Mario is not a Coach .

Interesting to me, the players getting questioned the most are Manny kids.

Tvd -6 turnovers in two losses (not going to count the Lee snap)
Lt - isn’t playing like a future first rounder
Kam - great excluding when he forgets he is the Safety
Jw - see Kam, plus penalties
Flagg - runs like he has muddy boots on
Don - fumble and always injuried
Harvey - 1 sack vs Ohio, pretty disappointing
JHH - hasn’t developed into a starting DT
Couch - never good enough for everyone
K Smith - not a safety, not a Lb, good for a penalty a game

I don’t see things changing namely because we haven’t recruited great at DL, DB, & QB. Thus, in two years we will still be complaining about our lack of DL, QB, and DBs.
Should we call them a Uber??! Lol
Sometimes you have to coach up talent which we have not done in many years !

Advertisement
Wasn't bad when he beat Defending NCs #1 FSU in 2000...
Wasn't bad when he beat #2 UCLA in 98...
Wasn't bad when he whipped #7 UF in 01....
In the meantime, Mario's getting beat by the MTSUs and GTs of the world.
Truth hurts … and this was pain to read !! Great job ! 😂😂

Advertisement
He is a figure head, program manager.
Real coaches make adjustments at EVERY half time don’t matter if you are winning or losing !
I’m not saying fire him but he needs to make some adjustments!

Oh and Bring Back the Turnover Chain!
At least that was exciting! View attachment 261426
Mario doesn’t need props and gimmicks to get players excited To play the game.

Wasn't bad when he beat Defending NCs #1 FSU in 2000...
Wasn't bad when he beat #2 UCLA in 98...
Wasn't bad when he whipped #7 UF in 01....
In the meantime, Mario's getting beat by the MTSUs and GTs of the world.
East Carolina Flag GIF by ECU Athletics

Advertisement
I usually try not to say never and hold out hope for Mario becoming at least a decent game day coach but at this point it's hard to imagine him getting any better.

I've long-held the belief that being an elite college football coach is NOT a learned skill. You either have it or you dont. It's probably the toughest job in all of sport. One needs to have high levels of very diverse skillsets to be an elite college coach.

You need to be a great recruiter, a great X's & O's guy, a great organizational leader, great with alumni & boosters, and great at networking within the industry so as to be able to constantly have a competent coaching staff. Most consistently ranked programs have coaches who are elite at one or two of these components and subpar at others. For me (being an engineering nerd), I tend to prefer the gameday general type of coach. Mario is the opposite of that. But then again, so was Butch Davis. I see so many parallels between those two guys, which is why Im still high on Mario.

Advertisement
Mario will always be a great recruiter because recruiting is all about work ethic. Mario out-works everyone.

Mario will never be a great gameday coach because gameday coaching is about thinking. Mario out-thinks no one.
Then give him a few years. That was Butch Davis. Butch never outcoached anyone when we were short handed. When we had full allotment of scholarships, the team was unbeatable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back