Coaching Mario talking about the DC hiring process...

Thanks for posting OP. Interesting insight into how thorough Mario is when making a coaching hire. He flat out said "We don't hire friends" which is something many here have complained about with prior coaching staffs. I now understand why these coordinator hires are "delayed" and I feel confident Mario is going to make a well informed decision that's best for the program.

Advertisement
I would think one of the harder parts of hiring a coordinator is the hiring coach wouldn’t 100% know the personal/ injury situation of the film he’s looking at. The best coaches sometimes have to adjust the scheme based on what’s on the field. The answer simply could be “our corner’s don’t cover man to man well so we had to run this coverage vs that.” Point being him sitting and watching film for a Q&A is inspiring

Does it really matter, fact of it is Arroyo was in charge of his offense.

yeah it ******* does matter.

Do you know if he was forced to keep Arroyo? You think Mario would have turned down the Oregon job if they said you have to keep him? **** no. Mario didnt have the leverage he has know.

When Mario got the Oregon job it was a surprise, many Oregon fans and boosters wanted to bring Chris Peterson or Chip Kelly back “home”.

Mario‘s only HC experience at that time was his run at FIU. You think that Oregon people were elated to hire the guy fired at FIU? No

Advertisement
yeah it ******* does matter.

Do you know if he was forced to keep Arroyo? You think Mario would have turned down the Oregon job if they said you have to keep him? **** no. Mario didnt have the leverage he has know.

When Mario got the Oregon job it was a surprise, many Oregon fans and boosters wanted to bring Chris Peterson or Chip Kelly back “home”.

Mario‘s only HC experience at that time was his run at FIU. You think that Oregon people were elated to hire the guy fired at FIU? No

Gotta love this take. Mario was forced to keep Arroyo. They really loved that guy at Oregon!

Look, it shouldn't make your skin crawl hearing criticism of your coach. Everyone here should agree he needs to do a better job choosing his coordinators. If it takes a few more weeks and doesn't cost us recruits so be it.

Gotta love this take. Mario was forced to keep Arroyo. They really loved that guy at Oregon!

Look, it shouldn't make your skin crawl hearing criticism of your coach. Everyone here should agree he needs to do a better job choosing his coordinators. If it takes a few more weeks and doesn't cost us recruits so be it.

I never said he was forced. I said we don’t know if he was or not. I do know that Arroyo was given a multi year deal to leave Oklahoma St to go Oregon. I know that because Arroyo is a Sacramento native and HS legend here. The Sac Bee has followed and reported on his career ad nausem.

Another thing is that Oregon didn’t buyout any of Willies assistants that didn’t follow him to Oregon. That includes Jim Leavitt. So yeah it sounds like he maybe he didn’t have a choice.

Advertisement
I felt a lot better about things after listening to that clip. I know everyone, including myself, wants a decision now, but we have a guy in charge that wants to make the right choice, not the quick choice.

I never said he was forced. I said we don’t know if he was or not. I do know that Arroyo was given a multi year deal to leave Oklahoma St to go Oregon. I know that because Arroyo is a Sacramento native and HS legend here. The Sac Bee has followed and reported on his career ad nausem.

Another thing is that Oregon didn’t buyout any of Willies assistants that didn’t follow him to Oregon. That includes Jim Leavitt. So yeah it sounds like he maybe he didn’t have a choice.

Nike University has the $ to buy out Arroyo. If your head coach wants a different OC you're going to tell him too bad we have this guy locked up?

Sounds like gymnastics to absolve Mario from one of his biggest criticisms at Oregon. I actually think Mario learned from that and i'm confident this go around.

The guy seems to be pragmatic and cerebral in his approach to hiring his top assistants. I laugh at what I read here sometime about posters' choices and how quick they jump to conclusion when names come up as possible candidates. Sorry friends, I don't care how much football you watch and how football smart you are. Nobody here can claim they breath, eat and sleep football like Mario Cristobal and nobody's career and reputation dependent on the choices he makes but him.

God what a far cry from the kind of hiring processes we’ve been used to over the past several years. This is precisely the right way to do it if you want to get the right hire the first time around.

Meticulousness is great, that kind of quality is just one of the many things that separates the good coaches from the great coaches imo. Breath of fresh air!
Nah he should just name someone, anyone, so we don't lose 1 or 2 recruits. That's what's must important.

Advertisement
Great interview. Very telling the in-depth nature of his hiring process. I’m hopeful he will find the right complimentary coordinators to lead Miami into a new age of glory for our school. It’s been so long that we’ve been any resemblance of a championship level team that there’s impatience from the fan base to get through the process and have them hired yesterday. I think Mario has a very great idea of what he wants in an overall coaching staff and will be most interested in what he’s learned since FIU, Bama, and Oregon that will help him shape who’s going to be leading our young men on the football field come the Fall.

Says the guy with the Tate Martell avatar?

Mario doesn't do any talking—outside of saying there's a lot of work to do and it's time to get to work.

Says it's not about tweets, social media, swag and chatter about being "back"—it's about emulating proven processes and then busting *** to be great again.

How is that talking a "big game".
I’m not a Mario hater at all I really want him to succeed. By “talking a big game” I mean talking Miami into giving him 8 million a year and being perceived as a top 10 coach.

His track record as a head coach is above average but nothing great. I hope he can be great and think he can. But he hasn’t proved that yet.

Advertisement
so are you saying he can't since those 2 pac titles didn't even get them in the playoffs.....
1642206127170.gif

He talks he talk & walks the walk. 2 top 10 classes last 3 cycles as well. He will have us playing for hardware. It will take some time, hopefully not as long with free agency via the portal. Our fans will have pitchforks & torches out if he doesn’t get to the playoffs next season probably though. He knows what its supposed to look like at the highest level & was well on his way to building a factory out west. I hope he has success & the OL mauls for the next 2 decades.

False information
Oh he is a big talker ; and I’m buying in. But let’s see after he loses the mandatory Miami 3 next season how this cesspool looks…lol

Advertisement
Back