Off-Topic Mass killings

Which is why I said mental health needs to be an issue with teen suicides on the rise.
The title of this thread is mass killings. Not gun violence by mentally ill individuals that results in suicides.

As far as "media accounts", they'd also have you believe this is the only place in the world where it happens. Mostly because they don't report it from other countries unless it's something huge like the Charlie Hebdo massacre that killed 17 or the Norway massacre that killed 77.
Why would American media outlets overstate the amount of mass shootings in America, but understate it for everywhere else in the world?? What do you think their motive would be for doing that? It makes absolutely no sense. Wouldn't corporate media outlets in other countries follow similar practices as well? I know it's going to be very difficult for you to accept this reality, but mass shootings & gun violence are uniquely an American problem.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is correct. The only difference between now and 40 years ago, when this didn’t happen, is the cultural and moral decline.
What is the moral decline you speak of? The behaviors of people in America. What is it? Abortion? Same *** marriage? Atheism? Not being a Christian? Cursing, drinking, hate, white supremacy, hate crimes, mass shootings, fornication, adultery . . .

I never knew the NCBI was a repository for spurious information & pseudo science. How foolish of me to think papers written by PHDs and researchers, actually had valid findings 🤷‍♂️

The difference in the rate of violence amongst those who are mentally ill, compared to those who are sane, is marginal. 0.8% vs 2.9% respectively. So this is a pointless & irrelevant question. The more pertinent question to ask as it relates to this situation is why some people with serious mental illness are prone to aggression or violence while others are not? The answer to this question has to do with other underlying factors that are present in these individuals, like substance abuse, childhood trauma, and environmental conditions. I already said this numerous times in this thread. Furthermore, those underlying factors also drive violent episodes in individuals who are not mentally ill. When you remove underlying factors from the equation, the rates of violence between the mentally ill and the sane population ends up being more or less the same.

In the end what needs to be understood is that mass shootings account for less than 1% of firearm homicides and tend to be committed by individuals with issues besides diagnosable mental illnesses.
LOL 2.9 is what percent increase over .8? LOL at that being marginal.

The title of this thread is mass killings. Not gun violence by mentally ill individuals that results in suicides.

Why would the American media overstate the amount of mass shootings in America, but understate it for everywhere else in the world?? What do you think their motive would be for doing that? It makes absolutely no sense. Wouldn't corporate media outlets in other countries follow similar practices as well? I know it's going to be very difficult for you to accept this reality, but mass shootings & gun violence are uniquely an American problem.

Yes, because threads never deviate from the title at all.

I didn't say they overstated US mass killings, but our media absolutely has a US-centric focus, not just for the obvious reasons. Unless it's a huge killing like the one in Norway, they don't get a lot of coverage here. We discussed on another thread how dozens get killed in Nigeria on the regular and we don't hear about that.

On Dec 13, 2011, there were attacks in both Liege, Belgium and Florence, Italy, killing 6 and 2, respectively.

Further to the knife discussion, also in Liege, a guy killed 3 people by stabbing 2 police officers and taking their pistols.

Advertisement

Why would American media outlets overstate the amount of mass shootings in America, but understate it for everywhere else in the world?? What do you think their motive would be for doing that? It makes absolutely no sense. Wouldn't corporate media outlets in other countries follow similar practices as well? I know it's going to be very difficult for you to accept this reality, but mass shootings & gun violence are uniquely an American problem.

LOL yeah there is absolutely no reason the media would distort or misrepresent facts to guide public policy.

While that seems to be the case, the problem of mass killings is a world wide issue if you include the systemic mass genocides of different ethnic groups, political opposition groups, etc. that have occurred historically, and continue to occur around the world in various countries. The numbers of deaths are quite staggering.

https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/pol116/genocides.htm

Yes, because threads never deviate from the title at all.

I didn't say they overstated US mass killings, but our media absolutely has a US-centric focus, not just for the obvious reasons. Unless it's a huge killing like the one in Norway, they don't get a lot of coverage here. We discussed on another thread how dozens get killed in Nigeria on the regular and we don't hear about that.

On Dec 13, 2011, there were attacks in both Liege, Belgium and Florence, Italy, killing 6 and 2, respectively.

Further to the knife discussion, also in Liege, a guy killed 3 people by stabbing 2 police officers and taking their pistols.
Let’s get this back on topic. This is the goat song on mass killings.

Interesting data.

You have to be careful with data like this. There's a reason why this time frame is chosen and these stats are framed like they are. As you can see from the images I attached, France and Norway's attacks are from large scale terrorist attacks (I believe one was from Isis). It's not really the discussion we are having and not really comparable. The US leads the world in gun ownership per capita, and our gun violence is off the charts. I believe it's completely fair game to look at what happened in other countries after school shootings, etc (Australia, UK/Scotlnd) and the decrease in large scale gun violence. Americans are not crazier than the rest of the world, but the ease of access to weapons that cause more harm does exist in the US.

