Mario versus his predecessors

I'll say this, the last four coaches had significantly more exciting introductory press conferences. Much better public speakers. I'm quite optimistic because Mario wasn't that way. I'm tired of used car salesman
Lmao, no

Advertisement
Shannon had the #1 class in some services because we signed 32 kids. A lot those kids never showed or were out within 2 years. It was a quantity rating. Shannon had Patrick Nix and Tim Walton as coordinators. My two dogs would perform better than Nix and Walton. Cristobal will hire top line coordinators. Take it to the bank. He certainly has the coin to do it.
Shannon had alot of players but he had quality as well. It was bad development and coaching that did that along with now we see the Admin not putting proper resources into football.

If I recall correctly that 2008 class had 8 WRs and 5 LBs. So it didn’t fill needs across a variety of positions which also contributed to the team underachieving the #1 class ranking.
Yes, that was a direct result of Larry Coker’s recruiting failures. In the 2006 season we had only 6 scholarship wide receivers, and only 3 healthy ones by mid season. Only 2 I believe were still on roster going into 2008, and Shannon had to oversign to basically bring that position’s numbers up to normal. I don’t blame him for that, but it also set up the scenario where he wouldn’t be able to recruit wide receivers himself in latter classes.

Advertisement
If you listen to the high school coaches for years how they complain that Miami has no presence with them and i think alot of us took it as the HC being negligent but with the changes we made i realize its lack of resources. Outa state schools have hired bag men who live down here. Unofficial members of their recruiting staff who recruit specific areas and sell their program. We must do nothing less and even more. Recruits we want thats in south florida should not hear about the opps more than they hear about us.

I think the first year we go
9-3 and build up from there. I do think we can win one with Mario but let’s see how it plays out.
This is going to be a revenge tour of sorts. Florida State will get its just rewards, and they will get to see Skinner in person. Then North Carolina…it’s time to put an end to any momentum that annoying program has. And then finally Clemson. There is a certain trick play where the offensive line does not move…that play must be run at least once.

If you listen to the high school coaches for years how they complain that Miami has no presence with them and i think alot of us took it as the HC being negligent but with the changes we made i realize its lack of resources. Outa state schools have hired bag men who live down here. Unofficial members of their recruiting staff who recruit specific areas and sell their program. We must do nothing less and even more. Recruits we want thats in south florida should not hear about the opps more than they hear about us.
Ding ding ding

Sorry fellas, but if Mario thinks Miami / Dade is the answer like most of the fan base (and if he does he hasn't been paying attention to Canes recruiting) he will end-up another nickname.

The rest of those guys were inexperienced and lazy. "Why drive 3 hours across the state when I can do an hour in traffic and go home?" Mario knows you have to recruit the entire state and nation. You guys go on about Miami/Dade DB's. Arguably the best DB to ever play the game came from Fl, but not Miami, he was from Ft Myers.

Yet the Canes seldom show up on the West Coast unless someone is Top 10. And I've aways said, you pay in Miami you get an extra star, then the same caliber athlete elsewhere in the state. The previous coaches thought they had all the fish in the barrel at their feet. Clemson and Bama (and other ACC teams) out recruited them because of limeight, but still maintained a very active presence recruiting SW Fl, Suncoast and North Fl. It sure would have been nice to have a Sammy Watkins or that beast OT for Bama, from Okechobee.

Advertisement
Randy Shannon had the #1 recruiting class in 2008 and flipped Marve from Alabama the previous year. Let's hope Cristobal turns out to be a better gameday coach.
Radio was also a first timer trying to learn on job. For once we hired someone whose actually done shown he can do the job at this level!
I’m in on Mario

While I agree, his speech wasn't the greatest, it was prolly the most genuine speech we've had in a while!
(Many of) These kids, they've been raised by the streets, they see right through the BS,..Mario's speech was real! Most of the kids can see Genuine, as well as BS!
I'm just trying to wait till bowls are done, to see how the last couple o le pieces of staff fall into place

It's 99% this that will make the difference. This is also the reason Mario and Dan are at UM now. The commitment of $$$ and the improvements in personnel can't be separated. If Mario had been hired in 2016 he would have eventually washed out at Miami. None of this would be happening like it is now
Mario has recruited elite talent in 2 weeks because he’s an elite recruiter, not because of money. If he was hired in 2016 and given the same resources Richt was, he’d be doing just fine now.

