Matt Porter: Senior Grades

Copeseticman

Sophomore
After reading this it kinda puts a final nail in the coffin for the substantial under performance by most of the Senior class.

Grading Miami Hurricanes’ 2013 senior class by Matt Porter

This week, seniors across the nation are accepting invites to play in postseason all-star games. Two Hurricanes, Brandon Linder and Stephen Morris, are in that category. Linder will play in the Senior Bowl (3 p.m. Jan. 25 in Mobile, Ala., NFL Network) while Morris will head to the East-West Shrine Game (4 p.m. Jan. 18 in St. Petersburg, NFL Network). There remains a possibility that punter Pat O’Donnell will get an invite, but no news on that front.

I didn’t feel like that was enough meat for one blog post, so let’s hand out regular-season grades for the Hurricanes’ senior class. These are completely subjective grades based off my one year of watching them. You may disagree. My goal is to be fair and assess things as completely as possible.

Anyway, here:

TE Asante Cleveland: B

Smart player and an effective blocker in UM’s oft-used double-tight end sets, though he was barely targeted in the passing game. Ended on a sweet note when he caught a touchdown pass – the first of his career – in the regular-season finale at Pitt.

LB Tyrone Cornelius: D+

Played strong-side linebacker and struggled to cover consistently. Started games against Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Florida State, Virginia Tech and Duke. Forced a fumble against Florida and finished seventh on the team with 39 tackles (two for loss, one sack).

LB Jimmy Gaines: B-

Somewhat limited athletically, but a valued leader at middle linebacker. Finished second with 76 tackles (two for loss), recovered two fumbles and broke up two passes. Had a good career, all told – lightly recruited but was a three-year contributor.

DE David Gilbert: C-

Former honorable mention All-Big Ten at Wisconsin wasn’t an effective player after transferring home. Was it the foot injury (that at one point caused him to retire)? Was it the lack of opportunity (played a season-low seven snaps against Wake Forest; was between 10 and 15 most games)? May never know. He has a nice highlight, though: recovered a fumble and returned it for a 72-yard touchdown against Virginia.

DE Shayon Green: C

Reasonably productive given his average speed and skill. Led team in tackles for loss (10.5), including two against Florida State, and had three sacks. Was third in tackles (63).

FB Maurice Hagens: B+

Strong and smart lead blocker who chipped in with a big gainer or two when his number was called. Caught seven passes for 83 yards, most of those after the catch.

OT Seantrel Henderson: C-

Never lived up to his sky-high potential. Had dominant stretches, but was sometimes outworked by players with half his physical tools (6-foot-8, 340). Could have been a full-time difference-maker and wasn’t. Maybe he’ll put it together in the NFL – maybe not.

S A.J. Highsmith: D+

Relied on too much by the coaching staff, due in part to injuries to Deon Bush and Kacy Rodgers. UM’s lack of a pass rush did him (and the rest of the secondary) no favors.

WR Allen Hurns: A

Reliable as they come. Steady force who finished second in the ACC in receiving (1,138; 94.8 yards per game) to Clemson star Sammy Watkins. Moved UM’s all-time receiving leaderboards. By far his quarterback’s No. 1 target. Could have a good NFL career as a possession receiver.

OG Brandon Linder: A

Like Hurns, a second-team All-ACC selection and a consistently good player. Don’t know UM’s offensive line grades for the season, but have to imagine he has the best marks. A couple penalties here and there, but handled his assignment nearly every time.

QB Stephen Morris: B+

Finished third in the conference in yards (2,868), passer rating (148.96) and tied for third in touchdowns (21). Has one of the strongest arms in college football, but needs to improve decision-making (12 interceptions, third-most in ACC). An ankle injury, suffered Sept. 21, screwed up his mechanics for much of the year. Will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft – would guess he’s somewhere in the fourth round.

P Pat O’Donnell: A

Arguably the team MVP. Flipped fields all year after transferring home from Cincinnati. Gigantic leg and an excellent athlete (6-5, 225). Had a 71-yard punt against Virginia. Averaged around 48 yards per punt for the season. UM didn’t punt a lot, especially early in the season, so his name wasn’t among the national leaders for most of the year. Should have been a Ray Guy finalist, but should have a strong pro career.

DT Curtis Porter: C

Finally healthy and able to play in 12 games (eight starts), but didn’t shine. Season highlight was fumble recovery against Florida, the first of his career, which led to UM’s first touchdown in the Sept. 7 win. Experienced a drop in play after that.

DT Justin Renfrow: C+

Virginia transfer surpassed Porter on the depth chart for four games (UNC, Wake, FSU, Va. Tech). Added much-needed bulk to the defensive line. Had an excellent game against Georgia Tech (five tackles, forced fumble).

