Mark Helfrich

Nah ill pass on the Mark Helfrich offense lol some of yall really are some good cheerleaders for any offense that's not ours.

I'd Rather see what Richt can really do with his offense now that he has the right type of QB to run it, im sure Helfrich is the one that needs some pointers on how a great cfb program is run.

Advertisement
Richt has a lot of insight on transitioning from OC to HC, so it was likely a two way conversation. Though I'm sure TH's job search came up.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Oregon had a solid offensive it was that Brady Choke defense that did him in

Just networking probably. Employed and unemployed coaches do this all the time

Advertisement
Dude was really good as an OC.

Remember reading partridge swinging by too.

Chip ran that offense. Helfrich is trash.

Wrong. Helfrich helped call/script plays, gameplan, and he coached quarterbacks. I'd say he was a pretty **** big part of the offense. A lot of good coordinators fail as head coaches.

He also got Manziel and Mariota to both commit to Oregon.

If him "helping in the offensive planning and strategy" and can help with the development if our 2nd and 3rd string QB's..what's the downside? If his input can make a difference of 7 pts a game...by last years standings..we would ve been a 11-12 win team!! I think its got possibilities!!

I would definitely take him especially with the elite athletes here just like Scott Frost at UCF its the dream scenario. Now I'm not sure he'd run that offense to a t because it hurts your defense when there are 3 and outs but I also think he and Richt together could be the final pieces to us being elite again

Advertisement

Wrong. Helfrich helped call/script plays, gameplan, and he coached quarterbacks. I'd say he was a pretty **** big part of the offense. A lot of good coordinators fail as head coaches.

Everyone knows Chip RAN the offense...it's HIS offense....clearly....**** Jon Richt helps script plays and gameplan...so does Thomas Brown...but they DO NOT call the plays.....Helfrich was simply an under study....when he took control you saw what happened to Oregon.....it's like saying Coker was good because he was an assistant under a good coach....it doesnt always translate to success....and I don't want that offense around my canes.....

Advertisement

Everyone knows Chip RAN the offense...it's HIS offense....clearly....**** Jon Richt helps script plays and gameplan...so does Thomas Brown...but they DO NOT call the plays.....Helfrich was simply an under study....when he took control you saw what happened to Oregon.....it's like saying Coker was good because he was an assistant under a good coach....it doesnt always translate to success....and I don't want that offense around my canes.....

You're simply wrong, man. Of course it was Chip's system and he called it most of the time, but Helfrich was a LOT more involved than Jon Richt or Thomas Brown is in ours and it's not even close. Also, what happened when Helfrich took over? Oregon was still top 10 in total offense in 2013 (#3 ), 2014 (#3 ), and 2015 (#8), before dropping to only #15 in the his last year. Those first two years of Helfrich being top 3 in total offense were actually higher than the last two years of Chip Kelly's tenure. Pretty much the same story for scoring offense with the exception of his final year where they had a bit more trouble putting points on the board: #3 (2013), #3 (2014), #6 (2015), #32 (2016).

So yeah, this little narrative you and smack99 are trying to push is just flat out wrong. Offense was not the problem. Only real question mark was the huge drop in scoring from '15 to '16, but even then they were still putting up 33.8 per game - which was still better than the team who just brought him in for consulting.

Last edited:
know its been said on here many times but these stories always remind me of how Larry Cucker allowed Tresel to hang out here in the offseason before molesting him in the fiesta bowl

Helfrich is the college equivalent of Joe Philbin, riding the coat tales of someone more succcessful, trying to recreate it on his own and then falling flat

Advertisement
Helfrich is the college equivalent of Joe Philbin, riding the coat tales of someone more succcessful, trying to recreate it on his own and then falling flat

You need to do some studying on this man.

Was successful way before his days at Oregon. Both Bellotti and Kelly sought him out to bring to Oregon.

People comparing Helfrich to Thomss or Jon shows the football iq around these parts.

Jesus

Richt needs an experienced offensive coach to help take the pressure off.

Richt Jr., Brown and Hartley have like 5 years combined experience as position coaches. Richt is spending more time teaching them how to coach than developing the gameplan.

Also, he is breaking in a brand new QB which is an additional load of work.

A guy like Helfrich or Lilly is a must as the 10th coach.

It is a bonus if the guy is a "great recruiter".

I just want whoever the 10th coach is to have that dog in him, and possibly even a little of that trench mentality.

Give me a guy with a high motor, good football IQ, like a coach down there on the field.

Advertisement
Back