Mark Stoops wanted Ed Reed to coach with him.

Based on coaching Rumph has led teams of high school students to championships. Reed while being my favorite Cane of all time, has never coached any athlete. At this point Rumph has at least proven he can coach students. As much as I love Ed Reed, he didn't become Ed Reed in techniques. He became Ed Reed on instincts and that can't be taught so who knows if he will be able to coach.

I beg to differ. Reed wasn't the fastest, the strongest or the most athletic DB but he is arguably the best player that played his position. Obviously you didn't follow his career closely to make that statement. It wasn't "instinct" that made him one of the greatest. It was his football IQ and his dedication to study offenses and QB's. It is a well know fact that he was a film room junkie. Breaking formations, studying schemes and opposing offenses tendencies. When he was at Miami he basically coached the defense leading to NC. I will go as far as saying his football IQ and ability to break down offenses and prepare for them better than Rumph.

Mark Stoops didn't offer him the job for nothing. Stoops coached many DB's during his career but only took a chance on Reed as someone without prior coaching experience. I'm not anti Rumph and I wold like to see him succeed here, but how many job offers he got to coach in college or NFL? I'll wait and listen.

Advertisement
Based on coaching Rumph has led teams of high school students to championships. Reed while being my favorite Cane of all time, has never coached any athlete. At this point Rumph has at least proven he can coach students. As much as I love Ed Reed, he didn't become Ed Reed in techniques. He became Ed Reed on instincts and that can't be taught so who knows if he will be able to coach.

I beg to differ. Reed wasn't the fastest, the strongest or the most athletic DB but he is arguably the best player that played his position. Obviously you didn't follow his career closely to make that statement. It wasn't "instinct" that made him one of the greatest. It was his football IQ and his dedication to study offenses and QB's. It is a well know fact that he was a film room junkie. Breaking formations, studying schemes and opposing offenses tendencies. When he was at Miami he basically coached the defense leading to NC. I will go as far as saying his football IQ and ability to break down offenses and prepare for them better than Rumph.

Mark Stoops didn't offer him the job for nothing. Stoops coached many DB's during his career but only took a chance on Reed as someone without prior coaching experience. I'm not anti Rumph and I wold like to see him succeed here, but how many job offers he got to coach in college or NFL? I'll wait and listen.

Well said. Ed seemed to specialize in "fooling" QBs into throwing passes. He knew what they were looking for and would give it to them, then suddenly he was where they thought he would not be. That is grey matter thinking not skill and talent. It is teachable to kids with brains. Plus it is hard to imagine him not recruiting well -- DBs at least. Hopefully Mike was hired for his coaching and not payback for the bbq cook Mark got at UGA.

Have a feeling that Rumph may be one and done at this school. Has shown he's not a great recruiter already, and if he coaches like he played with the 'Skins, CMR will not be impressed.

thats so stupid. and wrong. he hasn't proven anything yet. recruiting is all about building relationships. rumph coached hs last year. he had 1 month to do what most coaches had multiple years to do with the 16 recruits.

we won't know anything about rumph's recruiting till 17 at earliest. 1 month is to early to judge a guy. coach kool is top dl coach in college can recruit has at missou yet he failed to land any dt's except tyreic martin doesn't make him a bad recruiter.
If Rumph wasn't a former Cane, everyone (that isn't already) would have been up in arms over his hire as soon as Burns didn't give us a real look.

People keep talking about relationships, and how he didn't have time. He had Burns before he came here, he will have a pre established relationship with 4 top tier recruits in the 17 class. Going to be tough to white knight for him any further if we don't land some combination of Bryan/Wilson/Slaton/Herbert.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back