Martell Waiver Timeframe

Advertisement
Why focus on quarterbacks? That's the only position where a free market philosophy would be an issue for the reasons you and another poster mentioned. Pretend you're a borderline DT NFL prospect but your school just hired a 3-4 DC, all of sudden your playing time is cut in half, no reason why that kid shouldn't be allowed to leave.

The kid picked the school. The kid knows coaches can leave. The kid also has the ability to graduate and have immediate eligibility.

Why are people shaming the NCAA for making kids focus on earning a degree?

The system works exactly the way it should. Earn your degree, transfer wherever you want. Nobody is stopping that.

And players can always go FCS and play immediately. Players can also declare for the draft. There are multiple options that don’t require immediate eligibility for every transfer that’s mad he didn’t get the starting spot.

The kid picked the school. The kid knows coaches can leave. The kid also has the ability to graduate and have immediate eligibility.

Why are people shaming the NCAA for making kids focus on earning a degree?

The system works exactly the way it should. Earn your degree, transfer wherever you want. Nobody is stopping that.

And players can always go FCS and play immediately. Players can also declare for the draft. There are multiple options that don’t require immediate eligibility for every transfer that’s mad he didn’t get the starting spot.

Credits aren't a problem, don't come at me with earning a degree before transferring.

Why focus on quarterbacks? That's the only position where a free market philosophy would be an issue for the reasons you and another poster mentioned. Pretend you're a borderline DT NFL prospect but your school just hired a 3-4 DC, all of sudden your playing time is cut in half to no fault of your own, no reason why that kid shouldn't be allowed to leave.

Agreed. I am not in favor of total Free Agency every offseason but I think the NCAA needs to be a little more lenient and come up with simple guidelines to follow to allow immediate eligibility.

A HC change or a coordinator change should allow the player to freely leave as well as any “hardship” that creates a negative environment for the player as a result of the leadership at the school.

I don’t think a player should become immediately eligible at another school because they are homesick or made the wrong decision.

Does anybody know the expected timeframe for the NCAA approving/denying Martell’s waiver request?

Shea Patterson’s case was brought up in December and decided In April. I imagine Martell’s timeline will be similar.

The NCAA is slow. We all remember that from the Shapiro investigations

Advertisement
Agreed. I am not in favor of total Free Agency every offseason but I think the NCAA needs to be a little more lenient and come up with simple guidelines to follow to allow immediate eligibility.

A HC change or a coordinator change should allow the player to freely leave as well as any “hardship” that creates a negative environment for the player as a result of the leadership at the school.

I don’t think a player should become immediately eligible at another school because they are homesick or made the wrong decision.

Better guidelines is a good start for sure.

Can't wait til this waiver **** gets dropped and they start letting free labor play wherever the fvck they want whenever the fvck they want. Tate didn't like his situation in OSU, why penalize a child, I'll never understand it.
We wouldn’t have fielded a team last year.

Credits aren't a problem, don't come at me with earning a degree before transferring.

If you didn’t have appropriate credits towards graduation, you couldn’t transfer at all. That’s a given.

But earning the degree to have immediate eligibility seems fair to me.

We can agree to disagree. No harm no foul.

Can't wait til this waiver **** gets dropped and they start letting free labor play wherever the fvck they want whenever the fvck they want. Tate didn't like his situation in OSU, why penalize a child, I'll never understand it.
It's coming.

Advertisement
If you didn’t have appropriate credits towards graduation, you couldn’t transfer at all. That’s a given.

But earning the degree to have immediate eligibility seems fair to me.

We can agree to disagree. No harm no foul.

Grad transfer rule works, that's not my point. But if a 19 year old freshman wants to transfer it isn't school credits that is holding them back, it is only that they need to sit a year. That's a fact.

Grad transfer rule works, that's not my point. But if a 19 year old freshman wants to transfer it isn't school credits that is holding them back, it is only that they need to sit a year. That's a fact.

The sitting out a season is designed to make the kid really consider if the transfer is worth it. And they know the rules ahead of time.

Where does the line stop at transfers? Can they transfer every season and being eligible at the new school? Can they transfer back to the school they left and be eligible?

There are all kinds of unintended consequences that come with granting every student athlete immediate eligibility when they are on a full ride.

The sitting out a season is designed to make the kid really consider if the transfer is worth it. And they know the rules ahead of time.

Where does the line stop at transfers? Can they transfer every season and being eligible at the new school? Can they transfer back to the school they left and be eligible?

There are all kinds of unintended consequences that come with granting every student athlete immediate eligibility when they are on a full ride.

