MarioBall

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami went down 27-20 to Florida State. The game was hard fought, but from Miami's perspective, I can't help but be frustrated. I understand that the Hurricanes were short-handed given their quarterback situation, but I can't help but ask myself this one very important question.

Are we stuck with 'MarioBall'?

Where we try our best to be physical, run the ball, win the time of possession, and against any decent team score right around 20 points?

Once again, the effort -- especially defensively was for the most part very good -- but I can't help but to question the whole offensive approach as they made the decision to go with Emory Williams behind center.

After getting down 10-0, Miami, battled back. They even took an early 13-10 lead after the first possession for the second half after they recovered a surprise onside kick.

But here's what I wanted to focus on. Late in the first half, Miami was down 10-7 but deep in FSU territory. And from there, they proceeded to just run the ball into a wall of garnett-and-gold. There was nothing in terms of a bootleg, or a run-pass option for Williams. Just runs inside. Yeah, be physical. That's the name of the game, right?

Then in the first drive of the second half, after Mark Fletcher broke off a nice run. Once again, the 'Canes just decided to jam the ball inside, never mind that the 'Noles were making a huge commitment to stopping the run game (which after a series of big runs by Don Chaney in the first half, never really got going.)

That drive bogged down, and Miami was forced into a field goal attempt.

I get it, we had Williams at QB, but there comes a time when you have to give the guy you choose as your starter to at least loosen up the defense.

What had to be 14 potential points, was instead just 6, against a high powered offense that you knew was going to score a certain amount of points.

Yeah, Cristobal wants to be tough and hard-nosed, but will he ever be fast, fun and productive(on offense)? As you saw the Florida State offense, you saw one that was multi-faceted and got the ball into their playmakers hands. Miami's defense actually played well considering the lack of non-support they received for much of the second half.

The last drive was interesting to say the least. Miami actually ran a draw that went nowhere as time was winding down deep in their own territory. It was maddening to see offensive coordinator, Shannon Dawson, implore his offense to hurry up -- this after calling a draw with Fletcher, who's really a bit of a plodding muscle back.

Again, did we really need to run the ball at this stage in the game?

'MarioBall' baby, it's not just a game plan -- it's a lifestyle.

Eventually the drive ended with four Tyler Van Dyke incompletions, after he came in for an injured Williams, who suffered a bad looking arm injury in getting a first down. Hey, even quarterbacks in this offense under Cristobal have to be physical!!! (Young Emory went out a hero).

So yeah, there's two game left in this regular season which has turned very sour as the offense has gone south.

Just two more games to watch this offense, which is broken.

Does Cristobal even think that it needs to be fixed?
We were doing the same thing the 1st 4 games also; just with mire success.

Advertisement
I want a stat on our runs up the middle on third and 1-2’s the last month . While teams are selling out up the middle. I bet DC’s are in awe how stupid we are lol.
Not only that but we don't even do it fast to catch them off guard. We run the play clock down to 10 seconds and then run a slow developing play up the middle that they know is coming and can time.

I’m not confident in Mario’s really to recruit a stud high school quarterback or sign a top portal quarterback. His reputation proceeds him. I mean, he replaced Justin Herbert, who he didn’t recruit, with a retread from Boston College.

I’m not ready to write off Emory Williams. 19 years old and has started two games as a true freshman, two of Miami’s three toughest games. He’s also handicapped by playcalling and the skill players around him. Is he an elite talent? No. But he’s definitely a player I’d want back next season to compete for the starting job. Tonight’s injury is late in the year so we’ll have to find out if it limits him in spring ball or not.

I don't think TVD did as badly as you imply. He made a couple of beautiful passes to Young, who Emory couldn't hit all night. The playcalling stinks. Frances had 3 calls for moving early tonight. They came at backbreaking times.
And then the run down the middle call. Brutal.
I sincerely believe they were poorly thrown balls that Young made adjustments on. "Back shoulder passes" LOL!

