Marshall Faulk

Karlnolits26

Redshirt Freshman
Just watched "A football Life" on Marshall Faulk. He really wanted to be a Hurricane but Erickson wanted him as a CB..... Even at SDSU he started as their 7th RB lol so I'm not saying we messed up. Just cool to see how players love The U !

Advertisement
might have beat Alabama in 92 if we had him. garry Sheffield wanted to come to Miami too, but they wouldn't let him play baseball and football.

Curtis Johnson (from N.O.) recruited Faulk to SDSU. I believe. CJ played for Erickson at Montana or one of those western schools where D.E. used to coach. I met C.J. in the VIP press box after the '89 UM-SDSU game. He was still coaching at SDSU but visiting coaches would visit our VIP box after the game. He came by to say hello to some of his former college coaches including Dennis. Curtis later became our WR coach and one of our greatest recruiters ever, especially in Louisiana. I'm just guessing CJ brought us Reggie Wayne and Ed Reed among a bunch of other solid Louisiana guys.

Yeah, we missed on Faulk because of position, just like Spurrier missed on Clinton Portis by recruiting him for CB.

Sometimes good coaches make mistakes in recruiting.

Last edited:
Sometimes you win on these situations sometimes you lose.

We got Clinton Portis because Steve Spurrier wanted the Gainesville High Hurricanes star to play DB and UM offered at RB. Portis later became the highest paid RB in the NFL a few years later. I would have loved Marshall Faulk too but SD State got the benefit of that decision.

Advertisement
Curtis Johnson (from N.O.) recruited Faulk to SDSU. I believe. CJ played for Erickson at Montana or one of those western schools where D.E. used to coach. I met C.J. in the VIP press box after the '89 UM-SDSU game. He was still coaching at SDSU but visiting coaches would visit our VIP box after the game. He came by to say hello to some of his former college coaches including Dennis. Curtis later became our WR coach and one of our greatest recruiters ever, especially in Louisiana. I'm just guessing CJ brought us Reggie Wayne and Ed Reed among a bunch of other solid Louisiana guys.

Yeah, we missed on Faulk because of position, just like Spurrier missed on Clinton Portis by recruiting him for CB.

I dunno. Jim Kelly was a helluva LB at Penn State.

I dunno. Jim Kelly was a helluva LB at Penn State.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to that mythical story about Kelly not going to PSU over being recruited as a LB. Back in the late 80's I had a neighbor in Virginia who was from Kelly's hometown and had a completely different story about what really went on. It had everything to do with getting an ACT score and how it was accomplished and by whom. I heard this story almost thirty years ago and don't remember all the details. It's very possible the whole business about Paterno wanting Jim as a LB and Jim wanting no part of it was nothing more than a smokescreen. We'll never know and no one has an incentive to talk about it.

I just don't know what about Kelly shouted LB to Paterno and Sandusky. I'm skeptical about the whole story. There we're probably a lot more kids in Pennsylvania at the time who were put together more like a typical PSU linebacker.

Advertisement
Back