Mark Walton and Joe Yearby are underrated by our fans

Yep. Portis and Gore, for example, were difference makers from the moment they first started getting balls....as freshmen...

There's a difference between being productive and being a difference maker - quite a noticeable difference, actually...

They're both good out of the backfield catching balls....And they'll definitely be doing that with Richt calling the shots on offense....

As for their ceilings when running the ball out of the backfield, I think they'll both be productive backs, but I wouldn't be surprised if an RB or two passes them on the depth chart before they finish their careers here....

Not sure yet about Yearby but I agree with you on Walton. He's underrated by our fanbase. The bigger problem is our OL.
How is a guy who put up 3.5 yards per carry on about 90 carries underrated when most people on here talk about him like he's a top RB? He was probably in the bottom 10 RBs in FBS in ypc for guys with more than 80 carries.

Yearby has all of the tools for an elite running back power, vision, quickness, receiving and his cuts are next level. When you watch him this year if the OL is much better you will see the comparisons to those guys you just mentioned.

[video=youtube;cRUsPXgI7IY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUsPXgI7IY[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
We had more TDs called back last year than any team in the history of football. Most of them should have been non calls.
I'm sure Walton is a great guy but when your long run for the year is 30 something yards on over 100 chances then a red flag goes up.

Yearby is not a homerun threat either but at least he has the quickness to make people miss which I rarely see with Walton.

Huh? Look at Mark Walton here creating. People SERIOUSLY underestimate his ability. That offensive line last year was AWFUl.

[video=youtube;0fxTlWUINfo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fxTlWUINfo[/video]

Whenthe guy u r supposed to get (cook) is in ourrivals backfield and is a hiesman type, they will always be compared. Cook should be leading this team right now with Alex Collinsgoing pro. Whenu .iss elite players and get regular good players its nust the way itis. If JY ran a 4.3 he would be boss.

Yep. Portis and Gore, for example, were difference makers from the moment they first started getting balls....as freshmen...

There's a difference between being productive and being a difference maker - quite a noticeable difference, actually...

They're both good out of the backfield catching balls....And they'll definitely be doing that with Richt calling the shots on offense....

As for their ceilings when running the ball out of the backfield, I think they'll both be productive backs, but I wouldn't be surprised if an RB or two passes them on the depth chart before they finish their careers here....

Not sure yet about Yearby but I agree with you on Walton. He's underrated by our fanbase. The bigger problem is our OL.
How is a guy who put up 3.5 yards per carry on about 90 carries underrated when most people on here talk about him like he's a top RB? He was probably in the bottom 10 RBs in FBS in ypc for guys with more than 80 carries.

Yearby has all of the tools for an elite running back power, vision, quickness, receiving and his cuts are next level. When you watch him this year if the OL is much better you will see the comparisons to those guys you just mentioned.

The one thing elite backs have is speed and he doesnt have it so hes never going to be elite

One thing I liked about Walton was his nose for the endzone. For ***** sake over the last few years, our inability to get those last couple yards near the end zone or a first down just sodomized drive after drive. I think when Walton adds some more weight he can get tough yards and pile up some more TDs.

Advertisement
I wouldn't say they're underrated. They are what they are, which is good not great. Both are more than serviceable and both should have a shot at the next level, especially Walton. Yearby weakness is top end speed. Which if that's noticeable on the college level it's only going to be worse in the Pro's. If Walton takes a step up in his game this year, then I might reconsider about him.

Miami has been extremely spoiled at running back over the years. So it might be unfair to compare these guys against the greats. Either one could start on 90% of D1 teams but in my opinion that's not considered elite, it's good.

I think they're good enough to win with. They may not have the ceiling of a Gore or Duke( not many do), these guys can move chains consistently and catch the ball well. Miami won for years without dominant running backs before that run in the 2000's....

The one thing elite backs have is speed and he doesnt have it so hes never going to be elite

Football isn't played on a straight line and that's why it's not a given that a 4.3 40-yard dash will translate to great rushing numbers. Emmitt Smith combine numbers were 4.68 and 4.72. His pro day at florida he ran a 4.8 (injury). With that said he is arguably the greatest running back of all times. Yaworsky said to **** with 40-yard dash times and informed Johnson and Jerry Jones that Smith had the best vision of any running back he'd ever scouted.

I think what they're elite at is catching the ball out of the backfield.

But when it comes to running the ball, they're at best "decent" and "experienced".

How can you judge with the coaching and line-play we had last season? Walton is way better than decent and will have a good sophomore campaign. He has it all except the breakaway speed.

Advertisement

Football isn't played on a straight line and that's why it's not a given that a 4.3 40-yard dash will translate to great rushing numbers. Emmitt Smith combine numbers were 4.68 and 4.72. His pro day at florida he ran a 4.8 (injury). With that said he is arguably the greatest running back of all times. Yaworsky said to **** with 40-yard dash times and informed Johnson and Jerry Jones that Smith had the best vision of any running back he'd ever scouted.

Nike went out with a bang with those unis. Man, they were fire!!!

That said, E. Smith is not the greatest RB ever. Not even close. He had a tremendous O-line and overall offense that allowed him to put up great numbers, but a lot of RBs throughout NFL history could have done the same or better with those Dallas teams..

Are you not the same guy that's been talking about how awful our OL was last year?

This^^:U5PyXda:

That said, E. Smith is not the greatest RB ever. Not even close. He had a tremendous O-line and overall offense that allowed him to put up great numbers, but a lot of RBs throughout NFL history could have done the same or better with those Dallas teams..

Yeah Man, love the all green unis!!!

As for Emmitt, key word is "arguably". Now I can argue the point and back it up but that's not who I think the best is I will leave that to someone else. But I will say this though, there were better offensive lines in the history of the NFL that had great RB but you will be hard press to list two that put up better numbers rushing than Emmitt Smith.

