Marquette on 3/28 (7:15 on CBS)

Advertisement
Marquette (No. 3 East)

Weakness: Perimeter shooting

Before the unbelievable comeback against Davidson got started, Marquette had gone 1-of-12 from three in that game. The Golden Eagles then hit three straight threes to rally from a six-point deficit in the final 1:02.

Marquette continued to shoot well against Butler, going 5-of-12 from deep.

Perimeter shooting, however, has not been a strength for the Golden Eagles this year. They make only 30.3 percent of their threes and have only one player who shoots better than 35 percent—Jamil Wilson at 36.3 percent.

Vander Blue, who is a 30.9 percent three-point shooter, has made 5-of-10 in the tourney. If he stays hot, the Golden Eagles will have a chance against Miami.

Miami (No. 2 East)

Weakness: Free-throw shooting

This is a bit of a stretch—Miami is a team that does just about everything well, if not great.

The 'Canes do shoot 68.3 percent from the line, which is not horrible, but it does rank 213th in the country.

Free-throw shooting was a problem for most of the game on Sunday against Illinois. At one point, the 'Canes were 4-of-9 at the line in a close game. To their credit, they made their final six from the stripe in the last 36 seconds to hold on.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

The argument above for Miami is weak (at least they admit it is "a bit of a stretch").

We all know we have a little trouble from the FT line. But Miami in their last 8 games is shooting from the FT Line 75.6% (121/160)

1. 10/15
2. 18/21
3. 15/20
4. 23/30
5. 11/17
6. 15/19
7. 15/21
8. 14/17

Advertisement
With Reggie out, Marquette will go all out to get our bigs in foul trouble......something they are very good at doing. The game may ride on how much foul trouble they can put Gamble in. MU is more physical than Illinois and Buzz will be rotating 10 all night while we effectively have 7....this will be another painful grinder.

Last edited:
With Reggie out, Marquette will go all out to get our bigs in foul trouble......something they are very good at doing. The game may ride on how much foul trouble they can put Gamble in. MU is more physical than Illinois and Buzz will be rotating 10 all night while we effectively have 7....this will be another painful grinder.

Unless we're hitting shots. They can go rotate 12 guys, it doesn't mean they will be able to get the ball downlow and get us in foul trouble. Their biggest player is Chris Otule is 6'11 (only plays 18 mins per game), scores 5 points and 3.5 rebounds. Second biggest guy (only other guy bigger than 6'8) is Gardner, who was my only real concern, because he can actually score down low. The good thing about Gardner is he can't play much more than 20 minutes (weight) and averages 17.6 mins on the season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
i was able to watch both of their games in lexington, they sub like no other team i have ever seen. literally every dead ball they sub. they couldn't stop the butler guard, i have no idea how they stop scott or larkin from getting in the lane. their bigs are big but no way they can show on the ball screen like IL did.

i was able to watch both of their games in lexington, they sub like no other team i have ever seen. literally every dead ball they sub. they couldn't stop the butler guard, i have no idea how they stop scott or larkin from getting in the lane. their bigs are big but no way they can show on the ball screen like IL did.

I don't understand all the subs, sometimes you need to get rhythm going and it takes time.

8. Marquette (3) vs. Miami (2)

There is nothing wrong with this matchup, and it may end up the best game of the eight, but somebody had to finish last. An important question: Will an enterprising member of Marquette’s student section, well known for using giant cutout heads to distract shooters, make a big head of Nevin Shapiro?

Advertisement
The Underdog
Marquette. This is the Golden Eagles' third straight Sweet 16 appearance, though only last season's, to which they were led by a pair of NBA draft picks in Jae Crowder and Darius Johnson-Odom, did not feel like much of a surprise. In 2011 they did it as a No. 11 seed, and this season they were pegged for seventh in their league in the preseason after Crowder's and Johnson-Odom's graduations, a slight they wore like a badge of honor during their run to a three-way split of the Big East regular-season title with Louisville and Georgetown.
The Golden Eagles have gotten a lot of mileage out of fostering the mentality of an underdog, from coach Buzz Williams (a heart-on-his-sleeve Texan whose story of clawing his way up the coaching ranks has been well-told) on down to his players, who eat up every instance they are informed of a pundit picking against them. It is shooting guard Vander Blue, a five-star recruit once labeled a bust as a freshman who has worked his way into leading-man status as a junior, who has appeared most openly in tune with this mindset; as he said Saturday night, "It's just waking up everyday and facing the battle." This was after his team had advanced to yet another second weekend, a distinction likely to curry praise beyond the locker room walls, and so Blue was quick with a pre-emptive addendum: "I still don't want people to jump on our bandwagon."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-c...0130325/sweet-16-east-regional/#ixzz2OktPBJjv

Advertisement
Got**** I am so hyped. Win tomorrow and we're one win away from the Final Four. Unreal.

Fired up for tonight. Got that same excitement/nervous feeling I used to get when our football team was last relevant.

Advertisement
Back