DT Luther Robinson: C-

Serviceable depth lineman who neither helped nor hurt. Earned a start against Virginia.

S Kacy Rodgers: C-

Hampered by injury, but like several others, played a little more than UM probably would have liked him to. Had a sack-caused-fumble against FAU and an interception against Virginia.

OG Jared Wheeler: A-

Became a starter for the first time, starting six games in total at center and guard. Not a dominant physical force, but smart and effective.

Incomplete: Akil Craig, Alex Irastorza, Paul Kelly, Jameson Labady, Sean McNally, Chad Barnes.

- See more at: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/cane...anes’-2013-senior-class/#sthash.mJbGvZJs.dpuf

Source:http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/caneswatch/2013/12/06/grading-miami-hurricanes’-2013-senior-class/

Advertisement
Morris with a B+, guy showed no improvement from his Jr to Sr year. that's great he finished 3rd in the ACC in yards and TDs but he's double digits back from the 1st place player of the year and eventual Heisman winner.

He was terrible in the games we lost that cost up a spot in the championship.

And based on Preseason expectations and hype the best grade I can offer him is a C+.

Gaines as a B-...but Green gets a C

Highsmith and Cornelius get D+?? I guess that was the lowest grade possible.

I thought Shayon had a B-/C+ kind of year. I think in a different scheme he would have done better.

Wheeler has to be the biggest surprise of the season. Though he did show flashes of strong play last year, he was a flat out stud when he finally got in there.

For a kid I don't think many expected to still be here, he had a **** of a season.

LMAO at Gaines getting anything other than a "What's worse than an F?"

Gaines senior grade should have been "expelled." The fact that he was on the field over Kirby was the biggest **** up by the staff this season. We would've been better off starting a traffic cone. A traffic cone would've provided more resistance in the run game, and better coverage on pass plays.

Advertisement

Gaines senior grade should have been "expelled." The fact that he was on the field over Kirby was the biggest **** up by the staff this season. We would've been better off starting a traffic cone. A traffic cone would've provided more resistance in the run game, and better coverage on pass plays.

aparrently kirby didnt get enough pt for you to realize he has a very long way to go. gaines had the experience and passion at least.

I give Shayon a B plus the kid leaves everything on the field and shockingly he had a good season. Was a 2 star recruit nobody expected anything out of him for his career..

aparrently kirby didnt get enough pt for you to realize he has a very long way to go. gaines had the experience and passion at least.

That's what gets it done - passion and experience.

You can see the passion oozing from his body while he was being blocked into the center of the Earth. And he had great experience missing tackles and moving like a snail in coverage.

Advertisement

That's what gets it done - passion and experience.

You can see the passion oozing from his body while he was being blocked into the center of the Earth. And he had great experience missing tackles and moving like a snail in coverage.

I think his biggest fault was poor instincts, constantly being out of position and taking poor angles. He always looked like a snail because he had so far to run.

Forget about grades, let's keep it simple.

Will the loss of the senior

1. (Hurt) the team

2. (Help) the team

3. (Irrelevant) and no real effect

4. (Unknown)

Offense

TE Asante Cleveland: Irrelevant. Decent blocker, we have Sandland and Walford returning. If it was possible he could return in 2014, he would not start.

FB Maurice Hagens: Hurt. Great FB, no proven backup. Liked him a lot. f it was possible he could return in 2014, he would start.

OT Seantrel Henderson: Hurt-Irrelevant. Never turned into the guy we needed him to be but played decent at times. We have a bunch of tackles (including Flowers who played better as a freshman last year) for next year but unless Felicano is moved to tackle and does well, probably a downgrade a RT. If it was possible he could return in 2014, he would start.

WR Allen Hurns: Hurt. Obviously he will be missed but we have great depth at WR so his production can be made up. If it was possible he could return in 2014, he would start.

OG Brandon Linder: Hurt. My favorite of the senior OL. Tremendous flexibility/skill and potentially our earliest draft pick. If it was possible he could return in 2014, he would start.

QB Stephen Morris: Unknown. QBs are tough to grade because at the end of the day wins are what matters most. 16 wins (so far) over the last 2 years. Interceptions were up 71% (2012-2013) and his INT:Attempt ration was WAY UP [2013: 1:26 versus 2012: 1:60]. The injury didn't help him but the same results were made. If it was possible he could return in 2014, he would probably start (unknown R. Williams or Olsen/Kaaya).

P Pat O’Donnell: HURT. Obviously a great punter who made 1 mistake. If it was possible he could return in 2014, he would start.

