Marvin Harrison Jr. NIL Deal - 25 million

pinocchio GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
A couple things.

First, I'm pretty sure NFL deals are 5 year, with the team having the option to exercise the 5th year or terminate the contract after 4. So it would be 25/5, or 5M for a 1-year NIL deal to match that.

Second, 5M is still frickin insane. Hope the Buckeye choke on that fat payout assuming it's true, which I highly highly doubt.
They are 4, but yeah - that was my first thought. This is not similar to a NFL high draft pick it is way above which is why I am very skeptical.

If they had that type of money to throw at one person, they would be a lot better off giving lots of high offers to several players than an astronomical amount to one player. And if they have the type of money to give him that and others tons of money, why are they not absolutely killing everyone else in recruiting.

Also, everyone needs to keep in mind this story is from si.com's Fansided - not actual reporters (and we all know how so many on here feel about the standards of actual reporters) - who is referencing Footballguys.com which is a fantasy football advice site. I would take all of this with a giant grain of salt.

Great WR, but no wr is worth that. Good for him. Bad for OSU. Win for America.
That's great.

But then shouldn't we expect to see NIL inflation demands from the others. Not to match, but a significant bump up?

Ohio State has:
5 star Carnell Tate
4 star Brandon Innis
4 star Noah Rodgers
4 star Kyion Graves
4 star Caleb Burton

That's just from the 2022 and 2023 classes. Everyone should get a bump up.

But if Harrison is commanding $25M, what about the quarterback that they want to bring in? Or their offensive line? Or their defensive line?

By comparison, if it's $25M for one year - Harrison would be tied with A.J. Brown for the fourth highest salary in the NFL for a wide receiver.

If you believe this I don't know what to say. This is like a last ditch effort to keep Smith or something and if it is real that's even worse.
This. Nobody is paying that much for a college kid, bruh. That is the handlers and media run amok. Think about it like this. How many schools in college football have enough talent to beat OSU, right now? Maybe what... 4-5 schools (UGA, UMich, Ala, UTexas, maybe 1 or 2 more)? So one would surmise that anybody willing to pay that much money would probably come from out of those few schools, right? You know the one kid that would put them firmly over the top. Cause I'll be damned if I'm spending THAT KINDA MONEY, and not GUARENTEED to win a Natty! So that number just knocked 97% of D1 potential suitors outta the equation. OK, so If one of those named schools decide that they were willing to give him that much, what are they gonna do about the other members of the team, that's now gonna have their hands out asking for a helluva lot more than the puny (by that standard) $50,000 NIL that they got? I mean these are all pretty good teams, that are stacked with talent, right? Sooooo if that happens, you talking about whole *** teams saying, "Fucc ths ****! Significantly Upgrade my money, or I'm out". That number would be disastrous. How much your QB gonna ask for now, LOL? Nobody got the resources to be paying 85 millionaires AND the **** coaching staff (which by that point, they would want hefty raises, too. The NCAA is in the business of making money. If we outchea giving college kids more money than most of the men in the NFL, then the NCAA and college football will die a painful and agonizing death.

Advertisement
That's great.

But then shouldn't we expect to see NIL inflation demands from the others. Not to match, but a significant bump up?

Ohio State has:
5 star Carnell Tate
4 star Brandon Innis
4 star Noah Rodgers
4 star Kyion Graves
4 star Caleb Burton

That's just from the 2022 and 2023 classes. Everyone should get a bump up.

But if Harrison is commanding $25M, what about the quarterback that they want to bring in? Or their offensive line? Or their defensive line?

By comparison, if it's $25M for one year - Harrison would be tied with A.J. Brown for the fourth highest salary in the NFL for a wide receiver.
EXACTLY This!

Advertisement
Wow! Would be curious to know how we stack up with the blue bloods. Money ain’t everything — Texas has more money than anybody and has sucked for awhile except for this year — but it sure helps.

The media is a bunch of scum bags

How can anyone write suck garbage and better yet how does anything it's remotely close to the truth

It's easy when anyone can say anything bc it can't be fact checked or proven/disproven.

The numbers being put out there are absurd and very unlikely.....even the numbers for transfer QBs. Caleb Williams has actual commercials so he can't be compared to other NIL numbers being put out there for guys simply getting booster/collective checks.

Wow! Would be curious to know how we stack up with the blue bloods. Money ain’t everything — Texas has more money than anybody and has sucked for awhile except for this year — but it sure helps.

Misleading article.

These guys would arguably get what their first year salary would be in the NFL as a high pick—not the entire contract of a high first round pick.

Either way they’d be fools to come back, unless Ohio State gets a baller quarterback and they can legit chase and win a title.

Other than that you take the full NFL payday and run.

Advertisement
Back