Mark Fletcher commits to Miami and a discourse on the history of greatest NFL runnings backs

View as article
He's played 6 seasons. Lmfao.

Barring injury and with a usual Derrick Henry season next year...he's on pace to be the fastest player to 10,000 career yards, currently occupied by Jim Brown.

And in a completely different NFL landscape.
Yeah, his story isn’t fully written yet. That goes both ways though. I thought Edge was going to be a GOAT and then injuries derailed him.

Advertisement
I’ll admit, sometimes when thinking about GOATs I tend to overlook some new age guys, probably due to nostalgia.

However including something like HS stats is wayyy too incomparable. The talent levels are drastic. Heck even including college can sometimes be misleading.

Think about this, by the 3 levels measurement for QBs. You’d probably end up at like Steve McNair, or Vick, or a possibly manning brother. When Tom Brady’s the goat. Peyton is close for sure, but those others aren’t even on top ten lists. So you’re giving Henry’s lower level accomplishments too much credit versus his college and professional accomplishments.

Giving Henry credit for longest rush from scrimmage but not accounting for Bo being the only with two 90 plus in one season. The only one ever to do it. Bo is also the only one to make pro bowl and all star game in the same year. Barry Sanders shared the field in college with another top 10-15 back ever in Thurman Thomas. Who did Henry share it with? Including HS is just too far of a reach to make a point in my opinion.

Henry basically had one elite year in College. And it was a great year, but he didn’t even break 1000 the year prior. Physically he’s the Sean Taylor of RBs and in that manner is in a league of his own. But other than that, I just don’t see the goat stamp, not yet anyway.

Barring injury and with a usual Derrick Henry season next year...he's on pace to be the fastest player to 10,000 career yards, currently occupied by Jim Brown.

You’re right about the landscape, he almost never sees an 8 man box. Most defenses are based out of a 4-3 or nickel packages. There are zero 5-2 defenses that were literally designed to stuff running games.

His HS Competition in Yulee was a friggin joke....sh*t looked like the Little Rascals on Defense...please stop....

Every GOAT plays jobbers in High School. Because they are GOATs and high school has players like you and me playing there. "Competition" isn't a valid knock. They all play **** competition by comparison.

You’re right about the landscape, he almost never sees an 8 man box. Most defenses are based out of a 4-3 or nickel packages. There are zero 5-2 defenses that were literally designed to stuff running games.

Brother...you're wrong.

He's absurdly good against stacked boxes.

Advertisement
Im just glad nobody has put Emmitt Smith within a top 15-20 list. Lol imagine if **** near any all time RB had that offensive line...

In terms of individual season GOATness (w/ some smoll bias), im hard pressed to find a regular season more impressive that ADP being 8 yards away from breaking ****erson's rushing yards record.....with Christian ponder and Joe Webb at QB and less than a year removed from a torn ACL. He was so close to breaking off his final run against the packers to take it....got tripped up, but that man was running possessed.

I thought JJ Watt was going to challenge Reggie White as the GOAT DE and then everything got derailed by injuries. Early on it looked like Kobe was going to surpass Mike. It’s a tough climb to the top and you don’t know what can happen. Right now Aaron Donald is that dude but he may retire early…

Advertisement
Brother...you're wrong.

He's absurdly good against stacked boxes.
There are almost zero Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater types.

And that’s this year only, through 8 games, compared to other current RBs, in a league where it’s the highest pass % vs run plays. Again, it’s all relative to the game being played. Henry is a STUD no doubt. But Goat based on his current NFL career, he needs another 6-8 years like the first 6 and that’s unlikely given his size. But possible no doubt.

As others have said, his HS comp was meh, and he basically had a year for the ages and otherwise average college career. Again AP crushes his college resume and has a better NFL career as well, for now.

Bo Scarbarough
confused morning joe GIF by MSNBC

There are almost zero Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater types.

And that’s this year only, through 8 games, compared to other current RBs, in a league where it’s the highest pass % vs run plays. Again, it’s all relative to the game being played. Henry is a STUD no doubt. But Goat based on his current NFL career, he needs another 6-8 years like the first 6 and that’s unlikely given his size. But possible no doubt.

