MarioBall

View as article
Advertisement
I disappeared from here a few weeks ago after GT game because I know Mario is not the answer it’s obvious in these 2 seasons…are we better (culture, toughness, talent) sure I guess but his offensive philosophy is insane and honestly we will average 8 wins with Mario..this program should’ve had a real coaching search but look at the past 5 hires..anyways I love the canes but I have adjusted my expectations and won’t let this ruin my Saturdays and not let this **** get to me and I recommend y’all boys do the same

I was very hard on Mario in year one. Even when he was hired I kept saying there was a narrative out there with offense.

I gave him a mulligan when he went outside the box with the Dawson hire. Now I’m starting to think this is just the bs he wants and it’s not changing. I’m legit concerned now.

Same. I applauded his efforts to correct course, but it’s starting to look and feel like how I imagine the captain of the Titanic when his deck hands came to him with reports of heavy ice off the starboard side.

Full Steam Ahead. Zero Fücks Given.

I feel like the serious CIS crew is the dàmn band on this ship.

Advertisement
We’re ****ed with Mario

The OC doesn’t matter. It’s clear that Mario wants to do what he does with everything else. Micromanage the offense to how he wants it to be

Which is be physical, play conservative and try to squeeze out wins (Big 10 boring)

It’s a disgrace to this program and the players

Last edited:
Miami went down 27-20 to Florida State. The game was hard fought, but from Miami's perspective, I can't help but be frustrated. I understand that the Hurricanes were short-handed given their quarterback situation, but I can't help but ask myself this one very important question.

Are we stuck with 'MarioBall'?

Where we try our best to be physical, run the ball, win the time of possession, and against any decent team score right around 20 points?

Once again, the effort -- especially defensively was for the most part very good -- but I can't help but to question the whole offensive approach as they made the decision to go with Emory Williams behind center.

After getting down 10-0, Miami, battled back. They even took an early 13-10 lead after the first possession for the second half after they recovered a surprise onside kick.

But here's what I wanted to focus on. Late in the first half, Miami was down 10-7 but deep in FSU territory. And from there, they proceeded to just run the ball into a wall of garnett-and-gold. There was nothing in terms of a bootleg, or a run-pass option for Williams. Just runs inside. Yeah, be physical. That's the name of the game, right?

Then in the first drive of the second half, after Mark Fletcher broke off a nice run. Once again, the 'Canes just decided to jam the ball inside, never mind that the 'Noles were making a huge commitment to stopping the run game (which after a series of big runs by Don Chaney in the first half, never really got going.)

That drive bogged down, and Miami was forced into a field goal attempt.

I get it, we had Williams at QB, but there comes a time when you have to give the guy you choose as your starter to at least loosen up the defense.

What had to be 14 potential points, was instead just 6, against a high powered offense that you knew was going to score a certain amount of points.

Yeah, Cristobal wants to be tough and hard-nosed, but will he ever be fast, fun and productive(on offense)? As you saw the Florida State offense, you saw one that was multi-faceted and got the ball into their playmakers hands. Miami's defense actually played well considering the lack of non-support they received for much of the second half.

The last drive was interesting to say the least. Miami actually ran a draw that went nowhere as time was winding down deep in their own territory. It was maddening to see offensive coordinator, Shannon Dawson, implore his offense to hurry up -- this after calling a draw with Fletcher, who's really a bit of a plodding muscle back.

Again, did we really need to run the ball at this stage in the game?

'MarioBall' baby, it's not just a game plan -- it's a lifestyle.

Eventually the drive ended with four Tyler Van Dyke incompletions, after he came in for an injured Williams, who suffered a bad looking arm injury in getting a first down. Hey, even quarterbacks in this offense under Cristobal have to be physical!!! (Young Emory went out a hero).

So yeah, there's two game left in this regular season which has turned very sour as the offense has gone south.

Just two more games to watch this offense, which is broken.

Does Cristobal even think that it needs to be fixed?

You can blame Mario for some things but I don’t know how he can be blamed for TVD for falling apart.

That FSU team is a top 3 team in the Nation with 4th, 5th and 6th portal mercenaries at every position and Miami stood toe to toe with them when Miami was missing multiple contributors at DL and CB and starting a true limited freshman at QB.

Get a good QB in the portal and keep developing the young guys and this will **** good team next year.

Advertisement
In no way do I believe he thinks he needs to make a change.
If Dawson goes it will be of his own choice..and I think he does. Mario is getting exactly what he wants and doing exactly what he believes...build the lines best you can and try to wear down 85% of your opponents...win 8 to 10 a year once you've built up your team IF you ever do.
The problem is that ain't happening in the ACC imo...BIG maybe...

Where exactly is Dawson going? He signed a 3 year contract. Is some school dumb to pay a million dollar + buyout to hire him?

Advertisement
Are we stuck with 'MarioBall'?

Where we try our best to be physical, run the ball, win the time of possession, and against any decent team score right around 20 points?

Yes.
There was nothing in terms of a bootleg, or a run-pass option for Williams. Just runs inside. Yeah, be physical. That's the name of the game, right?
Yup. You said it, MarioBall

Just two more games to watch this offense, which is broken.

Does Cristobal even think that it needs to be fixed?
Nope! It’s Guidry’s fault for letting the opposing team score more than 6 points. Why would fix you offense when you can just yell at your DC to be more fizicul!

In all seriousness though, thanks for the write up. I’m still too ****ed and see nothing but red. At this moment, I don’t ever see Mario adapting his play style. Mario did a great job getting us to start believing only to Scooby Doo pull the mask off and see he’s a Latin Jimbo Fischer.

Scooby Doo Hello GIF by Boomerang Official

Mario did not learn the most important thing from Saban. The need to adapt…
I was just talking about this with somebody today. He’s so stubborn for no good reason.

He will retired a .500 coach because of FIU primarily but more so, he inability to pull his head out of his *** and adapt to the modern game…

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back