Mario needs to…

He didn’t own it. In the press conference he said he “should have stepped in and said take a knee” also mentioned ball security and everything else.

A guy who actually believed he blew the game and felt that it was truly his fault and his fault alone, would’ve walked up to the mic, and said “this is my fault and only my fault. I apologize to everyone in that locker room, and everyone associated with the program. I also want to give a special apology to Don Chaney. I put him in that spot. His fumble was my fault. I will not let this happen again. Have a good night.” And then walked off.
I am not defending him--but he did say something like that to Don Bailey on the radio post game. The press conference was a different tune.

Advertisement
Actually not a bad idea to try and win this team back, because that’s going to be a tall task. He’s got to show some humility here. Take the major L and rally the guys for Saturday.

We’re still 25 in the AP with a prime time ranked game Saturday. Last chance to save the season. Because if we pushed out by Geezer Mack again, fck it. It’s done.

He didn’t own it. In the press conference he said he “should have stepped in and said take a knee” also mentioned ball security and everything else.

A guy who actually believed he blew the game and felt that it was truly his fault and his fault alone, would’ve walked up to the mic, and said “this is my fault and only my fault. I apologize to everyone in that locker room, and everyone associated with the program. I also want to give a special apology to Don Chaney. I put him in that spot. His fumble was my fault. I will not let this happen again. Have a good night.” And then walked off.

But it wasn't ONLY his fault. He still has to coach the team, and it's not like they played even close to flawlessly aside from the big obvious coaching blunder

Humility can be a wonderful thing. The opposite is to bring up ball security & lack thereof. That a sure way to lose a locker room.

Instead, in the locker room, he talked about ball security and why it’s so important and why it needs to be taken seriously on every play.

In their defense, Chaney was begging for a chance to get 100 yards and they let him get it. What happens when you put stats and accolades over the team… exactly what Mario tries to preach. Broke his own code.

On the flip side., he’s done this before and I’m not even confident enough to say he wouldn’t have been running the ball either way even if Chaney was already over 100 instead of taking a knee
The problem is Mario

Based on the presser I get the feeling they didn’t even consider taking a knee. Like kneeling is some soft crap or something.
They just wanted to keep pounding the rock and get a few extra yards. Ultimate bro style

Advertisement
If the last 20 years has to taught us anything. This is just the start of the downward spiral we are about to go on. Mario probably lost the locker room and a significant portion of the fan base. Dude is cooked IMO.
I doubt it. We are a good team and we’re gonna give it to UNC even if it’s a heart breaker.

But it wasn't ONLY his fault. He still has to coach the team, and it's not like they played even close to flawlessly aside from the big obvious coaching blunder
The team did enough to win. Period. This program loses that game 100 out of 100 times the last 2 decades. But they didn’t last night until Mario had a stroke and gave it away.

A REAL Man/Coach would take the blame and be upfront with both the team and everyone else. I don't see that happening. It might hurt his reputation and future job openings.

The team did enough to win. Period. This program loses that game 100 out of 100 times the last 2 decades. But they didn’t last night until Mario had a stroke and gave it away.

No, they didn't. We could have secured the ball with two hands. We could have not given up two bombs in 30 seconds and let them get behind us for a touchdown. TVD, Chaney, and Kam all had the chance to put the game away for us and didn't do it.

Obviously it was an astoundingly dumb call not to kneel the football, but it takes a massive convergence of all kinds of **** to go wrong at the exact same time for the **** that happened yesterday to happen. The odds are astronomical and that's why it's front page headline news even on non sports sites. It was the top news story on CNN right after the Israel war. This is Hail Flutie on steroids level fluke stuff. It ******* sucks but we'll probably never live to see anything like it ever again.

Advertisement
IDK how accurate this is but Shodell is saying that Chaney had the 100 yds BBEFORE the fumble play. He is saying Chaney finished with 106 yds.

take it for where it comes....
The run before that he had gotten tackled in the backfield for a loss of 2 yards which put him at 21 carries for 97 yards.

The next 2 plays were:
- GTech calls their final timeout with 1:18 left on the clock
- 2nd & 12 Chaney runs it again for 2yds, putting him at 22 carries for 99yds with less than a minute left.
- 3rd & 10 Chaney runs for 4yds putting him at 23 carries for 103yds & then the infamous “fumble” with 33 seconds left on the clock.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back