Mario - PT Marketing Genius

Advertisement
Mario made the right choice in not trusting TVD. We were deep in our own side of the field and they had two time outs and regardless of what we all feel like… Mario is right and we are built for OT

If we get any team in the country to OT we stand a solid shot
And ran the ball in ot. Give him credit for that

Advertisement
2 weeks in a row elects to go for OT giving us fans the benefit of free football!!!

I still say it's wrong, but hey, he's 2-0 doing it so what the **** do I know?
At first thought I agree with you. But then I thought about it this way...

We had the ball on their 25 with only enough time for maybe 3-4 plays to drive down the field to get into field goal range with a QB who has already thrown 2 (should have been 3) very costly picks. That same QB despite having 5-8 seconds in a clean pocket is seeing ghosts, playing scared, and making poor decisions.

Knowing that, do you trust that same QB to

A.) suddenly become clutch? If you don't do you take the risk with the RB possibly fumbling? If he throws a pick or there is a fumble, there is enough time for Virginia (who still had 2 timeouts) to kick a field goal and end the game. And if they do there is no way (outside of a Duke lateral miracle) to get the ball back anywhere within scoring range.

Or

B.) Do you take the free 50 yards, guaranteed start in your red zone at your own 25, and trust your oline and RBs to get those 25 yards or at worst already be in field goal range?

The choice seems obvious based on the data we have. Oh and by the way I am in no way excusing Mario's game day coRching but in this instance he made the right choice to go to OT... again 🤦‍♂️

We had the ball on their 25 with only enough time for maybe 3-4 plays to drive down the field to get into field goal range with a QB who has already thrown 2 (should have been 3) very costly picks. That same QB despite having 5-8 seconds in a clean pocket is seeing ghosts, playing scared, and making poor decisions.

A.) suddenly become clutch? If you don't do you take the risk with the RB possibly fumbling? If he throws a pick or there is a fumble, there is enough time for Virginia (who still had 2 timeouts) to kick a field goal and end the game. And if they do there is no way (outside of a Duke lateral miracle) to get the ball back anywhere within scoring range.

Or

B.) Do you take the free 50 yards, guaranteed start in your red zone at your own 25, and trust your oline and RBs to get those 25 yards or at worst already be in field goal range?

The choice seems obvious based on the data we have. Oh and by the way I am in no way excusing Mario's game day coRching but in this instance he made the right choice to go to OT... again 🤦‍♂️
Good points. I still say you try to win the game, especially when the D wasn't exactly shutting them down in the 2nd half.

Funny that Mario wouldn't take a knee against GT, but has been more than willing to do so 2 weeks in a row to get to OT.

Funny that Mario wouldn't take a knee against GT, but has been more than willing to do so 2 weeks in a row to get to OT.
Looks like Mario got onto Dawson for not taking a knee at the end of games. But what's wrong with more Hurricane football? I've enjoyed the extra football.

Advertisement
Good points. I still say you try to win the game, especially when the D wasn't exactly shutting them down in the 2nd half.

I highly disagree with your take on the defense. This is modern college football where the rules are offense friendly and team are scoring at least 4 TDs.

The defense did more than enough. Holding them to field goals is what you want your defense to do. They held them to 20 points in regulation AND had a pick 6. You don’t get a whole lot more than that out of a defense.

This is 100% on the offense.

I thought he made a mistake both times but he won both. I still think I’m right - but glad it worked out.
Your wrong but it’s okay😊
We may have won last week w emory
But I’m pretty certain tvd would have thrown pick then we lose
By fg and everyone is screaming why didn’t we take a knee and get to Ot

Advertisement

Or

💯

Advertisement
Mario made the right choice in not trusting TVD. We were deep in our own side of the field and they had two time outs and regardless of what we all feel like… Mario is right and we are built for OT

If we get any team in the country to OT we stand a solid shot
That’s the spirit.

But in all seriousness, it was the the right call considering how atrocious TVD looked.

I thought he made a mistake both times but he won both. I still think I’m right - but glad it worked out.
That’s the part that makes it so infuriating! You should play to win the game. Taking it to OT is playing conservative football that leaves almost no room for error.

But! In this case due to one week having a true freshman QB in his very first start and then the next having your “star QB” have his head so far up his *** he can see the back of his eyelids again… they were both the right calls because our Oline, RBs that play downhill, and having one of the best placekickers makes it an almost no-brainer.

I highly disagree with your take on the defense. This is modern college football where the rules are offense friendly and team are scoring at least 4 TDs.

The defense did more than enough. Holding them to field goals is what you want your defense to do. They held them to 20 points in regulation AND had a pick 6. You don’t get a whole lot more than that out of a defense.

This is 100% on the offense.
I was talking about relying on the defense to definitely hold them to a field goal at most in OT. They did play great considering how modern football is played today. However, I'm just talking about the decision to go to OT again. If UVA was consistently going 3 and out, I agree with you. However, UVA had 12 drives today in regulation, half of them went 40 or more yards.

Like you said, pretty good in today's football, but plenty of doubt to hold down the fort in OT. Kudos to them though, they got it done today.

2 weeks in a row elects to go for OT giving us fans the benefit of free football!!!

I still say it's wrong, but hey, he's 2-0 doing it so what the **** do I know?
You take a knee when your qb is not trust worthy. That doesn’t even take analytics

Advertisement
Back