Matthew Thomas

Advertisement
rolltide is a good little troll.....yet, he's actually a homer so it's like a new trend we're seeing here. maybe we can call him a Tromer? or mayber Holl?

rolltide is a good little troll.....yet, he's actually a homer so it's like a new trend we're seeing here. maybe we can call him a Tromer? or mayber Holl?

10.jpg

Advertisement
Thomas is a must have, plain and simple, and I'm confident we'll be in it til the end. Golden will not be outworked for any priority recruit.

Thomas is a must have, plain and simple, and I'm confident we'll be in it til the end. Golden will not be outworked for any priority recruit.

I don't know the inside scoop on this situation or that of Amari Cooper at NW. What is different about the recruitment of Cooper and Thomas?

I don't know the inside scoop on this situation or that of Amari Cooper at NW. What is different about the recruitment of Cooper and Thomas?

Thomas is a lot better. Staff didn't see Amari as a must have like Thomas.

Advertisement
from CBS Eye on Recruiting. SIAP

Thomas taking his time in recruiting

The Miami Nike Camp is always known for bringing out South Florida athletes who look like they can play just about every position on the field. Miami (Fla.) linebacker Matthew Thomas certainly impressed as an athlete with a good 6-foot-3 frame and speed to burn to grab MVP honors for Sparq testing score but it was on the field during drills where he impressed most on Sunday.

"The camp was good going against other players one-on-one and doing all the drills before that," Thomas said. "It was a good experience. These guys are from all over the place and it's good for me to compare myself to them. We were real competitive today."

Though his position group wasn't as stacked as previous years, Thomas still had no trouble standing out and competing with anybody he lined up against. With a long wingspan he was able to play well in coverage while also looking strong and quick during one-on-ones. It's easy to see why over 20 schools across the country have extended scholarship offers and why Thomas is slowly coming to grips with the fact that he can play college football just about anywhere he wants.

"It really doesn't matter where I play football at - I'll go to the moon if I could," he said. "I just want to play where I'm comfortable at.

"Recruiting is going fine. I like a couple of schools, I don't like a couple of schools. I like Alabama, Miami, Florida, Florida State."

A commitment does not appear to be in the cards until Signing Day for Thomas, who has already penciled in official visits to Alabama, Florida and Florida State during the fall. Although all three are a few hours away and doing a good job keeping in contact, it is the local school that is making the biggest impression on him just as the May Evaluation period is about to start.

"I would say Miami is recruiting me the hardest because it's close to home," Thomas said. "They've got me on Facebook so they hit me up all the time with messages and I reply back so we've got a good relationship."

Thomas missed the Hurricanes spring game last week because he took the ACT and it's clear that he is looking to put a lot of weight on academics in determining what school he commits to.

"Graduation rate is a priority," he said. "The caliber of program it is, playing time situation, all of that is a factor."

A four-star outside linebacker, Thomas is ranked 41st overall in the recently released Tom Lemming/MaxPreps top 100. While he hasn't had a chance to visit many schools thus far, the plan is to take a few visits before summer arrives so he can see what a few of the in-state options have to offer.

"Before the spring is over, I might try and take a visit to Florida State," said Thomas. "And Florida. But no camps."

I would imagine that Thomas is a much higher priority than Cooper (though I really liked Cooper and wish he was here).

looks like this will go down to signing day and I imagine lots of drama along the way with lots of BS rumors.

barring crippling sanctions, complete meltdown on the field, I would expect him to be a CANE. I'm sure Bama will be offering big money though

Advertisement
Would be a shame to miss out on Thomas as he seems like a beast off the edge, but it's very early and has already been mentioned the kid has changed favorites 3 times. Golden will put in the work, so if we miss out on him it won't be because of a lack of effort.

my belief, al and staff will put in work, it is the kids choice at the end of the day. How many players are expected to drafted from bama this year? no saying he should go there, but I do understand them being in the discussion!

looks like this will go down to signing day and I imagine lots of drama along the way with lots of BS rumors.

barring crippling sanctions, complete meltdown on the field, I would expect him to be a CANE. I'm sure Bama will be offering big money though

If Bama cheats, Keenan Allen would be a starting wr in Tuscaloosa.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back