Maryland going after Richt

Richt's former AD, Damon Evans, is at Maryland. I'm not sure if the interest is genuine, or if they're doing him a favor by publicly announcing their interest?

... But I think that would be a great spot for Richt, assuming he's ok with the weather. B1G school, trying to establish themselves against Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and Rutgers. He would definitely be a "name" hire for them.

Why is it a great spot? Much easier to win at Miami than MD.

Well, I want Mullen at Miami. So, I don't see us hiring Richt.

But I think UNC (if Fedora left), South Carolina, or Maryland would all be good jobs for Richt.

I think he could win enough to make Maryland relevant during their next coaching search. And I think they would give him time to win, unlike what Miami will expect.

Nobody sees Maryland winning the East next year. But Miami should absolutely be in the mix for the Coastal. Immediate expectations at Miami, not the same at Maryland. Richt should also get a ton of resources to build it up.

And, given its Maryland, it would be a HUGE get for them. He's an SEC coach with about a .700 winning percentage. He's coached against Meyer and Franklin, already.

The more I think about it, the better the fit at Maryland.

Win-win scenario for Richt and Maryland, IMO.

Yeah, not seeing it. That actually convinced me he's a better fit for Miami. And, for the record, I want Mullen too.

Advertisement
Looks like they have an interview set up for tomorrow already. SMH.

or not

Matt Porter ‏@mattyports 37m37 minutes ago
Matt Porter Retweeted Seth Emerson
AJC source casts doubt Richt "will interview anywhere in next two weeks." Conflicts with info out of Maryland, etc.

Advertisement
Back