May 1 at Georgia Tech 1pm ACCNX

Advertisement
That was one focused serious team I saw yesterday
Agreed. Hopefully the 4 game stumble got everybody back focused for the end of the season. It’s a very good team when they play well. Need that effort and focus the rest of the way.

FWIW, Warren Nolan thinks a 3-3 split with ND and FSU plus an OOC loss to ND State leaves us 11th in the RPI. I do think 3-3 in the ACC should be enough to comfortably secure a host if we take care of business OOC. I’m not sure I buy it, but it also thinks 20 wins is enough to win the ACC. I’m thinking 21 is probably the magic number to shoot for.
I've been mulling things over in what the other potential conference title contenders have remaining on their schedules.

Louisville has the best opportunity with 9 games remaining. However, they have tough opponents in WF, VT, UVA and 6-3 or maybe 7-2 if they swept WF. They're looking at 20-10 or 21-9 best case.

VT is next and the likely challenger for the regular season title with 6 games at home against Louisville and Duke. They could go 5-1, 4-2, or even 3-3. At 14-8, they might finish 19-9 or 18-10.

The third team in contention is ND. 6 games left against Pitt and UM. At 13-8, they pretty much need to sweep their final 6 ACC games to have a chance at first place plus need help from VT and Louisville to split their remaining games.

So, UM needs to win the series at FSU, or things likely go south for several reasons that I'll state in my conclusion. If UM wins the series in Tally, we get to 19-9. Win just 1 game against ND and 1st place is the likely outcome. Win 2 of 3 and 1st place is locked unless VT sweeps or Louisville wins 8/9 of their remaining games.

There is so much on the line these last 3 weeks of the regular season.

First if all, sweeping this weekend and the midweek games is a MUST. NDSU actually has a better RPI than UCF. Let that sink in. They beat FAU and lost by 1 run to FGCU and Nebraska. This team is no slouch and could win a game if UM doesn't come out motivated to play. Losing this weekend or to any remaining midweek will push our RPI down even further which will affect hosting in the post season.

Winning the regular season is important for 2 reasons. Well, basically 1 reason because one affects the other. Finishing 1st in the ACC will give us the top seed in the ACC tournament and an easier road to the title game. Getting to to the title game will improve our RPI and help our national seeding. Finishing #1 will just about guarantee a top 8 national seed likely 3-5. Lose 1 ACC series, we likely drop to a 10 - 14 national seed and still hosting. Lose both series plus any loss to NDSU, FGCU, or UCF and we are no longer hosting. We literally could go from being #2 two weeks ago to not even hosting. That's how critical these last 3 weeks are.

Sunday's game at GT was an encouraging sign. Rosario pitched extremely well and the bats came out. I can't understand why the hitting approaches change on Sundays (for the better) and they don't take the same approach all the time. Our guys had better 2 strike approaches and were using all fields. They need that approach all the time.

The last 3 weeks are going to be exciting. I'm going to be at the FGCU game and maybe the Sunday game against ND. Let's see if these young men can finish the job.

Last edited:
I've been mulling things over in what the other potential conference title contenders have remaining their schedules.

Louisville has the best opportunity with 9 games remaining. However, they have tough opponents in WF, VT, UVA and 6-3 or maybe 7-2 if they swept WF. They're looking at 20-10 or 21-9 best case.

VT is next and the likely challenger for the regular season title with 6 games at home against Louisville and Duke. They could go 5-1, 4-2, or even 3-3. At 14-8, they might finish 19-9 or 18-10.

The third team in contention is ND. 6 games left against Pitt and UM. At 13-8, they pretty much need to sweep their final 6 ACC games to have a chance at first place plus need help from VT and Louisville to split their remaining games.

So, UM needs to win the series at FSU, or things likely go south for several reasons that I'll state in my conclusion. If UM wins the series in Tally, we get to 19-9. Win just 1 game against ND and 1st place is the likely outcome. Win 2 of 3 and 1st place is locked unless VT sweeps or Louisville wins 8/9 of their remaining games.

There is so much on the line these last 3 weeks of the regular season.

First if all, sweeping this weekend and the midweek games is a MUST. NDSU actually has a better RPI than UCF. Let that sink in. They beat FAU and lost by 1 run to FGCU and Nebraska. This team is no slouch and could win a game if UM doesn't come out motivated to play. Loosing this weekend or to any remaining midweek will push our RPI down even further which will affect hosting in the post season.

Winning the regular season is important for 2 reasons. Well, basically 1 reason because one affects the other. Finishing 1st in the ACC will give us the top seed in the ACC tournament and an easier road to the title game. Getting to to the title game will improve our RPI and help our national seeding. Finishing #1 will just about guarantee a top 8 national seed likely 3-5. Lose 1 ACC series, we likely drop to a 10 - 14 national seed and still hosting. Lose both series plus any loss to NDSU, FGCU, or UCF and we are no longer hosting. We literally could go from being #2 two weeks ago to not even hosting. That's how critical these last 3 weeks are.

Sunday's game at GT was an encouraging sign. Rosario pitched extremely well and the bats came out. I can't understand why the hitting approaches change on Sundays (for the better) and they don't take the same approach all the time. Our guys had better 2 strike approaches and were using all fields. They need that approach all the time.

The last 3 weeks are going to be exciting. I'm going to be at the FGCU game and maybe the Sunday game against ND. Let's see if these young men can finish the job.
Good summary - it's up to the players and coaches now. Go Canes.

Advertisement
Back