Mark Richt quote on defense

All ACC
Premium
From WQAM interview-

"We were able to play mostly a cover two type defense. Maybe not a true cover two but a two safety defense, and thats when Miami's defenses have been the greatest; when the front 7 can control the running game and can put pressure on the quarterback without having to blitz."

Staff has realized we have to let this d line eat and not be over reliant on the blitz. Great to have Miami dudes in here that get what Miami is about.

Advertisement
we have always been the best on defense when we could just use the front four to pressure and stop the run.

Every DC ever would like to run base 4-3-4 or nickel without bringing extra men. I love that we didn't give ND's useless QB lanes to throw into. At the end of the day, playing a single high or zero coverage to me creates opportunities for inept offenses. I do agree with pressuring good QB's with blitzes if you aren't getting home with te front 4.

I don't think that's exactly what we'll see against Clemson, but we're getting ahead of ourselves. Let's get in and out of UVA as quickly as possible.

Advertisement
I don't think that's exactly what we'll see against Clemson, but we're getting ahead of ourselves. Let's get in and out of UVA as quickly as possible.
Yep

UVA is left. Pitt is lifeless and they will be happy their season is over by the time we roll up there

UVA although out of the coastal can cause us problems and ruin our year

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

we have always been the best on defense when we could just use the front four to pressure and stop the run.

I would have to guess that you can say that about every defense ever.

Fuente said it after we beat Va Tech last week. The two worst things for a coach is when the defense plays man on the edge and you can't win the one on ones, or when they can play two deep and you can't run the ball.

When you can give up numbers against the run and still win, you have one **** of a defense.

Pretending we got ahead of ourselves, just for fun... What defense would you expect vs Clemson? They seem to have a somewhat similar dynamic on offense with a more than mobile QB and run first offense using zone reed/veer. Maybe some more threats out at receiver which I wouldn't mind 2 deep safeties against. I'm guessing a slugger like Etienne worries you?

Advertisement
Yep

UVA is left. Pitt is lifeless and they will be happy their season is over by the time we roll up there

UVA although out of the coastal can cause us problems and ruin our year

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Virginia and Pitt will look at our games with them as their Super Bowls. They would LOVE to be the team(s) to knock us off our perch. We cannot afford to let those teams hang around like we did with, say, North Carolina. They beat the Canes and they know they will be hailed as heroes all around the country.

Manny has learned a lot this season, gone from ill thought blitzes to well timed and efficient.

Advertisement
He’s talking about quarters/read 2. This makes me very happy.
2-read's what produced Coach Diaz's best results in previous stops. There are a handful of articles on it. Sure we'll talk more about it as Clemson draws nearer.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Really? I’m curious as to why not. Don’t think Bryant is a great passer and while he is very sound, don’t see the need the deviate from the 2 high look much - maybe a single high at times - but I’m no football nerd

Really? I’m curious as to why not. Don’t think Bryant is a great passer and while he is very sound, don’t see the need the deviate from the 2 high look much - maybe a single high at times - but I’m no football nerd
Because for what Clemson does and assuming their QB is healthy, I rather lessen the burden on Jaquan and Redwine needing plus range to fill. They're getting a lot of notoriety now, but I still think they have certain vulnerabilities relative to our Safeties last year. I'd hope we mix in some man underneath stuff and spy/man their QB. Put the onus on our DL and LB units instead of our current Safeties.

Manny has done an amazing job, that being said, I wonder if Richt threw in a suggestion to tone the blitzing down a notch? Not trying start anything bc I know someone is going to take offense to my question.

Advertisement
Back