Marlins park to potentially host season opener

Zbrod95

Thank God for the Columbus Mafia
marlins-park-open-to-potentially-hosting-um-season-opener
There is a possibility the renovations at New Miami Stadium, formerly named Sun Life Stadium, will not be completed in time for the Miami Hurricanes' opener on Sept. 3. against Florida A&M.

Marlins Park hosted the Miami Beach Bowl in 2014 and 2015.
If the game were to be moved, Marlins Park would be an option according to Marlins president David Samson.

“I have not spoken to anyone from UM,” Samson told the Associated Press. “This is a building where we host the Miami Beach Bowl. Certainly it’s a great place for football. If there comes a need for them to play somewhere else and they have an interest in playing on the Orange Bowl site, I would take their call.”

The Marlins are on the road Aug. 29-Sept. 4 and Samson believes the turnaround for the field would take a day, which would give them enough time before their Sept. 5 game against the Phillies.

“You just have to convert the field,” Samson said. “To help out the U of M we would always help them out.”

The Marlins and Hurricanes shared New Miami Stadium, which is expected to have a new stadium name by August after the naming rights deal with Sun Life expired in January, for four seasons (2008-11).

Marlins Park opened in 2012 and has hosted two college football games—the Miami Beach Bowl in 2014 and 2015. The capacity crowd for football games is 34,000.

Marlins Park would be a viable option and something to consider because stadium renovations are about a month behind schedule according to a source although the Dolphins are hopeful to have the stadium ready.

“We’re working through the details,” University of Miami director of athletics Blake James said. “Obviously the Dolphins are fully committed to having the stadium done for us for our opening game—they have two preseason games before that. With that said recognize things happen with construction projects and there’s things you can’t control so we’ve taken it upon ourselves to get a contingency plan in place. That’s something if needed we’ll have to roll out and put in place for our football program and fans.”

Marlins Park and FIU Stadium, which hosts the FIU-Indiana game on Sept. 1, are the two closest options.

“We’re looking at all options,” James said. “Until it comes time to need to put the options in place and obviously we’ll give our fans enough time to be able to react. It’s not something we want to do the week of, but if it’s something we have to do we’ll put the plan in place and communicate the plan out to our fan base as to where the game will be playing. But I’m planning on seeing our games played at where we’ve played them the last eight years now and looking forward to the great improvements to what the Dolphins organization continues to make to the stadium.”

Neutral site location Camping World Stadium in Orlando, open on Sept. 3, is also a possibility. Raymond James Stadium in Tampa and FAU Stadium in Boca Raton have football games scheduled on Sept. 3.

“I think any stadium would be interested in taking the game,” James said. “Who wouldn’t want the Miami Hurricanes to come and play in their facility? Again we’re looking at all options and seeing what is ultimately the best fit for us.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
“I have not spoken to anyone from UM,” Samson told the Associated Press. “This is a building where we host the Miami Beach Bowl. Certainly it’s a great place for football. If there comes a need for them to play somewhere else and they have an interest in playing on the Orange Bowl site, I would take their call.”

“You just have to convert the field,” Samson said. “To help out the U of M we would always help them out.”

***** THEM. They "helped" us right out of the best home field advantage in football. ********

Last edited:

***** THEM. They "helped" us right out of the best home field advantage in football. ********
Couldn't say it better myself

I wouldn't trust a single word that comes out of Samson's mouth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F@CK THAT WORM AND F@CK THE MARLINS.

WILL NEVER ATTEND A SINGLE SPORTING EVENT AT THAT BLASPHEMOUS FACILITY.

CANT EVEN LOOK AT IT WHEN I DRIVE ON THE 836.

Advertisement

you might be the only guy on the 836 actually paying attention to the road

you might be the only guy on the 836 actually paying attention to the road

LOL re 836! There could be some powerful force that would come to be a factor by playing on the grave site of the Orange Bowl.

Play the game at FAMU. They never get to host us, and we'd probably get a better draw. ****, I'd drive down from Birmingham.

Advertisement
Play the game at FAMU. They never get to host us, and we'd probably get a better draw. ****, I'd drive down from Birmingham.

LMAO. You ever seen Bragg Stadium? We mide as well play the **** game at Traz Powell or even Lockhart. Dude there is no way that is ever happening. Although the people of FAMU would love the extra revenue.

The Orlando or even Jacksonville stadium options would be the best way to go. These games would only help recruiting in those places. Local kids come and see UM blow out these opponents is a plus. As a season ticket holder, half the reason to attend a FAMU game is just to see the new Miami stadium anyway.

Advertisement
It is ridiculous that in 2016 the University of Miami football program is going through this problem with the stadium. Smh.

It is ridiculous that in 2016 the University of Miami football program is going through this problem with the stadium. Smh.

What's so ridiculous about a possible delay in a gigantic construction project? **** happens more often than not.

Advertisement

It's the curse of leaving the stadium/grounds that once provided the best home field advantage in division 1.

Our program has been and is still run by incompetent ********. Hiring Richt was a step in the right direction, but that doesn't absolve them of the sins of the past. Leaving the Orange Bowl was the single worst development in the history of this program.

I'm going to keep rooting for the Marlins to lose, fail and leave town....or for Dolphins stadium to blow up with nobody inside it. We need to get the **** out of the current lease and somewhere closer to campus, or at least a more central part of Dade County.

It's the curse of leaving the stadium/grounds that once provided the best home field advantage in division 1.

Our program has been and is still run by incompetent ********. Hiring Richt was a step in the right direction, but that doesn't absolve them of the sins of the past. Leaving the Orange Bowl was the single worst development in the history of this program.

I'm going to keep rooting for the Marlins to lose, fail and leave town....or for Dolphins stadium to blow up with nobody inside it. We need to get the **** out of the current lease and somewhere closer to campus, or at least a more central part of Dade County.

There is definitely a curse associated with the Orange Bowl. I'm going to get in touch with my old pal Papa Legba to see if he can run a voodoo game and get rid of that curse once and for all.

Advertisement
Back