Mark Richt

They've gotten caught with the QB recruiting. They had Mettenberger, who's mother works for UGA, but he got into trouble. Aaron Murray was a four year starter, but they didn't get anybody groomed behind him. #1 rated QB recruit is committed to them now, but starting a true freshman at QB next year likely won't go well. Winning the big game definitely seems more like the exception instead of the rule. He recruits well, but they always lose at least one or two games they shouldn't.

Advertisement
Richt is what Butch would be.

8-10 wins per season, regular top 12-25 rankings, would regularly contend for the Coastal but lose in the championship game, would never make the playoffs ... But would get close every 5 years.

If y'all aren't good with that, please exit the BBB train now.

Richt is a solid coach ... As is Butch. But neither coach is the assassin we need to really compete for national titles.

Malzhan is an assassin ... Chip Kelly, Pete Carroll, and Hue Jackson are assassins ... Obviously, Urban and Saban are assassins. Art Briles is an assassin. Gary Patterson has become an assassin, after allowing that Baylor comeback last year. Bryan Harsin, Justin Fuente, and Tom Herman are assassins. Mike Leach, Mike Gundy, Kingsbury, and Dana Holgorsen are assassins. Jim Harbaugh, too. Mullen, Freeze, and Bielema, too.

Those guys are all out to take your heart when they play you. Not all of them are elite coaches ... But all of them have the mentality you want.

Richt isn't really a killer. So, while I like him ... And think he gets way more grief than deserved ... I wouldn't want him.

And for those who want to neg me because of the Butch reference ... I'm not against him because I think he's "bad" ... I'm against hiring him because there is no way he lives up to the mythical proportions social media and message boards have built him up to.

UGA fans loved Richt for a long time. Then the 10 win seasons became the expectation. Then Florida, LSU, Auburn, and Bama won titles ... Now, they think Richt is "bad". He's not "bad" ... He's just not an assassin.

Living in GA, a lot of people wanted him gone three years ago. He is a good coach, but I think his gameplanning and recruiting could leave a little to be desired. We all know he hasn't won any big games in the past 5 seasons, and the only real reason he "kills" recruiting is because its UGA or GA tech for college ball in Georgia. He may steal a decent one every now and then, but I don't think he could compete with FSU and UF. Also, he is way too loyal to assistant coaches. A problem that we just went through. I think he'd be no better than 8 wins a year, and he'll pull the occasional 10 win season. Not the home run hire we need.

No...
I would burn all my cane stuff and send the ashes to Blake James, an once at a time

Advertisement
No emotion, too PC and too nice. career underachiever.

Nothing else should be said. Nice guys finish last

If you want to be a permanent 8-9 win team hire Richt or Shula for that matter.

By the way, he has a very good recruiting turf and unlimited assets up there and has done nothing with it. He must have cut Pruitt and Schottenheimer's balls off. He sure is dumbing down good coaches. Too **** conservative.

LMFAO at anybody that would want that stiff here

9 wins in the SEC is 10-11 here. We could do worse and I think it's much easier to win here. I'd still rather choose Butch or Herman but Richt is a good third option. He'd have us in the running for the playoffs often here but could he win the playoffs?

Yep... hes more Qualified and experienced than 95% or more of the people suggested except Butch..... In a better Conference than ACC...would win the coastal every year and a few ACC titles.... strong recruiter and good coach.....

I gotta say it again, fellas.

14 full seasons at UGA
9 times he won 10+ games
Finished in the top 25 11 times
The top 10 eight times
9 bowl wins
6 Division titles
2 Conference titles

Listen, if you tell me they're gonna take Butch off the table and not pursue guys like Herman, and our pool is Chud/Wario/Schiano, I'm signing Richt and feeling good about it.

- His recruiting ground will slightly improve
- Annual schedule becomes significantly easier
- Bama, UF, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss etc all gone

Based on the names were hearing, at this point, I'd be thrilled with Richt.

Advertisement

14 full seasons at UGA
9 times he won 10+ games
The top 10 eight times
9 bowl wins
6 Division titles
2 Conference titles

Listen, if you tell me they're gonna take Butch off the table and not pursue guys like Herman, and our pool is Chud/Wario/Schiano, I'm signing Richt and feeling good about it.

100% agree with this.

14 full seasons at UGA
9 times he won 10+ games
The top 10 eight times
9 bowl wins
6 Division titles
2 Conference titles

and people are complaining about getting this guy LMAO we would kill to have that track record the past decade

Richt is a better choice than Mario Cristobal, Greg Schiano, Rob Chudzinski, Hue Jackson, Mike Leach, Mark Stoops, or Charlie Strong.

Advertisement
Richt is a better choice than Mario Cristobal, Greg Schiano, Rob Chudzinski, Hue Jackson, Mike Leach, Mark Stoops, or Charlie Strong.

Your right only I think Jackson is the wild card here.. We have absolutely no idea how he would translate to the college level. Could be a slam dunk or more mediocrity. Looks great on the surface though a true X's and O's guy.

If the following 8 are available....this is how Ferman ranks the probability of hiring them....

1. Pagano
2. Chud
3. Butch
4. Mario
5. Strong
6. Herman
7. Fuente
8. Richt

Advertisement
Richt is pretty high on my list. He's an excellent recruiter and has fared very well against a tough schedule every year. Its not easy to win the SEC people. If for whatever reason the BOT does not go with Butch (and we don't land a pipe dream like kelly or Dantonio) i want richt.

14 full seasons at UGA
9 times he won 10+ games
The top 10 eight times
9 bowl wins
6 Division titles
2 Conference titles

If you narrow the pool down to Dud/Beanerdict/MonkeyBoy/Richt, then **** right I'm taking Richt. I just hope the pool isn't down to those 4.

Richt is pretty high on my list. He's an excellent recruiter and has fared very well against a tough schedule every year. Its not easy to win the SEC people. If for whatever reason the BOT does not go with Butch (and we don't land a pipe dream like kelly or Dantonio) i want richt.

He's 5-10 against his main rival--UF. Many of those losses came against new or bad coaches at UF.

He's never won anything of significance. And he's had huge talent to work with.

He's a pretty steady guy. He'll get you 9 or 10 wins. Is that enough for UM? It's not for me. He simply has too many clunkers on his resume' against teams that he had much better talent than.

Richt doesn't win the big game. Do you really want a coach that routinely loses to his biggest rival?

UM deserves better.

Advertisement
Back