2022 Mason Thomas, DE, picks Oklahoma

Why is he a 3-4 OLB?

Every play on that highlight tape he has his hand on the ground.

It's not the NFL, you don't need to be 6'4", 260lbs to play DE. He has speed and bend around the edge - can easily play in a 4-3 in College and has 4 years to develop his body if he's got NFL talent.
That’s true but he’s also a prototypical 3-4 OLB. Most of the DCs mentioned so far also run a 3-4, at least most of the time. Just putting 2 and 2 together.

Advertisement
Yeah his speed is unreal. The way he beat that QB to the edge around the 55s mark. What are the odds we move this kid to LB? Obviously we need him either way but he would be more than serviceable in coverage as well and he has the size for it

Yeah his speed is unreal. The way he beat that QB to the edge around the 55s mark. What are the odds we move this kid to LB? Obviously we need him either way but he would be more than serviceable in coverage as well and he has the size for it
We already did the SFL edge player to LBer experiment. It failed…a lot…and badly.

Advertisement
Why is he a 3-4 OLB?

Every play on that highlight tape he has his hand on the ground.

It's not the NFL, you don't need to be 6'4", 260lbs to play DE. He has speed and bend around the edge - can easily play in a 4-3 in College and has 4 years to develop his body if he's got NFL talent.
True, he can play DE in a 4-3, but he’s gonna need to gain some weight to play against the run. Frame says 3-4 guy. IMO, as a 3-4 OLB u can take advantage of all his gifts almost immediately. He’s big enough to set the edge, in the run game cause you would have a larger man (4 or 5 tech.) beside him, he can still rush the passer from there…but he’s athletic and fast enough to drop into coverages. My question is how the **** did he go basically unnoticed for this long?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Seen him play several times this season and he was by far the best player on that team. He popped every game I watched. I know he made some plays against STA but would really like to watch the tape of that game as I assume he went against Armella a bunch.

I like the idea of 3-4 OLB for him, very athletic can most likely make the transition to playing in space

Is this a sign they aren’t getting Moss? OR is mason a 3-4 OLB/wde with Moss being SDE. Moss looks extremely skinny for SDE.

No clue what will happen, but I LOVED the play at 1:11. He showed intelligence on that play and patience. Boss *** play for sure.

Advertisement
Back