OG Jared Wheeler: HURT. This is the quality backup you need. A guy that can step in and contribute a lot at the position. If it was possible he could return in 2014, he would probably start at guard.

Defense

DT Curtis Porter: UNKNOWN-Hurt

DT Justin Renfrow: UNKNOWN-Hurt

DT Luther Robinson: UNKNOWN-Irrelevant

I graded the above 3 DTs as unknown because I think the DL coaching is so poor that it is impossible to know how good these kids are if we had a different coach. Then again Renfrow was just a backup at UVA and here he is playing serious burn, was the coaching bad at UVA too? It would not shock me if Porter ended up in the NFL for awhile. If these guys go to the league and have success then the obvious occurred coaching > talent. I do think that these guys under the best coaching, would not DRAMATICALLY improve. I think we hurt equally from the lack of talent at the position. We will see. If it was possible they could return in 2014, Porter might start and the rest would not.

S A.J. Highsmith: HELP. Terrible, nothing more needs to be said. If it was possible he could return in 2014, he would not start and I rather play 10 men.

LB Tyrone Cornelius: IRRELEVANT. Not a quality LB. If it was possible he could return in 2014, I would not want him to start.

LB Jimmy Gaines: IRRELEVANT. Too slow and he plays too much. Not a quality LB. If it was possible he could return in 2014, I would not want him to start.

DE David Gilbert: UNKNOWN. Never played much, impossible to say. If it was possible he could return in 2014, probably not start.

DE Shayon Green: HELP. I like the kid but he is not a quality DE. He is not the guy you want out there at the position. I am ready to see a new kid out there with working joints. If it was possible he could return in 2014, I would not want him to start.

If Kirby was better than Gaines, why wouldn't Golden start him?

Obviously Gaines Deserved Victory more by Buying Into The Process, using his Core Values, and following the 8 Pillars of Success.

David Gilbert was displeased at his lack of playing, stuck sitting behind a guy who can barely stand up straight and whose knees look like Daffy Duck's bill right after getting blown off with a shotgun.

The personnel decisions on defense were questionable.

Advertisement
I never understand this: so bc Gaines was lightly recruited and logged playing time due to atrocious depth it means his on the field play was better?

Gaines was wretched this year. Made no plays, was a disaster in coverage, gets sucked up on every play fake, and is slow as ****. He doesn't even play well against the run.

weird that nobody ever mentions O'Donnell forced the fumble on the opening kickoff at Pitt.

That play totally changes that game. We jump out to a 14-0 lead and it's over.

For balance Porter should've included the coaches' grades. The recent data show (such as recent players in the NFL) that coaching has been a large concern as well. Gilbert goes from being a solid performer at Wisconsin to a nobody here? Sure, blame the players....

After reading this it kinda puts a final nail in the coffin for the substantial under performance by most of the Senior class.

Grading Miami Hurricanes’ 2013 senior class by Matt Porter

This week, seniors across the nation are accepting invites to play in postseason all-star games. Two Hurricanes, Brandon Linder and Stephen Morris, are in that category. Linder will play in the Senior Bowl (3 p.m. Jan. 25 in Mobile, Ala., NFL Network) while Morris will head to the East-West Shrine Game (4 p.m. Jan. 18 in St. Petersburg, NFL Network). There remains a possibility that punter Pat O’Donnell will get an invite, but no news on that front.

I didn’t feel like that was enough meat for one blog post, so let’s hand out regular-season grades for the Hurricanes’ senior class. These are completely subjective grades based off my one year of watching them. You may disagree. My goal is to be fair and assess things as completely as possible.

Anyway, here:

TE Asante Cleveland: B

Smart player and an effective blocker in UM’s oft-used double-tight end sets, though he was barely targeted in the passing game. Ended on a sweet note when he caught a touchdown pass – the first of his career – in the regular-season finale at Pitt.

LB Tyrone Cornelius: D+

Played strong-side linebacker and struggled to cover consistently. Started games against Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Florida State, Virginia Tech and Duke. Forced a fumble against Florida and finished seventh on the team with 39 tackles (two for loss, one sack).

LB Jimmy Gaines: B-

Somewhat limited athletically, but a valued leader at middle linebacker. Finished second with 76 tackles (two for loss), recovered two fumbles and broke up two passes. Had a good career, all told – lightly recruited but was a three-year contributor.

DE David Gilbert: C-

Former honorable mention All-Big Ten at Wisconsin wasn’t an effective player after transferring home. Was it the foot injury (that at one point caused him to retire)? Was it the lack of opportunity (played a season-low seven snaps against Wake Forest; was between 10 and 15 most games)? May never know. He has a nice highlight, though: recovered a fumble and returned it for a 72-yard touchdown against Virginia.

