Maryland to the Big 10

They recently raised the buyout fee to $50 million which Maryland voted against... which is why I think this might end up in court

Advertisement
Bye to the WOAT uniforms. Under Armor failing miserably trying make them like Oregon. Don't let the door hit you in the *** turtles.

There is a 20+ page thread in WEZ that talks about why this makes sense for the Big 10 (TV footprint) and for Maryland (it is broke).
Regarding TV footprint, are potential households reached more important than actual ratings? Because few people in the DC market care about or watch Maryland football.

There is a 20+ page thread in WEZ that talks about why this makes sense for the Big 10 (TV footprint) and for Maryland (it is broke).
Regarding TV footprint, are potential households reached more important than actual ratings? Because few people in the DC market care about or watch Maryland football.

Exactly. I live here and I can tell you it's pro sports first by a mile.........then probably Penn St second and MD/VA/VT after that.

Maryland headed to Big Ten, Rutgers likely next

The University of Maryland's Board of Regents voted to join the Big Ten Conference on Monday, leaving behind a league it helped create in 1953.

Patricia Florestano, a member of the Board of Regents, confirmed to USA TODAY Sports the regents had voted to apply for admission for the University of Maryland into the Big Ten.

"There was certainly discussion about the tradition of the ACC. And the question is what's the future. And we've got to look to the future," Florestano said in Baltimore before a previously scheduled public meeting on education policy.

The Big Ten issued a news release that said Maryland would hold a news conference at 3 p.m. Eastern in College Park, Md., with university president Wallace Loh, chanceller Brit Kirwan, athletics director Kevin Anderson and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany. The Big Ten has scheduled a national teleconference for 4 p.m. with Delany, Loh, Kirwan, Anderson and University of Michigan president Mary Sue Coleman.

"I did it to guarantee the long-term future of Maryland athletics," university President Wallace Loh told Maryland's student newspaper, The Diamondback. "No future president will have to worry about cutting teams or that Maryland athletics will be at risk."

Maryland has been in a severe athletics budget crisis in recent years, going so far as to cut some of its intercollegiate programs. The Big Ten move is expected to generate several more millions a year, mainly through television rights. The Big Ten has the most lucrative television contract in college sports, with each member receiving more than $24 million a year, according to published reports, including by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

ACC commissioner John Swofford issued a statement Monday that read, "Our best wishes are extended to all of the people associated with the University of Maryland. Since our inception, they have been an outstanding member of our conference and we are sorry to see them exit. For the past 60 years the Atlantic Coast Conference has exhibited leadership in academics and athletics. This is our foundation and we look forwad to building on it as we move forward."

Florestano said the vote earlier Monday was not unanimous but that she voted for the move to the Big Ten. "There was a long discussion," she said.

Is Maryland's future brighter in the Big Ten? "We perceive it that way," said Florestano.

The Board of Regents has 17 members. "We had a majority in the room,'' she said.

Rutgers is expected to follow Maryland to the Big Ten. It has a previously scheduled Board of Governors meeting Monday, but its president, Robert Barchi, and athletic director, Tim Pernetti, have the authority to accept an invitation from the Big Ten without the board's approval. An announcement on its move could come as early as Tuesday.

Maryland's football experience with Big Ten schools predominantly has come in 37 games with Penn State. The Terrapins has played 12 other games against Big Ten opponents, with a combined record of 4-44-1. It never has played Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State or Wisconsin in football.

Maryland's move creates an opening, and perhaps some instability, in the Atlantic Coast Conference. After adding Notre Dame as a partial member (all sports but football and hockey) in September, ACC presidents voted to increase the league's exit fee to $50 million. Maryland and Florida State were the only to schools to vote against it. An ACC official, who requested not to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the situation, said the league's legal council has determined that the exit fee is binding. Maryland is expected to seek a reduction in the buyout.

"There are no loopholes," the official said.

Florestano was asked whether the possibility of a $50 million fee to exit the ACC gave her any pause.

"We're still debating what that figure is and how we're going to deal with it," she said.

The ACC could look to add UConn to fill Maryland's spot, but others in the league — especially Florida State and Clemson — will be watching closely to see how the exit fee is handled.

Advertisement

Exactly. I live here and I can tell you it's pro sports first by a mile.........then probably Penn St second and MD/VA/VT after that.

Penn State? I've lived in the DC area for 46 years and I'd never have mentioned them. Only ink they've gotten here is the Paterno scandal. Maryland, UVA and VT, in that order are covered.

The total potential number of eyeballs subscribing to the B1G Network is what the Maryland move is about for that conference. Adding a big urban market only strengthens their position and enables them to go after more money in advertising and future renegotiations.

