Mark Walton

I thought we hired Ice in 2008 to a "non football" (wink wink) position?

When Al came on board in 2010/2011 Ice resigned/was forced out/fired (who knows)?

Did you guys forget about this? Didn't know about this? What?

This is true but at the same time, I've also heard that Al and Ice are actually quite close. Whether or not that's always been the case, or it's happened in the past couple years - I don't know. But I've heard from a reliable source that their relationship is a strong/good one.

Advertisement
From speaking to him he seems solid, just wants to look around and see schools. What I don't get is why it was such a shock to people when he said it.

Tito, I'd imagine the process of getting reclassified cant be an easy task..? Do you know what the process is and how likely he is of getting reclassified?

From speaking to him he seems solid, just wants to look around and see schools. What I don't get is why it was such a shock to people when he said it.

Tito, I'd imagine the process of getting reclassified cant be an easy task..? Do you know what the process is and how likely he is of getting reclassified?

I don't know exactly how it's done but from speaking to him and just inferring it's going to involve him taking summer classes as well as online classes and a lot of it. He said he plans on taking summer classes, I've just never seen this work out before so we will see.

Good deal Tomas. BTW, what was "such a shock to people"? That he was going to look around? I dont think it was a shock so much as a "oh sh*t here we go again". Early commits dont usually last for us, and RBs have had a nasty habit of bailing out on us the last few years at the 11th hour too. When he went from being a "commit" to "Im going to look around" it pretty much confirmed what everyone was already expecting.

You see it more in Basketball. Noel kid who went to Kentucky and tore his ACL last year is an example.

Advertisement
I've been hearing Ice is being looked at for a "quality control" coach at UM. Similar to Hurlies previous role.

This again? :diaf:

I think it is to late to do that anyway. Pretty sure Universities aren't allowed to touch parents of recruits within 12months of their kid getting a athletic scholarship.

Don't think this is true, since Randy hired Ice right before Brandon signed with us.

Ice better fix the whole "BTW kids trolling Miami at the last minute" thing before they give him that job.

I've been hearing Ice is being looked at for a "quality control" coach at UM. Similar to Hurlies previous role.

Would be a smart move on Golden's part.

That would send a BIG message to other colleges around that we are really putting up a fence around south Florida....Ice Harris is a Legend here along with a Roland Smith, Walt Frazier, and Billy Rolle....He is a BIG voice in the inner city community and throught....hope it happens

I'm a big fan of this move. I think we need to do something like this and get a link going to the inner city.

Am I missing something here? Why would adding Ice BACK on the staff, have such a huge impact in keeping So Fla kids home? I mean I dont think it could hurt, and Im not against it, but I dont get why people think this is going to suddenly have a huge impact on keeping local kids in So Fla. He was on staff under Shannon and we had just as many problems, if not more with So Fla talent then. Although I suspect that AG might use Ice more effectively than Shannon did.

I have no problem with this hire if true, though I find it a bit far fetched, I just dont think its going to have the big recruiting impact some do.

Advertisement
Not sure I am following the mindset on the class change. Anyone care to enlighten me as to why this may or may not happen? And the benefit it would have for him, or us for that matter?

He is 17 years old right now and should be a class of 2015 kid. He was held back along the way and is trying to get back into his natural class

It's called redshirting ... everyone in middle school is doing it. Kind of ****es me off.

You really don't get why it shocks people when a rock star recruit who was once portrayed to us as ALL CANE, now "seems solid" "just wants to look around and see school"?

You really don't get why it shocks people when a rock star recruit who was once portrayed to us as ALL CANE, now "seems solid" "just wants to look around and see school"?
When he's a SFLA kid who committed in the fall of his Junior year? No, not at all.

Advertisement

When he's a SFLA kid who committed in the fall of his Junior year? No, not at all.

I'm not surprised that the player wants to see other schools in the least bit. I am more surprised that Tito is surprised that people get concerned when the next Duke Johnson is becoming less and less the next Duke Johnson.

I'm not surprised that the player wants to see other schools in the least bit. I am more surprised that Tito is surprised that people get concerned when the next Duke Johnson is becoming less and less the next Duke Johnson.

He wants to see schools. He's still committed. Relax.

Seriously he's a 17 year old kid who wants to take free visits my god is it really that mind boggling to imagine kids who earned that right to do so would actually want to travel?

Advertisement

I am completely relaxed. The kid is 2, maybe 3 signing days from now. Committed. Seems solid. Wants to see schools. Sounds like typical recruiting. People being concerned when commits go to other schools. Also typical recruiting.

Im sure he is trying to EE also so its gonna make it very tough to do but its been done before

Would love to see him pull it off from a work ethic perspective in general. Sets the goal. Gets it done. Good to see from anyone.

I am completely relaxed. The kid is 2, maybe 3 signing days from now. Committed. Seems solid. Wants to see schools. Sounds like typical recruiting. People being concerned when commits go to other schools. Also typical recruiting.

Exactly. This is really the best case scenario nowadays. There are far too many variables between now and when he will sign that can alter this kid's decision. We could very well have an entirely new coaching staff. We could sink to an even lower status...or we could even win a national title. You never know, but the kid isn't going to put all his eggs into one basket when he is 2 years from signing somewhere.

Bottom line (and its been said many many time) is win and he/they will come.

Advertisement
Back