Off-Topic Mass killings

Advertisement
It's like trying to discuss drug problems with people that can't wrap their heads around the mental health aspects or lack thereof involved.... 10 years ago pill factories were closed in mass assuming that would stop the Oxy epidemic that was rampant (Oxy being the most popular but there were many pills)... Problem is drug addicts will just find another way so most moved on to Heroin...
Even now we still have a major heroin/Fentanyl problem....but let's ignore the addict and the condition they have and think taking one drug away will stop the issue...
So let's go ahead and ban AR's....See what happens... I mean do people think that's the only "assault' rifle out there regardless of "popularity??? The issue is people wanting to kill people.... Fix that issue..... If someone wants to kill and you take away one avenue that they want to kill with that's supposed to cure people wanting to kill???
What's to stop them from searching online for info on building a bomb or any other form of way to carry out mass killings???
People are the issue and always have been.... Cure people....

Advertisement
A lot of people commit suicide. The compunction to take others out with you, though, where does THAT come from?

This is one of those things I wish there was publicly available data on. I'd love to know how many of these shooters were on meds and which meds they were on.

Take a look at the list of side effects for some commonly prescribed meds for mental health.

This is one of those things I wish there was publicly available data on. I'd love to know how many of these shooters were on meds and which meds they were on.

Take a look at the list of side effects for some commonly prescribed meds for mental health.
The thing people need to ask are... are gun laws more strict or loose since mass shootings started (Columbine?)?

What has exploded are the numbers of medications that the US population is on.

I'm sure some were on meds (and very likely all of them should have been).

I suspect if there's ANY correlation to their shooting a place up, it's because they went off their prescribed meds. That would be when they're most dangerous.

Being on illegal drugs is a whole other thing.

And, Ith and I recently discussed the side effects of virtually all drugs -- not just those for mental health.

Pretty much all include DEATH as a possible side effect, along with a bunch of other medical catastrophes almost as bad. If anyone listened to the fast-talking TV pitch man at the end of TV ads for drugs, or read the small print on written material, no one would "ask their doc" for these products.

I suspect if there's ANY correlation to their shooting a place up, it's because they went off their prescribed meds. That would be when they're most dangerous.

And, Ith and I recently discussed the side effects of virtually all drugs -- not just those for mental health.

Pretty much all include DEATH as a possible side effect, along with a bunch of other medical catastrophes almost as bad. If anyone listened to the fast-talking TV pitch man at the end of TV ads for drugs, or read the small print on written material, no one would "ask their doc" for these products.
How many of those include suicidal or homicidal thoughts?

Advertisement
How many of those include suicidal or homicidal thoughts?
I'm not sure but when "thoughts" like that are listed as side effects, it's usually referring to young people taking the med. Which fits your theory as males around 20 seem overly prone to these shootings.

Agree with most of what you say, although mathematically the greatest correlation to their shooting a place up is having a gun.

Deutschland 83 Running GIF by SundanceTV

Advertisement
Is anyone opposed to banning firearms to individuals who receive any and all mental health intervention? ie. voluntarily or involuntarily?
I am not, however, what good are laws if the one's currently in the books are ignored... whether accidentally or purposefully?
1) Under his current divorce proceedings, he was supposed to have all his firearms under lock and key.
2) Police failure to intervene 6 wks. prior. He was under law enforcement radar for threatening mass shootings.
3) Mental health professional failure.

I am not, however, what good are laws if the one's currently in the books are ignored... whether accidentally or purposefully?
1) Under his current divorce proceedings, he was supposed to have all his firearms under lock and key.
2) Police failure to intervene 6 wks. prior. He was under law enforcement radar for threatening mass shootings.
3) Mental health professional failure.
It’s easier to enforce the law on a gun shop owner than someone living in their personal home. If you have a solution for enforcing all 3 of the examples you listed, I’m all ears.

It’s easier to enforce the law on a gun shop owner than someone living in their personal home. If you have a solution for enforcing all 3 of the examples you listed, I’m all ears.

If you were going to create a world where there were no weapons, I might listen to the liberal talking points. But, we live in a world with gun, cars, knives, axes, bats, rocks-all of which can and do kill people.

You do realize that the vast majority of gun sales are NOT made at gun shops. There are nearly 400,000,000 privately owned guns in America. Many of them are decades old and are rarely used. Most are passed from parent to child. But, the truth is that more laws than ever in the history of America exist and they only impact law abiding, sane, people. Shootings have not gone down based on any law. Crooks by definition do not follow laws and nuts do not either. It is no accident that the worst shootings happen in "No Gun Zones" because only the bad people have guns while the victims follow the law to their gaves....................

I think that as a society we have become too drug friendly. Take a pill and go home, the voices will stop. Previously, people like this were kept safely in hospitals until they were well. But, liberal "freedom rights" advocates [starting with the Kennedys] unleashed thousands on communities. Thankfully most just choose to live under overpasses and are actually afraid of other people. They are free to live miserable lives. But, there are a few that become monsters-monsters out on the street without anyone trying to control their urges.

Rant over.

Advertisement
If you were going to create a world where there were no weapons, I might listen to the liberal talking points. But, we live in a world with gun, cars, knives, axes, bats, rocks-all of which can and do kill people.

You do realize that the vast majority of gun sales are NOT made at gun shops. There are nearly 400,000,000 privately owned guns in America. Many of them are decades old and are rarely used. Most are passed from parent to child. But, the truth is that more laws than ever in the history of America exist and they only impact law abiding, sane, people. Shootings have not gone down based on any law. Crooks by definition do not follow laws and nuts do not either. It is no accident that the worst shootings happen in "No Gun Zones" because only the bad people have guns while the victims follow the law to their gaves....................

I think that as a society we have become too drug friendly. Take a pill and go home, the voices will stop. Previously, people like this were kept safely in hospitals until they were well. But, liberal "freedom rights" advocates [starting with the Kennedys] unleashed thousands on communities. Thankfully most just choose to live under overpasses and are actually afraid of other people. They are free to live miserable lives. But, there are a few that become monsters-monsters out on the street without anyone trying to control their urges.

Rant over.
So the problem goes away if we reinstate the mass mental hospital institutions? Do we make pills illegal?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back