Every major conference except the ACC is going after the dollars with a vengeance. The best we can do is halfheartedly try to entice ND to some quasi-partnership that's neither here nor there, while everyone else gets fat and rich. Pathetic, shortsighted leadership everywhere.
But my point is that ad revenue is generally tied to ratings, is it not? In other words, there might be millions of potential viewers in the DC market but that does not guarantee ratings. Maryland football is just not a big draw. It's all about the Redskins and college basketball in this town.

Penn State? I've lived in the DC area for 46 years and I'd never have mentioned them. Only ink they've gotten here is the Paterno scandal. Maryland, UVA and VT, in that order are covered.

VA Tech has surpassed Maryland. I have been here over 20 years. At one time it was Maryland, but not anymore. With that said, college football is pretty low on the totem pole.

Advertisement

The total potential number of eyeballs subscribing to the B1G Network is what the Maryland move is about for that conference. Adding a big urban market only strengthens their position and enables them to go after more money in advertising and future renegotiations.

Every major conference except the ACC is going after the dollars with a vengeance. The best we can do is halfheartedly try to entice ND to some quasi-partnership that's neither here nor there, while everyone else gets fat and rich. Pathetic, shortsighted leadership everywhere.
But my point is that ad revenue is generally tied to ratings, is it not? In other words, there might be millions of potential viewers in the DC market but that does not guarantee ratings. Maryland football is just not a big draw. It's all about the Redskins and college basketball in this town.

Right now, it does not matter whether anyone watches. That is the absurdity of the colloege football contracts right now. It has to be on a bubble because eventually the lack of quality (no viewers) will catch up. The question is when. Until that date, it will continue to be a money grab creating more and more damage.

Right now, it does not matter whether anyone watches. That is the absurdity of the colloege football contracts right now. It has to be on a bubble because eventually the lack of quality (no viewers) will catch up. The question is when. Until that date, it will continue to be a money grab creating more and more damage.

I concur with this statement. College athletics is broken, only 22 of 120+ programs are in the black. That is unsustainable and it will catch up to everyone eventually.

What's lost in all of this is the Big 10 might be forcing Notre Dame's hand and we're in the driver seat.

Advertisement

Really? Where I'm at everyone's got a PSU flag, or car sticker, etc. I guess that has nothing to do with coverage, but you would think it would be an indicator.

I concur with this statement. College athletics is broken, only 22 of 120+ programs are in the black. That is unsustainable and it will catch up to everyone eventually.

If nobody was watching, the superconferences would not be forming and getting hundreds of millions a year in fees. There would be no move towards a playoff model with even more money than the BCS system, which is already a veritable faucet of cash. Anyone who keeps coming back to Maryland not being a ratings bonanza is missing the point.

There hasn't been a bubble for the NFL yet, which has been growing at a crazy clip money-wise for years, and there won't be for the foreseeable future. CFB is following the same trajectory- ratings nationwide keep going up, more conference networks keep appearing, and the money keeps rolling in. It's insane, but if there wasn't a market for this stuff, it wouldn't exist.

It's not a figment of anybody's imagination- us Americans really love our football. It's really no different than Europe shelling out hundreds of millions for Champions League soccer and their various domestic leagues. Eyeballs equal dollars.

The problem is football is funding every other sport in the athletic department by being 75% to 90% of total revenue. Title IX is the one ******** the athletic department's budgets over. There is no women's sport equivalent to football in relevancy or as a money driver. UConn basketball might be, but they can probably only fund themselves and not say, the women's volleyball or golf team. Football is being forced to fund everything else and that's not a good business model to be in. That is why only 22 of 120+ athletic programs are in the black.

Advertisement

Really? Where I'm at everyone's got a PSU flag, or car sticker, etc. I guess that has nothing to do with coverage, but you would think it would be an indicator.

I am sure this is very dependent on where you live in the DC area. For a relatively small footprint, it has a lot of distinct areas. I grew up in Montgomery county and there MD and PSU were about on par with each other in football popularitywise with VT and then UVA after them, but none of them were that popular and trailed all of the pro sports. MD definitely had some basketball fans, but it still wasnt huge.

My parents moved to Northern VA (Loudon County)while I was in college (Miami) and I moved to Arlington after graduating and the Hokies are by far the biggest college team (still trail the Capitals and Nationals by a lot and are miles behind the Redskins). I now live in DC and I would say I see more fans of schools like Florida than I do VT or MD inside the city, but actually in the city is very transient, so it's probably not a fair barometer.

Very little coverage of college teams is given on sports radio in the area; it is literally 95%+ pro with about 70% of it being Redskins (even during the NFL off season when nothing is going on). The 70% is lower than before since the Nationals were good this year, prior to that I would have said 85% Redskins all year round and that is on the sports talk station that is not owned by Dan Synder.

I have no idea about other parts of Maryland other than knowing that Baltimore County, PG County, Annapolis, and the Eastern Shore are all very different and very different from Montgomery County as well. I would imagine some of the counties that border PA could be PSU fans as well, but none of the the places I have been directly exposed to seem to have large college football contingents.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back