May 8 vs Appalachian State 7pm ACCNX

Hard to say what they were doing preseason without seeing fall practice like I would in a normal year, but it’s also hard to argue they did anything in the first six or so weeks of games we did get to see to deserve a start. Gino was to slow to give Smith in particular the opportunity once he picked things up in early April.
I always thought AMac ( if he was not wild) should have always been a weekend starter this season. Not sure why he is just now getting the chance when guys like Fed/Garland/Roasrio/Mederos are out there getting lit up.

Smith I can see easing on but his stuff is electric, same as Amac I'm a bit perplexed these moves too this long.

Advertisement
One if my biggest indicators of good pitching outside of WHIP and ERA is BAA. I am a firm believer that is a very good indicator of how effective a pitcher is. I like my guys to be ar .220 or lower.

Rosario was .310 and Garland .285, those are downright bad. One positive factor was Mederos was .237, so he had some mental break downs we all saw but his stuff was effective.

I believe AMacs is under .200 and Smiths is like .230ish. IIRC

I always thought AMac ( if he was not wild) should have always been a weekend starter this season. Not sure why he is just now getting the chance when guys like Fed/Garland/Roasrio/Mederos are out there getting lit up.

Smith I can see easing on but his stuff is electric, same as Amac I'm a bit perplexed these moves too this long.
I’m assuming, based on how deeply buried he was in the bullpen to start the season, that he had a particularly bad fall. Likely as you mentioned due to lack of command.

If we want to find a positive, both of them have actually improved as the season has gone on which we can’t say for position players not named Pitelli.

Fairweather will make his second appearance of the season in the 9th.

I’m assuming, based on how deeply buried he was in the bullpen to start the season, that he had a particularly bad fall. Likely as you mentioned due to lack of command.

If we want to take a positive, both of them have actually improved as the season has gone on which we can’t say for position players not named Pitelli.
I guess that's it, like you said we were not there but I honestly don't know what took so long to give them a chance when the other guys we were trotting out had 7 ERAS.

Dunno, but hopefully next season we see better pitching and hitting

Advertisement
I also wonder why Walter's does not get more burn, everytime he throws he looks real nice to me

One if my biggest indicators of good pitching outside of WHIP and ERA is BAA. I am a firm believer that is a very good indicator of how effective a pitcher is. I like my guys to be ar .220 or lower.

Rosario was .310 and Garland .285, those are downright bad. One positive factor was Mederos was .237, so he had some mental break downs we all saw but his stuff was effective.

I believe AMacs is under .200 and Smiths is like .230ish. IIRC
Interesting thing with Rosario was that pre-FSU his BAA was .179 and WHIP was a touch under 1. My personal theory is that he’s worn down as the season has gone on. I have to remind myself that the true freshman pitchers lost their senior seasons and the buildup of endurance for a young pitcher that comes with it. Probably also true for a McFarlane taking deeper into his sophomore year to develop, and why Smith/McFarlane are finishing stronger than guys that got early season burn.

Interesting thing with Rosario was that pre-FSU his BAA was .179 and WHIP was a touch under 1. My personal theory is that he’s worn down as the season has gone on. I have to remind myself that the true freshman pitchers lost their senior seasons and the buildup of endurance for a young pitcher that comes with it. Probably also true for a McFarlane taking deeper into his sophomore year to develop, and why Smith/McFarlane are finishing stronger than guys that got early season burn.
Yeah, it looked to me Mederos and Rosario wore down mentally. They will get better. By all expectations a weekend rotation of AMac/Rosario/Mederos or Smith should be a devastating trio. Hopefully they are all much improved next season.

Advertisement
Yeah, it looked to me Mederos and Rosario wore down mentally. They will get better. By all expectations a weekend rotation of AMac/Rosario/Mederos or Smith should be a devastating trio. Hopefully they are all much improved next season.
I have a sneaky suspicion, aided by the number of scouts in attendance tonight, that Smith gets drafted and leaves.

I have a sneaky suspicion, aided by the number of scouts in attendance tonight, that Smith gets drafted and leaves.
He might but he should come back, guess if he thinks Gino and JD won't start him I don't blame him

Sounds like you can put Smith into next weekend’s rotation in pen. The summer league answer went in an…interesting direction

Advertisement
So if UM ends up requiring covid vaccination in the fall (seems to be the trend), all these kids who don't want the vaccine will quit school?

So if UM ends up requiring covid vaccination in the fall (seems to be the trend), all these kids who don't want the vaccine will quit school?
Where are you seeing this? I will legitimately stop watching college athletics if they make these young men do that.

Where are you seeing this? I will legitimately stop watching college athletics if they make these young men do that.

Better start looking for a new hobby.

Advertisement

Better start looking for a new hobby.
It’s the perfect out for me. Have had a brutal 20 years watching this ****** athletic department. If they make these young man who have a **** near 100% survival rate take that vaccine I’m out. Disgusting that they are even thinking of making them be guinea pigs when they have their entire life in front of them

It’s the perfect out for me. Have had a brutal 20 years watching this ****** athletic department. If they make these young man who have a **** near 100% survival rate take that vaccine I’m out. Disgusting that they are even thinking of making them be guinea pigs when they have their entire life in front of them
What is going to happen is that the universities requiring vaccines will refuse to play against programs that don't require vaccinations. Thus just about everybody is going to end up requiring it.

Any excuse to quit this exercise in masochism is probably for the best.

Last edited:
People forget that these vaccines are NOT FDA approved. They are approved for emergency use only. Meaning only the highest risk demographics should be taking them. Here's a link to a study that suggests a dramatically higher cancer rate for the first wave of polio vaccine recipients. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10472327/

Advertisement
Back