Off-Topic Mass killings

The Catholic Church...one of the most conservative institutions on the planet is the only retort you need.

However, touching kids is bipartisan fare. Plenty of scum to go around.
Conservative in what respect? My wife's extended family is Catholic, mostly liberal. The Pope is not even conservative. The idea that religious = conservative this day and age is just dogma at this point.

Advertisement
Some people just don't love guns the way others might. It is okay. The guy that owned the racist civil war store in town died recently. You probably knew that though since you are right around the corner and all.
A gun behind a door is likely a close second to a dog as a deterrent against a burglar or home intruder.

Maybe it's time to charge people as accessories for ignoring obvious red flags. If you get in my car with a bag of dead cats, you'd better believe I'm telling someone about it.

Advertisement
Conservative in what respect? My wife's extended family is Catholic, mostly liberal. The Pope is not even conservative. The idea that religious = conservative this day and age is just dogma at this point.

There are more liberal Catholics today than in previous years (growing number of younger Catholics liberals) but still, here in the US Catholics are still conservative. I believe it's about 70% of Catholics identify as conservative or moderate.

Popes do not usually have a place on the American political spectrum and while he seems more open to modernity, he's been considered a traditionalist most of his life. His views on women, gender, abortion would likely slot him conservative if you had to, but he wouldn't be far right (supported universal health care for example).

Also...I agreed with your other comment that religion was an opportunity for pedophiles...but still...its an institution that has actively covered up widespread pedophilia and has long been complicite in it.

There are more liberal Catholics today than in previous years (growing number of younger Catholics liberals) but still, here in the US Catholics are still conservative. I believe it's about 70% of Catholics identify as conservative or moderate.

Popes do not usually have a place on the American political spectrum and while he seems more open to modernity, he's been considered a traditionalist most of his life. His views on women, gender, abortion would likely slot him conservative if you had to, but he wouldn't be far right (supported universal health care for example).

Also...I agreed with your other comment that religion was an opportunity for pedophiles...but still...its an institution that has actively covered up widespread pedophilia and has long been complicite in it.
But jokes about priests and pedophilia are commonplace and accepted. Try making the same joke about a teacher.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/135-teachers-charged-child-***-crimes-this-year-alone

Religion =\= church, lets get that clear.

Advertisement

Just did a quick search and found this from PEW research, 2014, about 1/3rd lean 'republican':
1654175429172.png

Regarding institutional pedophilia, I think the Catholic church is just one of any institutions in which its widespread and covers it up. Baptists just recently got caught doing the same thing. Politicians and the ruling elite as well... it's seems to be a perpetual cycle of those in power. I would not tie it to religion/politics - IMO any true religious person seeking salvation - or any non-religious, decent-human being for that matter - are 100% aghast at the thought of molesting children.

TBO I'm a little surprised the maudes have let these insinuations of pedophilia being tied to political affiliation fly... I've been clipped for far less IMO.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Pope Francis is a Jesuit and they tend to be very liberal in the areas of social activism and politics. They are not so much sticklers for doctrinal issues.

TBO I'm a little surprised the maudes have let these insinuations of pedophilia being tied to political affiliation fly... I've been clipped for far less IMO.
This was the exact problem with OT threads. Trying to paint all members of the opposite side with a broad brush. I've had to delete comments that aimed at party, but largely left liberal/conservative alone because not all Dems are liberal and not all Repubs are conservative. But when those start being used as synonyms, it's an issue.

One thread got locked because of it yesterday.

Eh, pales in comparison to the sexual/child abuse that republicans have either been charged with or convicted of.

There are 100s on here. Do with this what you will.

Don't make this into a party thing. There are many many many on both sides. Plus Epstein et al.

Advertisement
Back