Coaching Mario speaks on Joe Rose

Advertisement
A man that speaks facts, your talent is evaluated by the NFL draft who would of thought? Something I been screaming about, thats why I like this guy. The draft tells u if u have talent nothing else. Not people on a message board or a 247 rank, in the end thats the indicator.

Yes and no.

Yes, quality talent does get drafted.

No, not all quality or even great college talent gets drafted.

There's plenty of quality college players that aren't strong enough, bug enough, or fast enough to get drafted.

We need more talent, yes. We don't need more talent to be competitive in games we lost, got blown out in, or shouldn't have lost. Some of those very teams beat us like a drum, but you wouldn't know it come draft day.

1000000%. I hate how blames everything on 2022 except him

5 yrs is 2018 - 2022, champ. He’s referring to draft picks/talent.

Just looking at the past 5 yrs:
-20 draft picks (3 players drafted in first 3 rounds)

Compared that to

2013-17:

-23 draft picks (8 players drafted in first 3 rounds)

2008-12:
-22 draft picks (11 players drafted in first 3 rounds)

2003-07:
-35 draft picks (24 players drafted in first 3 rounds)

Results to verify?

2018-22 (33-28 or .540 win%)

2013-17 (42-23 or .646 win%)

2008-12 (36-27 or .571 win%)

2003-07 (41-21 or .661 win%)

The NFL will give u hard evidence of how good ur teams are, often. It’s not 100% accurate, especially when it comes to lower tiered programs who have great coaches & schemes to overcome lack of talent, but on the P5 level, it’s a great gauge.

Last edited:
why would Mario choose to go on the air today?

Make up for that one he skipped….

I kid I kid.

I like listening to him more often than not. I hope he gets this right. I do look forward to the day there is no past or previous regimes to “blame”. We shall see.

O
Yes and no.

Yes, quality talent does get drafted.

No, not all quality or even great college talent gets drafted.

There's plenty of quality college players that aren't strong enough, bug enough, or fast enough to get drafted.

We need more talent, yes. We don't need more talent to be competitive in games we lost, got blown out in, or shouldn't have lost. Some of those very teams beat us like a drum, but you wouldn't know it come draft day.
I'll disagree I respect your opinion but we weren't talented last year. We aren't even that talented this year it's all youth. Can we won 8-9 games yea it gotta bounce our way, but can we lose 4-6 yea that can happen. We had coaches that "knew" what they were doing before the season, but people ain't realized them boys came from schools with talent real talent throughout there careers. They built up their resumes through squads with talent. Steele was vanilla and basic it got him a job at bama which he will look 500 times better.

Does talent get hidden in the draft? Yea
But a common thing is we don't develop and that's cap. Cause we have proof guys go to the league get different NFL coaching and stay where they were here which is basic. They go to all types of coaches even legendary coaches and stay the same. That's the proof that's all I need. If our guys were taken in the 5th round by the boatload and become pro bowlers than I will agree.

Also I'm not defending schemes the O scheme was horrendous but at the same time we ain't have wr or a true game changing back or an OL. Mario ain't forget how to coach OL he knows how. He didn't have the players period. My issue was with the trail with Manny I was off board the day he was hired cause he can't recruit. Mario it's different he can. We haven't had a good recruiter since ***** I don't care for class rank cause that reveals itself years later.

Advertisement
There were a lot of assumptions about Mario based solely on past performance and experience at other schools. None of us really knew much about Mario other than his time as a player at Miami - which was somewhat underwhelming - and his previous coaching stops.

We’ve all gotten to know his public persona much better these last 16 months or so and he seems to be a really straight shooter and not so dead set on certain offensive philosophies. He does seem to believe in running the ball as the main staple but understands the changing dynamics of modern CFB offenses.

Tactfully, he admits last year was a disaster. He didn’t hesitate to make changes and looked outside the box in hiring the new coordinations. He told us from the get go there was a lot of work to do. He probably didn’t realize just how much until he was able to dig deep into the program.

No one will out work Mario. His love for Miami will motivate him to do everything necessary to return his alma mater to prominence. Time will tell if he’ll successful or not but I think we can be encouraged by what he’s done so far.

I agree on the admission of failure and willingness to evolve.

However, an element of that quote is also what scared and continues to scare a lot of us re: his perspective. While relying on prior experiences is often helpful, you needed to actually see and experience the worst offense in our lifetime to come to the conclusion that some things that worked for you at Oregon and Alabama might not have worked last season?

Let's hope Mario and crew really learned their lessons and that, going forward, we don't have to knock ourselves out head first into the wall to spark adjustments.
Also, Mario clearly pointed at the UGA and Bama style offense not working bc of roster transition. So when he gets his players, we can expect him to to back to that idea he has of those offenses.

Bama just hired Reese and UGA Mike Bobo. Both OCs that this board hates.

That is a bit concerning to me in the future. I can only hope he changes his mind by having success with Dawson, or that our talent level is so high that we can do what we want like Bama and uga.

Tell Lebron James GIF

Advertisement
There were a lot of assumptions about Mario based solely on past performance and experience at other schools. None of us really knew much about Mario other than his time as a player at Miami - which was somewhat underwhelming - and his previous coaching stops.

We’ve all gotten to know his public persona much better these last 16 months or so and he seems to be a really straight shooter and not so dead set on certain offensive philosophies. He does seem to believe in running the ball as the main staple but understands the changing dynamics of modern CFB offenses.

Tactfully, he admits last year was a disaster. He didn’t hesitate to make changes and looked outside the box in hiring the new coordinations. He told us from the get go there was a lot of work to do. He probably didn’t realize just how much until he was able to dig deep into the program.

No one will out work Mario. His love for Miami will motivate him to do everything necessary to return his alma mater to prominence. Time will tell if he’ll successful or not but I think we can be encouraged by what he’s done so far.
He told us from jump although it was t straight forward. He said it in nicer words in the first off season that the roster was cheeks. He couldn't say that straight up but he indicated as nice as he could. We (some of us not blind) knew the roster was str8 asz like it was beyond bad and it got worse the longer MD was here. MR and those dudes inherited a decent roster, it got worse and worse by misses and bad evals. And that was all she wrote

Tcu just went to the championship. How many first and 2nd rounders do they have?

Wake forest finished top 10 two seasons ago. How many 1st and 2nd rounders they have?

View attachment 231294
Michigan choked and TCU will never be heard from again. We not aiming for TCU we aiming for power consistently not some one year wonders. They will be back to normal real soon

Advertisement
Michigan choked and TCU will never be heard from again. We not aiming for TCU we aiming for power consistently not some one year wonders. They will be back to normal real soon
Thats probably true.

if mario is trying to use the uga and bama model in Miami he will fail miserably.

Miami wins when they are innovative.

He told us from jump although it was t straight forward. He said it in nicer words in the first off season that the roster was cheeks. He couldn't say that straight up but he indicated as nice as he could. We (some of us not blind) knew the roster was str8 asz like it was beyond bad and it got worse the longer MD was here. MR and those dudes inherited a decent roster, it got worse and worse by misses and bad evals. And that was all she wrote
No doubt he couldn’t come right out and say the roster was cheeks but gave us hints about all the holes in it. All the transfers out is an indication of that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back