May enrollee update: Derrick Smith

View as article
It's May, and people are pulling this out of somewhere else. Do you know how big his father is? Mother? Can you project his physique? People do this all the time without a kid stepping on campus and very little insight. What about the possibility of him getting faster or having exceptional instincts to compensate for the 2/10s of a second in his 4.7 40 time that people are arguing about? Just let it play..

What in the **** are you talking about? We are talking about his measurables right now...and trying to project what he can do. That's what this entire thread is about. I don't give a **** about who is mother and father are. Wow.

Right.

His parents physiques can give you a good idea of how he'll continue to fill out. If you knew that (which some people do) then MAYBE you could make an educated projection about his future. Otherwise you're just exercising an extremely uninformed opinion with inconsistent logic.

Measurables? He's the same size as Amari Carter (6'2" ~200lb), who nobody wants to make a LB, but smaller than Sean Taylor or Cam Chancellor(~6'3" ~230lbs). He's a big kid that plays FS at a high level, and that's it for now. The rest is pure conjecture, which isn't worth discussing.

If it weren't for conjecture this board wouldn't have much traffic.

Exactly...that's what makes his statements even more nonsensical.

Nah, you can post with organized thoughts and a coherent pattern of facts. If more people used the internet before they post and thought critically we'd have less conjecture, but dudes are lazy and just throw s**t on the board for attendance or to see what sticks. Like saying [Insert big DB name here] might grow into a LB (every week) when size doesn't necessarily dictate the change of position. It's about the ability to play the position at a high level with size the way ST26 and Chancellor can. Maybe you come to CIS for "traffic" and "nonsensical" banter (which is fine if you're into that), but I come for quality information.

Advertisement
What in the **** are you talking about? We are talking about his measurables right now...and trying to project what he can do. That's what this entire thread is about. I don't give a **** about who is mother and father are. Wow.

Right.

His parents physiques can give you a good idea of how he'll continue to fill out. If you knew that (which some people do) then MAYBE you could make an educated projection about his future. Otherwise you're just exercising an extremely uninformed opinion with inconsistent logic.

Measurables? He's the same size as Amari Carter (6'2" ~200lb), who nobody wants to make a LB, but smaller than Sean Taylor or Cam Chancellor(~6'3" ~230lbs). He's a big kid that plays FS at a high level, and that's it for now. The rest is pure conjecture, which isn't worth discussing.

If it weren't for conjecture this board wouldn't have much traffic.

Exactly...that's what makes his statements even more nonsensical.

Nah, you can post with organized thoughts and a coherent pattern of facts. If more people used the internet before they post and thought critically we'd have less conjecture, but dudes are lazy and just throw s**t on the board for attendance or to see what sticks. Like saying [Insert big DB name here] might grow into a LB (every week) when size doesn't necessarily dictate the change of position. It's about the ability to play the position at a high level with size the way ST26 and Chancellor can. Maybe you come to CIS for "traffic" and "nonsensical" banter (which is fine if you're into that), but I come for quality information.

Maybe if you would focus a bit more on reading comprehension instead of pretending to be a literature professor you wouldn't have to be involved in this debate. The point, that you clearly missed, was that I believe he might not be fast enough to play safety. Nothing to do with his size. We will see. After all, this is what a message board is for...its definitely not for you to brush up on your linguistics.

Last edited:
Miami the only fan base who wants to convert big athletic safeties to LBs and big athletic WRs to TEs..... every season yall never fail. Let them get on campus first and practice.

Rayshawn Jenkins was 225 230 playing safety....

Yall would be crying about signing Sean Taylor

Miami the only fan base who wants to convert big athletic safeties to LBs and big athletic WRs to TEs..... every season yall never fail. Let them get on campus first and practice.

Nope...no no no. Sean Taylor was fast.

Advertisement

Jenkins ran a 4.51 which is very fast for a big safety

I remember one game they had him and Dj side by side and the announcer was so impressed how Sean was bigger than him but played safety

It's a case by case basis. Sean Taylor could have played Corner and I doubt anyone would have complained. It's about feet and movement. Not paper numbers.

No opinion on this recruit, as I haven't seen enough of him to say either way.

Advertisement

It's a case by case basis. Sean Taylor could have played Corner and I doubt anyone would have complained. It's about feet and movement. Not paper numbers.

No opinion on this recruit, as I haven't seen enough of him to say either way.

Loved how they manned him up on the best receiver in the red zone.

Advertisement
Back