There can be rules. But the players are free labor, therefore they should be free to do whatever they want whenever they want.

And, no, I am not going to get into the ethical discussion of "is tuition a form of payment?" You won't be able to nudge me on that topic.

I would think Martell can get one. He can point out that the coach who recruited him quit after a major domestic violence scandal and “health problems” he can say the program the new coach brought in his own offensive system and transfer QB. If I was him I would just keenhitting in the environment around a program who covered up domestic violence.
That argument won't fly. Martell kind of hurt himself. He was posting on social media to Justin Fields that he was going to be the starting QB at Ohio State and Fields should look elsewhere. That was after Urban Meyer's retirement announcement. Also, the new head coach has been his offensive coordinator for two years so the "I transferred because of the new coach" excuse is rather weak. It's obvious he transferred because of Fields. The question the NCAA would/should ask is, "If Fields didn't transfer to Ohio State, would Martell still be there?" Obviously, yes. Like I said previously, his social media posts will not help his cause. I would be shocked if the waiver is granted to Martell or to Fields for that matter.

Advertisement
There can be rules. But the players are free labor, therefore they should be free to do whatever they want whenever they want.

And, no, I am not going to get into the ethical discussion of "is tuition a form of payment?" You won't be able to nudge me on that topic.
I agree with you. These kids are making a lot of people a lot of money. That being said, unrestricted free agency would definitely be transformative... and I don’t know if that would be good for the sport.

I would think Martell can get one. He can point out that the coach who recruited him quit after a major domestic violence scandal and “health problems” he can say the program the new coach brought in his own offensive system and transfer QB. If I was him I would just keenhitting in the environment around a program who covered up domestic violence.
Only problem with that argument is he stayed the whole year following the scandal... If he was affected that much he would have left when when it all went down.... It's more than obvious the only reason he left is because Fields transferred in... Look his lawyers are gonna argue this that and everything else but I don't see him being cleared.... The one thing he had going for him was graduating early but that doesn't look realistic either...
But who knows maybe someone has ties to someone behind the scenes and it could go through..... Until it does I don't see him on the field this coming year...

Guess you don’t have kids and have that looming thought of how you are going to pay for college?

I was a baseball player on 1/2 scholarship
Trust me it’s a big deal and it IS a form of payment

Advertisement
Guess you don’t have kids and have that looming thought of how you are going to pay for college?

I was a baseball player on 1/2 scholarship
Trust me it’s a big deal and it IS a form of payment

Like I said, I won't get into the ethics of it. Scholarships have extraordinary value but in terms of the reciprocal value provided by students athletes it doesn't compare.

So it's a business from one side but not for the other? There's one goal for big time college football players and that's to get to the NFL. If you're not happy with your trajectory, you should have a chance to change it. But no, you're right, let's continue to profit off kids and holding them down to some mythical contract with a certain institution.

There can certainly be better ways to go about the process. Imagine being a 19 year old kid being frustrated but you can't do anything about it. Your only course of action is taking a severe hit to your long term prospects by sitting a year out.

I understand where you’re coming from. My only concern with immediate eligibility is the ‘free-for-all’ other posters alluded to.

At one time, and it may vary by conference, scholarships were renewed annually. If a player was ‘underperforming’ some teams would not renew or otherwise ‘encourage’ the player to leave in order to open up a scholarship. Some conferences now have scholarships for the duration of eligibility to prevent this practice. As long as the player is academically eligible and follows school and team rules he should be in good standing.

This is to protect the player, and rightfully so. I feel if player’s scholarships are multi-year they should sit a year if they transfer. Balance is needed to protect the schools. I do agree school should not be able to block players from transferring to specific schools. Thankfully this is no longer allowed.

The Justin Fields situation is a farce. Somebody made a racist comment, joke, or threat? Too bad. Deal with it. This is a unfortunate part of life. He lives in the Deep South, of all places.

The only waiver should be real family hardship.

I think if they don't, they could be risking a precedent in court allowing transfers in addition to all of the dirty laundry that gets aired.
Excellent point RVA. You know **** well the NCAA doesn't want to do anything to tarnish their squeaky clean image. I'd say the dirtier the laundry, the more likely they are to keep as much of it from being aired out as possible.

Does anybody know the expected timeframe for the NCAA approving/denying Martell’s waiver request?

I personally hope that fields waiver is denied. I am all for grad transfers going wherever they want but fields (and martell's) are not solid excuses for immediate eligibility IMO. You can easily argue both ran from competition. If Martell is granted eligible idk who wins the QB race because I think we'll be solid at least at the position

Advertisement
Back