While I agree, his speech wasn't the greatest, it was prolly the most genuine speech we've had in a while!
(Many of) These kids, they've been raised by the streets, they see right through the BS,..Mario's speech was real! Most of the kids can see Genuine, as well as BS!
I'm just trying to wait till bowls are done, to see how the last couple o le pieces of staff fall into place
Whose speech wasn’t the greatest?

Advertisement
Mario may not be the best on game day or in game planning, but he has the chance to build a team that is so talented we will overwhelm most opponents. I also believe he will hire top notch assistants while also improving himself.
The HC isn’t the one who should be doing all the game planning.

Whose speech wasn’t the greatest?
From a "speech" aspect,..it didn't sound "rehersed"..it wasn't a "smooth", or "flowing" speech (as most great speeches seem to be).
It was, at times, broken (as he looked for the right words, or collect his emotion), it was clearly emotional, which (I feel) led to some of those moments.
There was (it seemed) a level of excitement there as well, which, although may have lent to the scattered thoughts, was as real as it gets.
His "presence" ..his demeanor,.. the power, in his emotion,..his speech itself, wasn't perfect,..but, his homecoming may very well be!!

Advertisement
Do not overlook budget. Richt had a monster budget and sleepwalked through 9 and 10 win seasons at UGA. He landed major talent even in his later years feeling the earliest effects of Parkinson’s before losing his job in Athens. He came down to his old college and struggled to form a staff and had to donate his own money to inspire others to help fund the IPF.
Mario comes with a new budget and a promise that things will be different. Dan Rad and $20M are going to change the face of the program.
Maybe I'm just sensitive towards coach richt and defensive but it sounded like you were tearing down cmr in order to build up Mario. If I'm wrong I apologize. If not it's simply not necessary. Without cmr NONE OF THIS IS POSSIBLE... People don't realize just how much he really did for this program and he didn't struggle at all to put together a staff. He actually had a **** of a staff. His problems began and virtually ended with his health and nepotism. Regardless he is an amazing man and deserves any real cane fans utmost respect...

Maybe I'm just sensitive towards coach richt and defensive but it sounded like you were tearing down cmr in order to build up Mario. If I'm wrong I apologize. If not it's simply not necessary. Without cmr NONE OF THIS IS POSSIBLE... People don't realize just how much he really did for this program and he didn't struggle at all to put together a staff. He actually had a **** of a staff. His problems began and virtually ended with his health and nepotism. Regardless he is an amazing man and deserves any real cane fans utmost respect...
Keep in mind, I am addressing CIS. In the past, just making the apples to apples comparison of UGA vs Miami would have people pointing to health problems and nepotism. My point was budget, plain and simple. I am one of Richt’s biggest fans. Met him in person. His history teacher taught me computers in high school. I learned this from just a couple of minutes with the man.

Again, the point is, a budget can make or break a coach’s success and the fact that Richt’s floor at Miami was lower than UGA’s tells you how much a budget matters.

The biggest issue we’ve had over the years is not the level of recruits we’ve brought in, it’s their lack of development once they got here. UM is still well represented in the NFL despite all the bad coaches. **** a ton of guys Golden brought in made rosters.

The coaching has been so bad here. Just take a look at all the coaches and coordinators and what’s happened to them after they failed at Miami. Other than Shannon and Whipple, most have barely been heard from since.

Randy Shannon had the #1 recruiting class in 2008 and flipped Marve from Alabama the previous year. Let's hope Cristobal turns out to be a better gameday coach.
Randy had a lot of star power in that class, but he sucked at recruiting by position, need and filling holes. I think he had something like eight wide receivers in that class

Also brought in 32 kids and then some didn’t even make it—Arthur Brown, Brandon Marti, etc.—while 5-Stars like Brandon Harris and Marcus Forston didn’t pan out.

Marve was 2007 class—Jacory U-Swag Haircut was in 2008 with all 37 kids from Northwestern.

That was one or the biggest smoke and mirrors #1 class of all time; on paper stars, with a lot or head cases and underachievers—Jordan Futch, Ben Jones, Vaughan Telemaque, Jeremy Lewis all 4-Stars? Total joke.

Advertisement
Back