Mark-Antony Richards talks Opening, updates latest

Advertisement
He's been playing RB in the 7v7 circuit but he definitely wants to be on the offensive side of the ball - @Stefan Adams probably has a little more insight than I do. I'm fine with us recruiting him as a pure athlete (ala DJD), but if we hint that we'd like to try him out on the defensive side of the ball that could spell disaster for our chances. Wouldn't be surprised if Mullens is selling him on being a Percy Harvin.

If he wants to play offense, then you recruit him on offense. Some kids just want to have the ball in their hands and he may be one of them.

Kid seems to love attention which makes sense with him wanting to play offense.
You get a lot more glory on offense than you do Defense.
Kid wants to play offense. recruit him on offense.If we lose him by being stubburn then that’s on this staff.

When did the narrative start with MA Richards that we "wouldn't" let him play offense? Isn't it in the article that started this thread that CMR said he can play wherever he wants? I seem to remember MA Richards saying as much himself.

Advertisement
He's been playing RB in the 7v7 circuit but he definitely wants to be on the offensive side of the ball - @Stefan Adams probably has a little more insight than I do. I'm fine with us recruiting him as a pure athlete (ala DJD), but if we hint that we'd like to try him out on the defensive side of the ball that could spell disaster for our chances. Wouldn't be surprised if Mullens is selling him on being a Percy Harvin.

That's basically it. We'll take him at any position and just want him on the team, but prefer him on defense. He's said he prefers offense in the past.

Just did an update with him last week and he goes into a little more detail, which you can read here
https://www.canesinsight.com/news/.5344/

When did the narrative start with MA Richards that we "wouldn't" let him play offense? Isn't it in the article that started this thread that CMR said he can play wherever he wants? I seem to remember MA Richards saying as much himself.

I don't believe anyone here has flat out said we "wouldn't" let him play offense. The problem is our WR depth is off the charts and our depth at RB is sitting in a decent place as well and we're adding size to the position, not necessarily just athleticism. We tend to address issues like that with honesty by giving kids the truth while other programs lie about it and then use it as ammunition against us.

From Stefan's latest writeup:
“At this point, they’re just recruiting me as an athlete,” Richards said on Miami. “If I’m not mistaken, coach Richt told my coach that regardless of the position I play, they just want me to be a part of the program. I think he mentioned to my coach that they’d rather me on defense (as a safety), because they love me on defense.

I don't believe anyone here has flat out said we "wouldn't" let him play offense. The problem is our WR depth is off the charts and our depth at RB is sitting in a decent place as well and we're adding size to the position, not necessarily just athleticism. We tend to address issues like that with honesty by giving kids the truth while other programs lie about it and then use it as ammunition against us.

From Stefan's latest writeup:
“At this point, they’re just recruiting me as an athlete,” Richards said on Miami. “If I’m not mistaken, coach Richt told my coach that regardless of the position I play, they just want me to be a part of the program. I think he mentioned to my coach that they’d rather me on defense (as a safety), because they love me on defense.

Not sure i get the point of your bolded response. Everyone and their mother knows we want him on D, but the insinuation or narrative starting to develop is that we are recruiting him only for D and/or we aren't "telling him" what he wants to hear with regards to playing where he wants. Clear as day from the kids mouth we want him, doesn't matter where he will play, but the staff thinks he's a high end draft pick at Safety.

I remember a local kid in Canesville named Clinton Portis. He wanted to play RB at his local school. Problem for him was the local school saw him and only offered him as a safety. He ended up going to a rival state school and becoming one of the best RB's the school has seen. Lets not allow that to happen here now that roles are reversed.

Advertisement
That's the right approach to have with the kid, he can probably make money playing on defense, but get an athlete like this in jersey and figure it out after that.

I'll say this much, AU folks feel pretty good about this one. Apparently, Malzahn is on him personally. Selling him on how he'll use him in AU's offense.

Advertisement
We should take him as a WR.... He doesn’t have the same confidence on defense and most of it is because he doesn’t want to play it.

CMR needs to sell him on "we'll do whatever MAR wants"

MAR is just too talented to not have on the field or in our locker room.

I don't care if he's defense, offense, special teams, the girls' volleyball team! Let this kid eat. Honestly, I look at him and I see Charles Woodson or Hines Ward. A kid that can do it all and just commands every rep we can give him!

Advertisement
The only legitimate reason for MAR to go to Auburn over the U would be that he really wants to play offense but doesn’t think he can crack the starting lineup at the U...... everything else is bull****.....

Advertisement
Back