stevenson's recruitment.

As for Diaz, I'm not ready to hold him in that regard...i.e. "Manny kept him/he must be good"...Nah, I'm both hopeful and shaky with a lot Diaz has done so far. Seems to have an organized plan which I like. But he's proven nothing...Seems like a smooth talker, but obviously I'm rooting like **** for him and hopeful.
Cooney knows Ricky because Cooney used to coach Florida Fire 7v7 Dade squad & Ricky is the head director of SFE 7v7 & that relationship will have an impact down the line for future prospects not just for one recruit.

But I think your issue is you're overestimating how much influence he was supposed to have in the Stevenson recruitment. BANDA was supposed to land Ty because Richt put him on Ty once we offered him after he decomitted from UF. Banda was the one who did the in home visits, Banda was the one who was in contact with him the most & was his responsibility to convince him to turn down the money UGA was throwing at him to stay home.

The fact is, we should've recruited him as a CB not a Safety, that was really our biggest mistake & of course not droppin a few bags on'em. Ty's aunt lives in Atlanta & he said back in June that he could absolutely see himself leaving Miami to go to school because his close friend Divaad was already on the team & his aunt is already down there in Georgia.

Look you're entitled to feel however you want about Cooney for whatever reasons, but if the only thing you think he was supposed to do is land a 4/5-star CB then that's just unfair to him because all he was last season is an assistant support staff QC. There were two Coaches on staff who make several hundred thousand dollars a year who's job it is to literally recruit DB's & they couldn't land TS either, so be upset at them for not doing their job.

Cooney knows Ricky because Cooney used to coach Florida Fire 7v7 Dade squad & Ricky is the head director of SFE 7v7 & that relationship will have an impact down the line for future prospects not just for one recruit.

But I think your issue is you're overestimating how much influence he was supposed to have in the Stevenson recruitment. BANDA was supposed to land Ty because Richt put him on Ty once we offered him after he decomitted from UF. Banda was the one who did the in home visits, Banda was the one who was in contact with him the most & was his responsibility to convince him to turn down the money UGA was throwing at him to stay home.

The fact is, we should've recruited him as a CB not a Safety, that was really our biggest mistake & of course not droppin a few bags on'em. Ty's aunt lives in Atlanta & he said back in June that he could absolutely see himself leaving Miami to go to school because his close friend Divaad was already on the team & his aunt is already down there in Georgia.

Look you're entitled to feel however you want about Cooney for whatever reasons, but if the only thing you think he was supposed to do is land a 4/5-star CB then that's just unfair to him because all he was last season is an assistant support staff QC. There were two Coaches on staff who make several hundred thousand dollars a year who's job it is to literally recruit DB's & they couldn't land TS either, so be upset at them for not doing their job.

Ya I'm not giving Banda a pass at all...And if we were really dumb enough to not be flexible about a kid like that's position then we deserve to lose him...That is pure stupidity on UM's part (even though if I had to call it, he's a safety all the way...I would tell him he can start either position OR just keep my mouth shut and go with the flow when he said he wants corner)

For the 900th time I'm not harping on him only for missing Stevenson...Really not even harping on him. More just disagreeing with posters ready to crown him. Hopefully he works out in this role and any other.

I will say Cooney brings attention to his own performance with all his twitter nonsense, so when we miss on the whole god **** Sofla like we did this cycle...Yeah the guy who's telling you "how many tricks I got still up my sleeve (or in his backpocket, however he phrased it)"??? Ya he may catch a little of the blame. (and the credit, when applicable)

Advertisement
Back