Advertisement
Mario doesnt think its broken. I know all I need to know about him when he comes from Oregon, brings some benchwarming Olinemen with him but doesnt want to bring Benson.. Guy is goofy af.. We are stuck in purgatory..
Assuming no major changes we need to have a QB room full of running QBs because a Canes team that wins the line of scrimmage in most of its games should be at a higher winning % than this, Auburn made a **** title game with a QB that couldn't throw.

Running QB that converts 3rd/4th and short at a high rate has us at 2 more wins minimum.

TrumpyCane thinks the only hope is Mario does a massive amounts of shrooms or acid and has an epiphany
viceland GIF by Kentucky Ayahuasca

Ayahuasca?

Advertisement
Miami went down 27-20 to Florida State. The game was hard fought, but from Miami's perspective, I can't help but be frustrated. I understand that the Hurricanes were short-handed given their quarterback situation, but I can't help but ask myself this one very important question.

Are we stuck with 'MarioBall'?

Where we try our best to be physical, run the ball, win the time of possession, and against any decent team score right around 20 points?

Once again, the effort -- especially defensively was for the most part very good -- but I can't help but to question the whole offensive approach as they made the decision to go with Emory Williams behind center.

After getting down 10-0, Miami, battled back. They even took an early 13-10 lead after the first possession for the second half after they recovered a surprise onside kick.

But here's what I wanted to focus on. Late in the first half, Miami was down 10-7 but deep in FSU territory. And from there, they proceeded to just run the ball into a wall of garnett-and-gold. There was nothing in terms of a bootleg, or a run-pass option for Williams. Just runs inside. Yeah, be physical. That's the name of the game, right?

Then in the first drive of the second half, after Mark Fletcher broke off a nice run. Once again, the 'Canes just decided to jam the ball inside, never mind that the 'Noles were making a huge commitment to stopping the run game (which after a series of big runs by Don Chaney in the first half, never really got going.)

That drive bogged down, and Miami was forced into a field goal attempt.

I get it, we had Williams at QB, but there comes a time when you have to give the guy you choose as your starter to at least loosen up the defense.

What had to be 14 potential points, was instead just 6, against a high powered offense that you knew was going to score a certain amount of points.

Yeah, Cristobal wants to be tough and hard-nosed, but will he ever be fast, fun and productive(on offense)? As you saw the Florida State offense, you saw one that was multi-faceted and got the ball into their playmakers hands. Miami's defense actually played well considering the lack of non-support they received for much of the second half.

The last drive was interesting to say the least. Miami actually ran a draw that went nowhere as time was winding down deep in their own territory. It was maddening to see offensive coordinator, Shannon Dawson, implore his offense to hurry up -- this after calling a draw with Fletcher, who's really a bit of a plodding muscle back.

Again, did we really need to run the ball at this stage in the game?

'MarioBall' baby, it's not just a game plan -- it's a lifestyle.

Eventually the drive ended with four Tyler Van Dyke incompletions, after he came in for an injured Williams, who suffered a bad looking arm injury in getting a first down. Hey, even quarterbacks in this offense under Cristobal have to be physical!!! (Young Emory went out a hero).

So yeah, there's two game left in this regular season which has turned very sour as the offense has gone south.

Just two more games to watch this offense, which is broken.

Does Cristobal even think that it needs to be fixed?
Herman Munsterbal thinks everything's just fine....

We’re ****ed with Mario

The OC doesn’t matter. It’s clear that Mario wants to do what he does with everything else. Micromanage the offense to how he wants it to be

Which is be physical, play conservative and try to squeeze out wins

It’s a disgrace to this program and the players
That mesh formations makes it harder on QBs

I was just talking about this with somebody today. He’s so stubborn for no good reason.

He will retired a .500 coach because of FIU primarily but more so, he inability to pull his head out of his *** and adapt to the modern game…
why would it be fiu primarily he is about to be under .500 here as a coach in two years. He aint actually trending up

Advertisement
Back