Mark Pope

Michael Harley made it known that our WRs were doing the bare minimum until midway through the season. Our kids just don't want it, and our staff enables them. Broken culture.
But NO it’s not the players these are our children not my child.

Till we acknowledge we do have mindset issues that need purging also.

Ground hog day here will never end , till we break this chain of not my child pride infestations.

But nothing will be done just a little makeup quick fixes but really nothing fixed way to much pride

Advertisement
Michael Harley made it known that our WRs were doing the bare minimum until midway through the season. Our kids just don't want it, and our staff enables them. Broken culture.
Factual evaluation...

Devonta Smith is listed at 6’1 and 174 pounds and is projected to be a first round pick (per internet).
How do you reconcile that with what you wrote above?

6'1" 175 lbs is super light - there's no debating that.

It can happen - but you have to be a REALLY talented WR at that size to be good in the NFL. College is different - it's much easier to be good at that size.

Pope is good - he's just not the same level talent as Devonta Smith. So when your talent isn't as good, and your size is an added obstacle to overcome - it limits your ceiling. I think there's no question we've all seen Pope's size/lack of physicality be a problem at times.

It seems to me that after 3 years, if Pope could put on the weight, he would've already done it. His body type probably just is what it is. I don't see him putting on 15 lbs before next year. I'd say it's unlikely but not out of the question.

The fact his physique looks exactly the same as when he came in tells you all you need to know. He’s at 160-165 right now, don’t care what he’s listed as. He’s not a gym rat, never grew or built on his frame, he’s frail, and it shows on the field with the way he plays. He avoids contact like the plague and is very tentative in the open field. When a defender gets good leverage on him and wraps up, he gets ragdolled around.
Other guys hit the nail on the head, he’s a 7 on 7 guy. So no, he’s not 5-star material and never should’ve been, he’s a decent WR at the power 5 level, but he needs to be played in the slot, he’s not an outside guy, and playing him there exposes his weaknesses.

When did these subscription sites start using GPAs as a criteria to hand out stars? $h!t Jeff Thomas was a 5* and He barely went to school.
They ding guys who they don’t expect to qualify all the time. LSU recruiting guys will confirm that Jefferson miraculously made it in and was expected to go to Juco. The story has been told over and over at this point.

Advertisement
Except me...thats what stood out with him and Wiggins. They werent putting up the stats im use to with s.fla elites. I mean our elites can have a small amount of catches but then you would see their td receptions be high.

For example they would have 20 catches 400 yds 6-8 tds. Wiggins and Pope were pedestrian as **** their jr and sr years.
Brashard Smith, 35 catches 13 TDs...😈😈

It can happen - but you have to be a REALLY talented WR at that size to be good in the NFL. College is different - it's much easier to be good at that size.

Pope is good - he's just not the same level talent as Devonta Smith. So when your talent isn't as good, and your size is an added obstacle to overcome - it limits your ceiling. I think there's no question we've all seen Pope's size/lack of physicality be a problem at times.

It seems to me that after 3 years, if Pope could put on the weight, he would've already done it. His body type probably just is what it is. I don't see him putting on 15 lbs before next year. I'd say it's unlikely but not out of the question.
I’ve said it before … I think it’s Feeley’s training/culture. None of the kids look particularly trained for a P5 program. UNC on both sides of the ball looked better trained, physically. I would say the same about VT, and Pitt.

I don’t know his program so I can’t say what’s missing, exactly, but I know what work looks like and I’m not seeing it in the results. ****, the Combine should stop inviting kids from Miami because they’re only there for the free trip, gear and interviews … they don’t go to compete.

Yeah, I don't see Pope (even with Feeley) or Smith (with whoever it is at Alabama) putting on any meaningful weight.
FWIW, think it was 4 years ago that I met both Pope [then a HS junior] and Smith [then a high school senior] at the UNC - Miami game down here.
They were standing next to each other and looked to be the same size {Smith did have that twang though -- lol].
I was thinking if we could get Smith that year and Pope the next year, we'd have some serious talent at WR.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Oh

Attachments

• 9650EE40-4207-47A1-BFBF-6C9569178384.jpeg
    9650EE40-4207-47A1-BFBF-6C9569178384.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 68
Y’all rag on pope but don’t give Jeremiah payton a tenth of the criticism even though he’s been a MUCH bigger disappointment and was rated higher than pope actually. Y’all got some vendetta against this kid

payton doesn’t see the field and so shouldn’t Pope

These guys are USF level, and we keep rolling them out. No way the young kids have worse hands.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yea...I ain't trying hear none that soft shoulder bull****. His contract/agreement with UM is base on a singular attribute he possess. Catching the Ball. If catches the ball and provide YAC, great. If he provides YAC and TDs, even better. But catching the Ball is the bare minimum required of you.

Reminds me of this dude at my job who mess up on the same test in one week and another one week after.(For reference: I am one their better performers, I had 1 all year) They reprimanded him and put him on performance plan. He got ****ed, screaming "**** this place" etc. He took the week off use PTO. I ask him, So you mad because you messed up the test they hired you to do correctly, now you are using your hard earned vacation thumb you nose up at them??

He looked me dead into the windows of my soul with supreme confidence and said Yeah!! I look at dude and said you are hustling backwards, enjoy your week off.

Advertisement
Back