Maryland to the Big 10

Advertisement
Not a big loss for football, and no loss for basketball if we get Uconn. MD is better geographically, but it's not like Clemson or FSU jumping ship.

I like how the ACC has been proactive about expansion, so we're not in a terrible situation yet. Just seems like a curious move for Maryland......being a charter member of the ACC and all. Hope we can nab UCONN and stay sound.

Advertisement
kinda strange since UMD is a top notch university academically. kinda fits what the ACC wants (outside of the FSUs and Clempsons of the conference)

56.gif

There is a 20+ page thread in WEZ that talks about why this makes sense for the Big 10 (TV footprint) and for Maryland (it is broke).

I like how the ACC has been proactive about expansion, so we're not in a terrible situation yet. Just seems like a curious move for Maryland......being a charter member of the ACC and all. Hope we can nab UCONN and stay sound.

Maryland's athletic department had been in serious trouble the last several years. This is from July this year: "In this environment, a downturn in ticket sales, coupled with a heavy debt burden, can be catastrophic. At Maryland, those factors converged in a perfect storm in recent years. The school’s athletics department deficit, now $4.7 million, is projected to reach $17.6 million by 2017 if not addressed." http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...enue-model/2012/06/28/gJQAmEvx9V_story_1.html

They made several very questionable decisions, their programs haven't been doing as well as they had before (Football and Basketball) and the economy in general has been down. They had to cut several programs (9, I think). Here are some of their questionable decisions:

- Expanded their football stadium after the a few decent years from their team (ACC Champions and a few 10 win seasons), but now that they fell back to Earth, no one is going and they are left with the expansion bill.

- Built a new basketball arena

- Extended then fired their actually decent coach in Fredigen (sp?), so they are paying off his salary

- Spending $3M on synthetic turf for the football stadium

I am sure there are others as well, but it has been a mess for them and they, like us, dont have the huge donors to give them tons of money. They would be even worse off without Under Armour.

Advertisement
There is a 20+ page thread in WEZ that talks about why this makes sense for the Big 10 (TV footprint) and for Maryland (it is broke).
Not fully true its just mainly tokegator, juveeer and, WBG saying that. Plus no one has really truly explained how the terps will pay the 50 million exit fee

Advertisement
Not fully true its just mainly tokegator, juveeer and, WBG saying that. Plus no one has really truly explained how the terps will pay the 50 million exit fee

They seem to be a little strapped for cash lately. This very well might end up in the courts ala' West Virginia

They seem to be a little strapped for cash lately. This very well might end up in the courts ala' West Virginia

Kevin Plank (owner of Under Armour) did just cash out over $50M in stock, but I doubt he give them that type of money, but if they really are going to make $10-12M a year more, you are looking at 4-5 years to pay that off, not that huge a deal I would think.

UCONN is a crap addition IMO. They bring virtually nothing to the table and they were the one's that sued Miami for leaving the BE, F-them!

Advertisement
Yeah, I'm not particularly enthralled with the addition of UConn

Maryland's athletic department had been in serious trouble the last several years. This is from July this year: "In this environment, a downturn in ticket sales, coupled with a heavy debt burden, can be catastrophic. At Maryland, those factors converged in a perfect storm in recent years. The school’s athletics department deficit, now $4.7 million, is projected to reach $17.6 million by 2017 if not addressed." http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...enue-model/2012/06/28/gJQAmEvx9V_story_1.html

They made several very questionable decisions, their programs haven't been doing as well as they had before (Football and Basketball) and the economy in general has been down. They had to cut several programs (9, I think). Here are some of their questionable decisions:

- Expanded their football stadium after the a few decent years from their team (ACC Champions and a few 10 win seasons), but now that they fell back to Earth, no one is going and they are left with the expansion bill.

- Built a new basketball arena

- Extended then fired their actually decent coach in Fredigen (sp?), so they are paying off his salary

- Spending $3M on synthetic turf for the football stadium

I am sure there are others as well, but it has been a mess for them and they, like us, dont have the huge donors to give them tons of money. They would be even worse off without Under Armour.

Looks like Underarmour is going to need to kick in more cash.

Advertisement
Back