Mark Richt

Advertisement
georgia was a different team when Richt was more involved as a coach. When he started delegating, the team didn't look the same.

Georgia lost to a sh*tty Florida team in 2002. They win that game they play Miami in the national championship and get destroyed by Miami. Even when Richt was calling plays, Georgia was still losing the big games.

Like beating #3 LSU in the 2005 SEC championship game 34-14?

Like breaking in a true freshman quarterback (Matt Stafford) in 2006, and going into the final two regular season games 6-4 and Stafford had 12 interceptions and 4 TD's--then beating #5 Auburn at Auburn 37-15?

And then #16 Georgia Tech at home 15-12?

And then #14 Virginia Tech in the Chick-fil-A bowl 31-24?

[sarcasm] Yep, dude just can not win the big games. [/sarcasm]

There's no real reason to discuss MR at this point. Those things should have been done before he was hired. I did not support the hire because Mark richt proved over and over again that he was not capable of winning the big game.

Of the candidates available, who did you want?

Butch. He had unfinished business and everything we want in a coach, recruiter, Talent developer....you name it.

Butch didn't seal the deal, either. He bungled that Washington game.

He was always a questionable gameday coach, which was an issue at UNC as well.

I would've been fine with Butch, but he was far from a slam dunk for a lot of reasons.

Butch did not bungle the Washington game. We had a Young quarterback that was still learning how to walk. Washington had a good team that year. We just ran out of time.

I hope mark becomes a Savage coach. However, a Savage would not suspend Sam Bruce.

Butch was a circus that day. He was screaming for Portis to come out of the game when he was chewing up yards.

Butch wasn't perfect.

georgia was a different team when Richt was more involved as a coach. When he started delegating, the team didn't look the same.

Georgia lost to a sh*tty Florida team in 2002. They win that game they play Miami in the national championship and get destroyed by Miami. Even when Richt was calling plays, Georgia was still losing the big games.

I'm not so sure Miami would have beaten UGA in 2002 considering that in real life Miami did lose to OSU. That year's OSU team was the most awful undefeated team I saw until 2014 FSU but Miami lost anyway. Well 1998 Tennessee may have been worse than 2002 OSU but that's it.

I'm not so sure Miami would have beaten UGA in 2002 considering that in real life Miami did lose to OSU. That year's OSU team was the most awful undefeated team I saw until 2014 FSU but Miami lost anyway. Well 1998 Tennessee may have been worse than 2002 OSU but that's it.

Uh, we would've beaten Georgia.

We demolished the Gators in the Swamp, and they lost to them at the ****tail Party.

[video=youtube;GAtv3_k1XpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAtv3_k1XpU[/video]

Advertisement
I thought Richt was the best choice. Butch would have been a decent choice but his perceived reputation (whether deserved or not) as a dirty man after the UNC scandal probably made him a non starter. Plus who hires a 64 year old as coach anyway? People were talking about Larranaga being too old when he was hired and he was only 60. John Robinson at USC was sort of what made me wonder about hiring a retread coach.

All the choices other than Butch and Richt made me want to throw up. I almost would have wondered why we fired Golden if we had hired any of those.

Last edited:

Butch. He had unfinished business and everything we want in a coach, recruiter, Talent developer....you name it.

I would've been fine with Butch, but he was far from a slam dunk for a lot of reasons.

Butch did not bungle the Washington game. We had a Young quarterback that was still learning how to walk. Washington had a good team that year. We just ran out of time.

I hope mark becomes a Savage coach. However, a Savage would not suspend Sam Bruce.

Butch was a circus that day. He was screaming for Portis to come out of the game when he was chewing up yards.

Butch wasn't perfect.

A perspective that suggests Butch was a good game day coach is revisionist. If you take the 2000 season away from him, you have an astonishingly average coach. I was pro Butch early on, but the more I sifted through his results -- and wasn't beholden to his perception -- I found one exceptional season and a slew of mediocre ones. Even his time at UNC had one season that was ABOUT TO BE elite, but crashed and burned when the scandal broke. I know he had that roster stacked, but once again it wasn't a banner year.

The reality is that Butch gets credited for the ship and the results of the roster he filled, whether or not he deserves it fully. I personally don't find the Washigton loss to be that big of a deal, but he's the beneficiary of all the good that came after his tenure and none of the bad. Overall, it casts him in a light that's brighter than it should be.

