Matt Thomas: LU, what makes this kid a beast?

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
I have heard people mention he's Willie Williams type prospect without the baggage, so what makes him so beastly? I need our great football minds to break it down for me. I'm not saying the kid isn't one of the best prospects in the country, but I would love to give Pete and Lu a chance to break this kids game down a little bit, offer up some comparisons.

Advertisement
Not Lu, but this is the most versatile player I've seen in a while. He can rush the passer, cover, or play a traditional outside linebacker. His 2011 spring game video is better than most people's entire highlight reels.

Not Lu, but this is the most versatile player I've seen in a while. He can rush the passer, cover, or play a traditional outside linebacker. His 2011 spring game video is better than most people's entire highlight reels.

Can you move this to the recruiting board, early morning brain fart putting it here.

Thanks DMoney for the insight. I really hope we can get this kid on Campus.

Can you move this to the recruiting board, early morning brain fart putting it here.

Amen, we need to start stockpiling difference makers. This kid has got to be our #1 priority

Advertisement

D basically summed it up. Just take a look at his spring game. In an earlier post, I believe I counted something like 11 impact plays out of a likely 30-40 plays total in a spring game.

What makes him different, though, are his feet, acceleration and change of direction. At his size, it's just unusual. I don't even have a comparison for him at this point.

FWIW, I believe he's the best player in the State of Florida since Sammy Watkins. And, #2 behind Watkins over the past 3 recruiting seasons.

I saw all the things Lu and D$ alluded to in the playoffs last year, but what stood out to me is this kid plays HARD. The couple playoff games I saw last season, he was all over the field making plays. You combine hustle and tenacity with talent, and you've got a great looking prospect.....

D basically summed it up. Just take a look at his spring game. In an earlier post, I believe I counted something like 11 impact plays out of a likely 30-40 plays total in a spring game.

What makes him different, though, are his feet, acceleration and change of direction. At his size, it's just unusual. I don't even have a comparison for him at this point.

FWIW, I believe he's the best player in the State of Florida since Sammy Watkins. And, #2 behind Watkins over the past 3 recruiting seasons.

Thanks Lu, we all know how much you liked Sammy Watkins. Hopefully we can turn Thomas and get him and Kirkland on board. Realize it's going to be a recruiting battle to the end.

Advertisement
Crazy thing is he hasn't reached him physical peak yet. Some kids come out highly rated and fail because they peaked physical in HS and don't adjust mentally when they get to the next level. Jeff Luc is a great example. Six is 205 right now and with his frame and length he looks like he could reach 6'3 235-240 and still keep his freakish athletism. His arms are crazy long and he covers a lot of ground which allows him to excel in a lot of different areas. Like D$ said he rush the passer, cover backs and receivers or just play a normal OLB spot. He would bring a ton of versatility to our defense which makes him an absolute must get. He has the ability to just completely take over games.

High praise, and I don't think I can really deny it.

The thing about Thomas is that he not only has all-world potential, but he is already a major impact player in different facets of the game, AND you just see his progress as he continues to realize it. Example, as a sophomore he was a DE. He was a really good DE. Then his spring game last year shows him still being impactful at DE, but also taking on more stand up LB responsibilities. Then you see his highlights from this past season and he is playing MLB on some plays, rushing the LB on others, and looking fluid and dominant in both ways. You watch the state championship game and he is all over the field as a MLB, clearly the best player in the game.

Then in the offseason, you see him start to fill out his frame some. You read about his impressive testing numbers and performances at combines. Then he goes to "The Opening" - the premier national combine - and is clearly one of the top 2 most impressive LB prospects there. But, not only did he show off in the testing, but in 7-on7's he was locking down the middle of the field in coverage, using his length to pick off multiple passes throughout the event.

It really is impressive to keep tabs on Thomas and watch him progress because you realize that all the hype about his potential is not overblown as he continues to realize a different facet of it with regularity. He has a frame to easily get up to 240+ and likely maintain his athleticism.

Then, you look at what our coaches want to do on defense - be multiple, have 4-3 and 3-4 fronts and adjust throughout the game with fluidity.
I maintain that Matthew Thomas can be the foundation of our coaches' ideal defense because he can be as multiple as the schemes they want to run. On any given 3rd down, he can be rushing the passer from a 3 point stance, a 2 point stance, or he can be in coverage in the middle of the field. He can thrive as a 4-3 DE or SLB or even MLB. He can obviously also be an outside LB (JACK/SAM) or even ILB in a 3-4.

He has the potential and skillset to do all those things at a high level. That is why he is such a must get, and I might cry if he goes to FSU

The thing about Thomas is that he not only has all-world potential, but he is already a major impact player in different facets of the game, AND you just see his progress as he continues to realize it. Example, as a sophomore he was a DE. He was a really good DE. Then his spring game last year shows him still being impactful at DE, but also taking on more stand up LB responsibilities. Then you see his highlights from this past season and he is playing MLB on some plays, rushing the LB on others, and looking fluid and dominant in both ways. You watch the state championship game and he is all over the field as a MLB, clearly the best player in the game.

Then in the offseason, you see him start to fill out his frame some. You read about his impressive testing numbers and performances at combines. Then he goes to "The Opening" - the premier national combine - and is clearly one of the top 2 most impressive LB prospects there. But, not only did he show off in the testing, but in 7-on7's he was locking down the middle of the field in coverage, using his length to pick off multiple passes throughout the event.

It really is impressive to keep tabs on Thomas and watch him progress because you realize that all the hype about his potential is not overblown as he continues to realize a different facet of it with regularity. He has a frame to easily get up to 240+ and likely maintain his athleticism.

Then, you look at what our coaches want to do on defense - be multiple, have 4-3 and 3-4 fronts and adjust throughout the game with fluidity.
I maintain that Matthew Thomas can be the foundation of our coaches' ideal defense because he can be as multiple as the schemes they want to run. On any given 3rd down, he can be rushing the passer from a 3 point stance, a 2 point stance, or he can be in coverage in the middle of the field. He can thrive as a 4-3 DE or SLB or even MLB. He can obviously also be an outside LB (JACK/SAM) or even ILB in a 3-4.

He has the potential and skillset to do all those things at a high level. That is why he is such a must get, and I might cry if he goes to FSU

Great post!

Advertisement
Is this kid REALLY considering FSU? What the **** is up with these Miami kids and Tallahassee? They have been irrelevant longer than we have. Kid doesn't want to rep his city?

Advertisement

Pretty much sums it up IMO.

Advertisement
Back