Mark Walton Arrested Again

I disagree maybe when it comes to blocking but Joe Yearby had an elite skill set. Mark Walton was strong but not elite at any one thing.

“There goes Yearby through the hole!”

sloth-crawling.gif

Advertisement
If it was substance abuse he would have most likely failed a drug test by now(other than weed). Not everyone reacts the same to CTE. Its just like with drugs. I knew tons of kids at Miami that would do all sorts of crazy drugs and never hurt a fly, but other people try meth one time and go out and cause a hostage situation. The same is clearly the case with CTE. Some people get it and just forget things or little minor inconveniences. Other people turn violent or lose impulse control etc.

Also, its not like CTE is common in every pro sport. Its not like golfers and tennis players are getting tons of CTE. You would have to compare NFL/boxers/mma fighters/etc against the general population. You also should be comparing those guys to people in similar financial brackets since being poor is a major factor in getting arrested.
He ****ed his pants during the Pizza Hut incident so it might just be alcoholism. That would just be a guess but at least there's an iota of evidence there as opposed to the linkage to CTE of him just being a former football player.

The comparison of crime rates that I remember was one proffered by the NFL in the wake of (I believe) the Ray Rice scandal. So it was just NFL players vs the general population and did account for demographics like age, etc.

Advertisement
He ****ed his pants during the Pizza Hut incident so it might just be alcoholism. That would just be a guess but at least there's an iota of evidence there as opposed to the linkage to CTE of him just being a former football player.

The comparison of crime rates that I remember was one proffered by the NFL in the wake of (I believe) the Ray Rice scandal. So it was just NFL players vs the general population and did account for demographics like age, etc.
There is no bigger linkage between alcoholism and this, than cte and this. Billions of people have fit the bill for being "an alcoholic" and never committed armed robbery. Do you have any studies that show people that drink alcohol are more likely to commit a crime than someone with brain damage?

Numerous years in the past 2 decades NFL players have committed more violent crimes than the general population. from 2000-2013 6x they had more violent crimes than the general population. This isn't adjusted for wealth either. I would like to see how NFL players stack up against similar salaried individuals(I would bet they have way higher violent crime rates). Since, as I said before, wealth is one of the biggest factors for likelihood of being arrested. Comparing NFL players making 500k+ a year to a population where 99% of the people make less than 500k is foolish.

Advertisement
There is no bigger linkage between alcoholism and this, than cte and this. Billions of people have fit the bill for being "an alcoholic" and never committed armed robbery. Do you have any studies that show people that drink alcohol are more likely to commit a crime than someone with brain damage?

Numerous years in the past 2 decades NFL players have committed more violent crimes than the general population. from 2000-2013 6x they had more violent crimes than the general population. This isn't adjusted for wealth either. I would like to see how NFL players stack up against similar salaried individuals(I would bet they have way higher violent crime rates). Since, as I said before, wealth is one of the biggest factors for likelihood of being arrested. Comparing NFL players making 500k+ a year to a population where 99% of the people make less than 500k is foolish.

I think we probably disagree about CTE being remotely settled science so this debate would probably go on forever.

I'm just more on the side that none of us are really in the position to make an acute diagnosis about what is the issue with this specific kid. I only cited alcoholism because the kid literally ****ed himself during one of his last encounters with law enforcement.

Yup- weak overall evidence to say he has a substance abuse issue but no more weak than just blaming CTE, imo.

Nonetheless, here's to him having some sort of Come to Jesus moment and/or getting an actual diagnosis and getting help. I do think it's kind of ****ty for people to at minimum have derived a few years of pleasure or entertainment from these kids but then be like "Oh well. F em. They blew their chance." when they mess up their lives.

Not opining on whether or not he has brain damage - he very well might - but regardless of that, some people are just bad people.

Not everyone is inherently good or moral.
Saying he is just a bad person is too convenient and simply lazy. I seem to remember there was a time when coaches and teammates spoke very highly of him. Such an extreme shift in behavior and personality is consistent with a serious neurological disorder, especially around the age it started showing up (i.e. mid-twenties).

Saying he is just a bad person is too convenient and simply lazy. I seem to remember there was a time when coaches and teammates spoke very highly of him. Such an extreme shift in behavior and personality is consistent with a serious neurological disorder, especially around the age it started showing up (i.e. mid-twenties).

My statement was not exclusive to Mark Walton.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's consistent with any number of mental health issues too. There are PLENTY of people that never played a contact sport and have committed crimes way worse than Walton has/is accused of where the reaction is of major disbelief from people that knew them earlier in life and spoke very highly of them.

I think we probably disagree about CTE being remotely settled science so this debate would probably go on forever.

I'm just more on the side that none of us are really in the position to make an acute diagnosis about what is the issue with this specific kid. I only cited alcoholism because the kid literally ****ed himself during one of his last encounters with law enforcement.

Yup- weak overall evidence to say he has a substance abuse issue but no more weak than just blaming CTE, imo.

Nonetheless, here's to him having some sort of Come to Jesus moment and/or getting an actual diagnosis and getting help. I do think it's kind of ****ty for people to at minimum have derived a few years of pleasure or entertainment from these kids but then be like "Oh well. F em. They blew their chance." when they mess up their lives.
I agree that we can't diagnose him from the computer screen. People with brain damage also **** themselves.

That said, I doubt we disagree to much about CTE since I have seen your posts on other subjects and you are generally very reasonable.

I don't really care what they call it. CTE. Brain damage. etc. But people have known for at least hundreds of years that hits to the head cause people to act in strange ways. When I was a kid decades ago, any boxing gym you went to, people would tell you about how guys would become punch drunk. Some would become violent, some would just become total morons, some wouldn't have much effects at all, but everyone knew it existed. This isn't some new thing that people just discovered when the CTE lawsuits started popping up. Even the boxers from the 1800s knew about it.

Advertisement
It's consistent with any number of mental health issues too. There are PLENTY of people that never played a contact sport and have committed crimes way worse than Walton has/is accused of where the reaction is of major disbelief from people that knew them earlier in life and spoke very highly of them.
That doesn't really mean anything. Plenty of people get into car accidents sober. That doesn't mean alcohol isn't going to impair your ability to drive.

Advertisement
Back