No one of significance was knocking down his door after he was canned. He didn't do a thing to rehab his rep. He just sat on his hands and waited for ex players and nostalgic fans to cash in the glory days and get him the job at Miami again.

First real coach we've had in 15 years. I'm grateful he's here and hope he kills it over next five years, which I think he will.

You like to look at Richt's record against Florida, yet you ignore Butch's record against FSU and VT. Listen, I wanted Butch to come back as badly as anyone, but what did Butch do outside of Miami? You can't point fingers at Richt's record at Georgia and not point out Butch's record at UNC. What Butch did at UM was fantastic, and he would have been a fine hire. However, when Richt became available he was the RIGHT hire. He has complete control over the football program now. He's calling plays again. It's his alma mater. It's a match made in Heaven, and only a small handful of people think otherwise. I am happy to see what Richt will do at Miami. He was here when Miami became Miami. Enjoy the ride...QUOTE=Cold Beer;2572849]
There's no real reason to discuss MR at this point. Those things should have been done before he was hired. I did not support the hire because Mark richt proved over and over again that he was not capable of winning the big game.

I hope mark becomes a Savage coach. However, a Savage would not suspend Sam Bruce.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement

Like beating #3 LSU in the 2005 SEC championship game 34-14?

Like breaking in a true freshman quarterback (Matt Stafford) in 2006, and going into the final two regular season games 6-4 and Stafford had 12 interceptions and 4 TD's--then beating #5 Auburn at Auburn 37-15?

And then #16 Georgia Tech at home 15-12?

And then #14 Virginia Tech in the Chick-fil-A bowl 31-24?

[sarcasm] Yep, dude just can not win the big games. [/sarcasm]

How many SEC titles did Mark Richt win with the number one overall NFL draft pick playing quarterback for him?

At Georgia, Mark richt's best season was in 2002 and he got blasted by a sh*tty Florida team.

You like to look at Richt's record against Florida, yet you ignore Butch's record against FSU and VT. Listen, I wanted Butch to come back as badly as anyone, but what did Butch do outside of Miami? You can't point fingers at Richt's record at Georgia and not point out Butch's record at UNC. What Butch did at UM was fantastic, and he would have been a fine hire. However, when Richt became available he was the RIGHT hire. He has complete control over the football program now. He's calling plays again. It's his alma mater. It's a match made in Heaven, and only a small handful of people think otherwise. I am happy to see what Richt will do at Miami. He was here when Miami became Miami. Enjoy the ride...QUOTE=Cold Beer;2572849]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the loss of 33 scholarships played just a TINY role in that.

I like Mark, but he has to raise his game......significantly.

What was his excuse at UNC?

I like Mark, but he has to raise his game......significantly.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement
Why the closer we get to the season, the More negative posts we see pop up. It's ridiculous. Is it boredom, trolls or something else. Don't understand how someone can be negative at a time like this. I'm as excited about this season as I've been in a really long time. Obviously some others aren't.

How is this negative? Just asking. I didn't pay much attention to Georgia. Why would I?

Some good points were made about Richt in comparison to Saban, Miles, and Meyer. They all won more in the SEC in less time, but they all had elite defenses when they win Georgia has never been considered elite defensively though they have had some elite teams offensively. If Coach Diaz and the rest of our D staff can put together a stout defense we will win big very soon.

Maurice Clarett was a man and we got jobbed. Plain and simple.

Advertisement
Some good points were made about Richt in comparison to Saban, Miles, and Meyer. They all won more in the SEC in less time, but they all had elite defenses when they win Georgia has never been considered elite defensively though they have had some elite teams offensively. If Coach Diaz and the rest of our D staff can put together a stout defense we will win big very soon.

^^^^This

What was his excuse at UNC?

I like Mark, but he has to raise his game......significantly.
[/QUOTE]

Nah, his game got raised the minute his plane landed in Miami... It's a whole different ball game now. No satellite camps needed; just get them to the gables. He's coaching offense again? Paradise Camps? New game day experience? IPF?

:q3XKXeX:
It's gonna be like Halloween, just sit on the porch and pass out candy.

Uh, we would've beaten Georgia.

We demolished the Gators in the Swamp, and they lost to them at the ****tail Party.

[video=youtube;GAtv3_k1XpU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAtv3_k1XpU[/video]

we're gonna look like this again... "Miami Football"

Advertisement
Back