2022 Mason Thomas, DE, picks Oklahoma

Schumann man… I don’t want to get my hopes up but that’s the direction I sense… that SEC 3-4.
Excited Ultimate Warrior GIF by WWE

Advertisement
Advertisement
Was this meant for @Coach Macho???
No. Just stating why we should’ve pursued a hybrid scheme years ago. Mason is a kid you probably can’t take in a 4-3 because of his frame but you can absolutely take him in a 3-4. That was the question with Nik Bonnito back in the day. Playing a hybrid scheme is going to allow us to take kids like this and other linemen like Calijah Kancey.

Advertisement
No. Just stating why we should’ve pursued a hybrid scheme years ago. Mason is a kid you probably can’t take in a 4-3 because of his frame but you can absolutely take him in a 3-4. That was the question with Nik Bonnito back in the day. Playing a hybrid scheme is going to allow us to take kids like this and other linemen like Calijah Kancey.
I’m surprised the gaytors haven’t been on this kid.

Advertisement
This guy 3-4 OLB, Lichtenstein a 3-4 SDE, Jayson Jones NT, they seem to already be gearing up for a 3-4 defense.
Why is he a 3-4 OLB?

Every play on that highlight tape he has his hand on the ground.

It's not the NFL, you don't need to be 6'4", 260lbs to play DE. He has speed and bend around the edge - can easily play in a 4-3 in College and has 4 years to develop his body if he's got NFL talent.

Like the above poster said, I can definitely see this kid as a 3-4 OLB. With his “get off”, he would be a terror coming off the edge if he’s rushing the passer, and he’s plenty fast and athletic enough to be used in coverage. We NEED this kinda athleticism wearing Orange and Green!

Advertisement
Why is he a 3-4 OLB?

Every play on that highlight tape he has his hand on the ground.

It's not the NFL, you don't need to be 6'4", 260lbs to play DE. He has speed and bend around the edge - can easily play in a 4-3 in College and has 4 years to develop his body if he's got NFL talent.
That doesn’t matter. Frame does and he has a thin frame. He’ll struggle to even get to 250. This is P5 football guy. You need NFL size. This isn’t the 80’s where you can just be faster than everybody.

Advertisement
Back