As others have said, his HS comp was meh, and he basically had a year for the ages and otherwise average college career. Again AP crushes his college resume and has a better NFL career as well, for now.
He did the same in 2021

...and 2020...

As for the second bold...this is the problem you and others are having...you are trying to reframe the narrative and discussion to support your opinion of him.

If you want to discuss GOAT running back per their performance in the NFL...we can go to the off-topic forum and discuss.
If you want to discuss GOAT running back per their performance in college...we can go to the off-topic forum and discuss.
If you want to discuss GOAT running back per their combine performance in the NFL AND college...we can go to the off-topic forum and discuss.

But this is about the GOAT when you include ALL LEVELS combined and it stemmed from how absurd it is to compare someone to Derrick Henry. If you're dismissing High School...we're not having the same conversation. If you're dismissing college...we're not having the same conversation. If you're just talking NFL, we're not having the same conversation.

When you look at the totality of a running back's HS, college, and pro career...the company Derrick Henry keeps is just other GOATs. That's just facts, not feelings or opinions. Literally NO ONE has done what he has done at all three levels. A class all his own.

This isn't an insult your way, but many in this 'Canes community fail to recognize contemporary greatness. Many of the jabrones in this community failed to realize LeBron's greatness until it was all but obvious. Tom Brady as well. When I was younger, I likely did the same with contemporary players...but older and wiser...I won't disrespect the game of current players.

Advertisement

Yes in one with less hitting and more rules to protect careers.

Advertisement
Imagine Henry behind and STA or IMG line in high school.

I’m a Sanders guy grew up watching him. I’ll argue him until the death with what he faced. Let’s talk about Henry in 5 years. RB’s bodies seem to break down overnight…and Alabama RB’s it feels even quicker. He’s 28…28-32 is when backs tend to fall off. But he has had a heck of a 4-5 year run even with the injury last year.

It’s what makes Gores career even more absurd. The work load, the injuries, etc.

He did the same in 2021

...and 2020...

As for the second bold...this is the problem you and others are having...you are trying to reframe the narrative and discussion to support your opinion of him.

If you want to discuss GOAT running back per their performance in the NFL...we can go to the off-topic forum and discuss.
If you want to discuss GOAT running back per their performance in college...we can go to the off-topic forum and discuss.
If you want to discuss GOAT running back per their combine performance in the NFL AND college...we can go to the off-topic forum and discuss.

But this is about the GOAT when you include ALL LEVELS combined and it stemmed from how absurd it is to compare someone to Derrick Henry. If you're dismissing High School...we're not having the same conversation. If you're dismissing college...we're not having the same conversation. If you're just talking NFL, we're not having the same conversation.

When you look at the totality of a running back's HS, college, and pro career...the company Derrick Henry keeps is just other GOATs. That's just facts, not feelings or opinions. Literally NO ONE has done what he has done at all three levels. A class all his own.

This isn't an insult your way, but many in this 'Canes community fail to recognize contemporary greatness. Many of the jabrones in this community failed to realize LeBron's greatness until it was all but obvious. Tom Brady as well. When I was younger, I likely did the same with contemporary players...but older and wiser...I won't disrespect the game of current players.
Let’s be honest, this whole conversation belongs in the off topic board. It started in a thread about Mark Fletcher. So, I mean if we’re getting technical….

Again, I’m saying. There are plenty that have accomplished what he has. He literally had one, albeit elite, plus year in college. Running behind the Dallas Cowboys OL with the 01 Ravens defense so they were always running clock. Again, he’s good. Might end up being great or even GOAT. But to call him that now is not accurate, hs accomplishments and all. Just my opinion.

And good Lord don’t get me started on Leflop! He’s the greatest alright, greatest cancer!

Tantrum??...Not at all...There's no argument whatsoever. Just insanity to say Henry is the Greatest RB ever....it's so ridiculous I honestly don't know where to begin.

Because you do not even understand the framing of the discussion. So, just remove yourself from the conversation instead of ranting ITS JUST INSANITY TO SAY HENRY IS THE GREATEST RB EVER!!!! You're not adding, refuting, anything. You're just posting through it.

Advertisement
Back