Are you not the same guy that's been talking about how awful our OL was last year?
No, Moron. A great RB gets more than 3.5 per no matter who is blocking. What was Yearby's ypc behind that same line? And Yearby is not an elite RB either. But he was a lot better than Walton.

Walton is an elite pass catching RB. He'll get better running the ball too. But he's not an electric guy who will score from anywhere. He's a good solid player like Yearby. We need a dose of electricity at RB, though, because we don't have it.

The line sucked, and generally speaking so did the coaching and play-calling. End of story. Too much goes into why he averaged less than Yearby did.

Check the video at 1:55. It was obvious last season Walton ran very well with 21 personnel (FB) but we never stuck with it. For some reason Coley would switch from 11,12 or 21 personnel packages despite success and without making the defense adjust to start using secondary triggers. He would never build his play-calling consistently enough to exploit defenses with one package or another, but I expect Walton to excel in this system because Richt knows what he's doing.

At 3:40 Walton shows his elite balance and elusiveness. Some dude on the thread said he doesn't make people miss but he has exceptional ability to do that while running downhill. He makes 6 dudes miss tackles before making a house call from 30 yards out.

At 5:17 he shows a lot of creativity to reverse field and make something out of absolutely nothing.

In 2 of the plays above he was dead-to-rights but made huge plays. He's got elite physical ability. With decent blocking, better coaching, and balanced play-calling he should show he's a lot better than 3.5ypc.

https://youtu.be/aUxLQ2is1cM

Last edited:
Advertisement

As for Emmitt, key word is "arguably". Now I can argue the point and back it up but that's not who I think the best is I will leave that to someone else. But I will say this though, there were better offensive lines in the history of the NFL that had great RB but you will be hard press to list two that put up better numbers rushing than Emmitt Smith.

Who were the QBs behind those lines? What about the WRs and TEs on those teams? Who were the FBs (21 package)? And who was coaching/calling plays? So much went into Emmitt's records that it clearly wasn't a reflection of his physical ability. You wanna talk about "arguably"? Arguably he was the lesser of all the evils on those Dallas teams (in terms of skill positions) and defensive coordinators had no choice but to let him run.

You can't put him in a class with Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Eric ****erson, Jim Brown, Walter Payton, or even a Marshall Faulk.

Last edited:

Who were the QBs behind those lines? What about the WRs and TEs on those teams? Who were the FBs (21 package)? And who was coaching/calling plays? So much went into Emmitt's records that it clearly wasn't a reflection of his physical ability. You wanna talk about "arguably"? Arguably he was the lesser of all the evils on those Dallas teams (in terms of skill positions) and defensive coordinators had no choice but to let him run.

You can't put him in a class with Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Eric ****erson, Jim Brown, Walter Payton, or even a Marshall Faulk.

I can put it this wise... Jimmy Jones once said that he could hire anybody to coach the Dallas Cowboys and get the same results as Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy Johnson put him to task and called his bluff. Jones responded and hired another HC. He won a supper bowl with Johnson's team but failed to maintain the same level of greatness over time. See History is recorded over time. I say that to say this, I can say I can put any other Man in your shoes and he will do what you do or better. But that may be true for a period of time but not for an extended period of time. There are a lot of different variables that cause you to do what you do and it works best for your situation at this or that point in time. The point here is you just can't look at someone else and conclude that just because he's great in his life he'll be great in yours.

Last edited:

No, Moron. A great RB gets more than 3.5 per no matter who is blocking. What was Yearby's ypc behind that same line? And Yearby is not an elite RB either. But he was a lot better than Walton.

Walton is an elite pass catching RB. He'll get better running the ball too. But he's not an electric guy who will score from anywhere. He's a good solid player like Yearby. We need a dose of electricity at RB, though, because we don't have it.

The line sucked, and generally speaking so did the coaching and play-calling. End of story. Too much goes into why he averaged less than Yearby did.

Check the video at 1:55. It was obvious last season Walton ran very well with 21 personnel (FB) but we never stuck with it. For some reason Coley would switch from 11,12 or 21 personnel packages despite success and without making the defense adjust to start using secondary triggers. He would never build his play-calling consistently enough to exploit defenses with one package or another, but I expect Walton to excel in this system because Richt knows what he's doing.

At 3:40 Walton shows his elite balance and elusiveness. Some dude on the thread said he doesn't make people miss but he has exceptional ability to do that while running downhill. He makes 6 dudes miss tackles before making a house call from 30 yards out.

At 5:17 he shows a lot of creativity to reverse field and make something out of absolutely nothing.

In 2 of the plays above he was dead-to-rights but made huge plays. He's got elite physical ability. With decent blocking, better coaching, and balanced play-calling he should show he's a lot better than 3.5ypc.

https://youtu.be/aUxLQ2is1cM

I agree with this totally. And I already checked Francis because Walton was a backup and played in certain situations. Now, what you are talking about are nuances and/or intricacies of the game that the average fan don't see when watching the game or film. But these are the details they need to know before they make most of the blanket statements or evaluations that they make and then post.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Whenthe guy u r supposed to get (cook) is in ourrivals backfield and is a hiesman type, they will always be compared. Cook should be leading this team right now with Alex Collinsgoing pro. Whenu .iss elite players and get regular good players its nust the way itis. If JY ran a 4.3 he would be boss.

Here's a scary thought though... if Cook was here right now Golden might still be too.

Here's a scary thought though... if Cook was here right now Golden might still be too.

The recruitment of cook changed the direction of both UM and fsu, if MR can keep these elite kids in sfla than we will come back fast.

We went 6-7 with Duke Johnson and a better offensive line...So I'll politely disagree

Advertisement
Back