DE Shayon Green: C

Reasonably productive given his average speed and skill. Led team in tackles for loss (10.5), including two against Florida State, and had three sacks. Was third in tackles (63).

FB Maurice Hagens: B+

Strong and smart lead blocker who chipped in with a big gainer or two when his number was called. Caught seven passes for 83 yards, most of those after the catch.

OT Seantrel Henderson: C-

Never lived up to his sky-high potential. Had dominant stretches, but was sometimes outworked by players with half his physical tools (6-foot-8, 340). Could have been a full-time difference-maker and wasn’t. Maybe he’ll put it together in the NFL – maybe not.

S A.J. Highsmith: D+

Relied on too much by the coaching staff, due in part to injuries to Deon Bush and Kacy Rodgers. UM’s lack of a pass rush did him (and the rest of the secondary) no favors.

WR Allen Hurns: A

Reliable as they come. Steady force who finished second in the ACC in receiving (1,138; 94.8 yards per game) to Clemson star Sammy Watkins. Moved UM’s all-time receiving leaderboards. By far his quarterback’s No. 1 target. Could have a good NFL career as a possession receiver.

OG Brandon Linder: A

Like Hurns, a second-team All-ACC selection and a consistently good player. Don’t know UM’s offensive line grades for the season, but have to imagine he has the best marks. A couple penalties here and there, but handled his assignment nearly every time.

QB Stephen Morris: B+

Finished third in the conference in yards (2,868), passer rating (148.96) and tied for third in touchdowns (21). Has one of the strongest arms in college football, but needs to improve decision-making (12 interceptions, third-most in ACC). An ankle injury, suffered Sept. 21, screwed up his mechanics for much of the year. Will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft – would guess he’s somewhere in the fourth round.

P Pat O’Donnell: A

Arguably the team MVP. Flipped fields all year after transferring home from Cincinnati. Gigantic leg and an excellent athlete (6-5, 225). Had a 71-yard punt against Virginia. Averaged around 48 yards per punt for the season. UM didn’t punt a lot, especially early in the season, so his name wasn’t among the national leaders for most of the year. Should have been a Ray Guy finalist, but should have a strong pro career.

DT Curtis Porter: C

Finally healthy and able to play in 12 games (eight starts), but didn’t shine. Season highlight was fumble recovery against Florida, the first of his career, which led to UM’s first touchdown in the Sept. 7 win. Experienced a drop in play after that.

DT Justin Renfrow: C+

Virginia transfer surpassed Porter on the depth chart for four games (UNC, Wake, FSU, Va. Tech). Added much-needed bulk to the defensive line. Had an excellent game against Georgia Tech (five tackles, forced fumble).

DT Luther Robinson: C-

Serviceable depth lineman who neither helped nor hurt. Earned a start against Virginia.

S Kacy Rodgers: C-

Hampered by injury, but like several others, played a little more than UM probably would have liked him to. Had a sack-caused-fumble against FAU and an interception against Virginia.

OG Jared Wheeler: A-

Became a starter for the first time, starting six games in total at center and guard. Not a dominant physical force, but smart and effective.

Incomplete: Akil Craig, Alex Irastorza, Paul Kelly, Jameson Labady, Sean McNally, Chad Barnes.

- See more at: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/cane...anes’-2013-senior-class/#sthash.mJbGvZJs.dpuf

Source:http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/caneswatch/2013/12/06/grading-miami-hurricanes’-2013-senior-class/

Advertisement
Wheeler has to be the biggest surprise of the season. Though he did show flashes of strong play last year, he was a flat out stud when he finally got in there.

For a kid I don't think many expected to still be here, he had a **** of a season.

Wheeler will be drafted imo

If guys like Porter and Gilbert are C's then Green is an A. Those guys did very little, especially Gilbert. It's laughable that Gilbert can somehow have the same type of grade as Green.

With respect to Kirby, these coaches have given every indication that they want to play virtually everyone they have. They plau TOO MANY guys Imo. So when a guy isn't playing, I am highly suspicious that he flat-out stinks. They play CORNELIUS a lot inside--there's zero reason to believe that they wouldnt play kirby if he could do something. And I must state that the only time I've noticed him this year he was making an error. I am not blaming Kirby unilaterally for this--the coaches have somehow created a scenario where practically nobody is good. But I do not at all believe that he's a good player riding pine. He's probably pretty bad right now and will need some system changes like so many others.

If Tyrone Cornileous doest deserve an F then I don't know how much worse someone can play to deserve one.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back