Attachments

• 20220526_104943.jpg
    20220526_104943.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220526_104727.jpg
    20220526_104727.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 4
Advertisement
You have to be careful with data like this. There's a reason why this time frame is chosen and these stats are framed like they are. As you can see from the images I attached, France and Norway's attacks are from large scale terrorist attacks (I believe one was from Isis). It's not really the discussion we are having and not really comparable. The US leads the world in gun ownership per capita, and our gun violence is off the charts. I believe it's completely fair game to look at what happened in other countries after school shootings, etc (Australia, UK/Scotlnd) and the decrease in large scale gun violence. Americans are not crazier than the rest of the world, but the ease of access to weapons that cause more harm does exist in the US.
So notwithstanding gun laws in France they still got slaughtered? And Australians are treated like chattel but their government.

I believe it’s completely fair to look at a time before the national fire arms act when fully automatic weapons were sold and we had no school shootings. What changed?

LOL 2.9 is what percent increase over .8? LOL at that being marginal.
I'm glad you deleted the part of your post where you talked about my math & trash opinions. That was definitely smart on your part.

It's marginal compared to the likelihood for future violent behavior when underlying factors are also taken into account. For example, 10% of people with both serious mental illness and substance use disorder have a tendency to commit violent acts. What this means is mental illness in of itself does not predict violent behavior. It's more complex than that, and requires analysis of contextual factors.

So notwithstanding gun laws in France they still got slaughtered? And Australians are treated like chattel but their government.

I believe it’s completely fair to look at a time before the national fire arms act when fully automatic weapons were sold and we had no school shootings. What changed?
If you want to equate a one time terrorist event where 150 people were murdered to our issue involving yearly school/mass shootings, to somehow justify our laws, go for it. Id rather try to tackle real issues and not live in fantasy land.

The National Firearms Act that was passed on 1934, that was passed to elimate automatic weapons were banned because of all the gangland mass shootings, etc? That act? The only thing that has changed is that our government was willing to address certain problems then, whereas there are 50 senators now who rather accept money from lobbyists than do something so basic as having a bill put to vote so they can hide their cowardice and not let people know they ultimately voted agaist it.

If you want to equate a one time terrorist event where 150 people were murdered to our issue involving yearly school/mass shootings, to somehow justify our laws, go for it. Id rather try to tackle real issues and not live in fantasy land.

The National Firearms Act that was passed on 1934, that was passed to elimate automatic weapons were banned because of all the gangland mass shootings, etc? That act? The only thing that has changed is that our government was willing to address certain problems then, whereas there are 50 senators now who rather accept money from lobbyists than do something so basic as having a bill put to vote so they can hide their cowardice and not let people know they ultimately voted agaist it.
Why were there virtually no school shooting prior to 1993 and now it’s an epidemic? Have the guns become meaner?

Advertisement
I'm glad you deleted the part of your post where you talked about my math & trash opinions. That was definitely smart on your part.

It's marginal compared to the likelihood for future violent behavior when underlying factors are also taken into account. For example, 10% of people with both serious mental illness and substance use disorder have a tendency to commit violent acts. What this means is mental illness in of itself does not predict violent behavior. It's more complex than that, and requires analysis of contextual factors.

The vast majority of people with mental disorders don't kill themselves or others. There are plenty of legal gun owners who don't either.

Why were there virtually no school shooting prior to 1993 and now it’s an epidemic? Have the guns become meaner?
Virtually no school shootings prior to 1993? There have been shootings at school almost yearly, if not yearly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States_(before_2000)

The only difference is that the amounts of shootings have increased and the amount of children killed have increased, which many would argue, is a result of access to weapons, and access of more dangerous weapons.

Advertisement
The NRA and 2nd Amendment will make sure Americans have alot of options to purchase guns. Furthermore, the NRA is so engrained with the GOP and give plenty of financial support that guns will never go away.

Psalm 14 and Romans 3 indicate humanity is flawed. There will never be enough done to eliminate gun violence. As technology advances so will the quality of guns and comparable products! I decided to register SmartGunRange dot com in hopes of Smart Guns gaining popularity.

What it means is there is greater likelihood of violence. By a ratio that is plainly relevant. Also, I’d wager the likelyhood increases based on other risk factors, including the type of mental illness. I’m not arguing that the mentally I’ll are guilty of “pre-crime” but denying a greater propensity for violence isn’t supported by the data. It’s all risk factor analysis.

I’d wager drug use in this population is also correlated to violence. We are starting to see linkages between drug use and violence in psychotics, but no one wants to talk about that.

Virtually no school shootings prior to 1993? There have been shootings at school almost yearly, if not yearly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States_(before_2000)

The only difference is that the amounts of shootings have increased and the amount of children killed have increased, which many would argue, is a result of access to weapons, and access of more dangerous weapons.
yeah we are talking mass shooting and there are virtually none. Go look at the numbers.

Advertisement
Back