Mario is a problem on Offense Mopes get in here.

Doesn’t a mope need bad news in order to mope about? Like why wouldn’t they disappear when things are going well?
Not what this board calls a mope.

It’s someone who’s watched football for 30 years says “I don’t think Manny Diaz is our guy, we’ll never win with him” in the denial stage when pumpers still believe.

When it’s actually rock bottom the entire board are “mopers”.

Advertisement
Athletic article ...

Miami led No. 23 Texas A&M 41-33 with 5:02 left in the game. The Aggies had just made the contest a one-score game, and they had two timeouts remaining.

“What’s your mentality right now?” Mario Cristobal asked his new offensive coordinator, Shannon Dawson.

What happens over a headset in the heat of a tight game often is much different from what gets kicked around in coaching interviews. Dawson had noted how hands-off his new boss was as Miami battled back from a 10-0 hole to light up an Aggies defense stacked with four- and five-star recruits. Dawson had been at places where he and the head coach liked and respected each other but, when it really mattered, the fit of what each man wanted was just “off.” That’s how it was when he was the offensive coordinator for Mark Stoops at Kentucky.

“I don’t think we can run the clock out,” Cristobal said.

“Run the clock out?” Dawson replied. “I’m trying to end this motherf—– right here. If they match up, we’re gonna throw the vertical.”

Cristobal loved what he heard. So did the players when Dawson gathered the offense before they went back on the field. “We gotta go score again,” he told them. “We can’t put all the pressure on the field. We gotta help them out and give them a comfortable lead.”
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

A few points:

1) One thing that is vastly overlooked sometimes when talking this scheme versus Gattass is *the players we have offensively fit THIS scheme almost seamlessly*. They didn't fit what Gattass wanted to do.

2) Take into consideration as well that the offense that Michigan was running with Gattass...he was a co-coordinator. He had the "tag" of offensive coordinator but he split the duties with Sheronne Moore. Plus you know a ton of that system and what made it work was Harbaugh's fingerprints on it.

3) Mario, through his career, has been a micromanager as a HC. It's because he's obsessed with getting it right. Nothing wrong with that, but the pendulum can swing in the other direction and be hurtful if he's too hands on. With Gattass struggling last year, Mario was probably very involved and doing everything he could to help fix it...but it wasn't fixable...which of course led to us firing Gattass. Pointing out Mario micromanaging last year isn't mopery, it's likely true and was likely needed...but Bill Walsh couldn't have fixed that bullsh1t we trotted out last season between scheme, injuries, and that putrid OL.

4) With Dawson - Mario made the right call. He found a guy who knows his ****, and is confident in his system and his playcalling ability - as evidenced by the "End this Motherfvcker" exchange. I would argue that Dawson is the best OC Mario has ever had, and I hope we hang on to him for dear life.

Advertisement
Down 2 plays per team. My point is nobody is changing their offensive philosophy due to the rule change. You disagree?
I don't think coaches are changing offensive philosophies. But I do think the rule changes may affect playcalling later in games and may limit possessions (particularly for teams that are not adept at up-tempo).

With last season's clock rules, if you were ahead, of course every coach had an incentive to kill clock. However, given that the other team was aided by clock stoppage after first downs, you had to be slightly more aggressive with your offensive approach because other teams could score quickly and perhaps have enough possessions to make a game close.

Now, if you're ahead and the other team doesn't have an offense that can run the two-minute drill particularly well, that may change the way games are called late. Like, for example, I watched a little UT-UF and UT (surprisingly) did not have an up tempo offense and was really, really slow getting plays in and set up. I thought they almost dared UF to just run on 1st-3rd down.

Crazy how the mopes disappear when the product is good... and appear when the product is bad. Maybe, just maybe... some people express objectively what they see.

I’m sure many of us will be critical here and there as the season goes on.
What I don’t get is how some here, after we hire a new OC/DC, were expressing “objectively“ negative opinions before they even saw anything.

I’m sure many of us will be critical here and there as the season goes on.
What I don’t get is how some here, after we hire a new OC/DC, were expressing “objectively“ negative opinions before they even saw anything.

So no one should be able to make an opinion about a coordinator until they see them? This is a message board after all. I just don’t get wanting to silence or mold opinions on a forum. What’s really the point of being here?

Advertisement
So no one should be able to make an opinion about a coordinator until they see them? This is a message board after all. I just don’t get wanting to silence or mold opinions on a forum. What’s really the point of being here?
Didn’t say that.
I welcome different opinions..

Summer Examples:
“Dawson never coached on a p5 level. He’s still unproven. Mario will never change his stripes. He’ll still have his fingerprints all over this O”-
Reasonable and discussion worthy.
“Our recruiting sucks, we’re going to end up ranked in the 20’s…. this team will be set back for 5 years”-
Not so much.

I think your mixing up the difference between a reasonable poster (positive or negative) and a Mope.

Not what this board calls a mope.

It’s someone who’s watched football for 30 years says “I don’t think Manny Diaz is our guy, we’ll never win with him” in the denial stage when pumpers still believe.

When it’s actually rock bottom the entire board are “mopers”.
Not a Mope statement IMO.

Nah. Mario was checking Dawson's temp and making sure they were on the same page of NOT trying to run out the clock.
Exactly Gattis to Dawson proves Mario will do whatever he has to to win big at Miami the change in confidence and style on both sides of the ball are night and day so far

Advertisement
Didn’t say that.
I welcome different opinions..

Summer Examples:
“Dawson never coached on a p5 level. He’s still unproven. Mario will never change his stripes. He’ll still have his fingerprints all over this O”-
Reasonable and discussion worthy.
“Our recruiting sucks, we’re going to end up ranked in the 20’s…. this team will be set back for 5 years”-
Not so much.

I think your mixing up the difference between a reasonable poster (positive or negative) and a Mope.

It's not that I am, its that a huge portion of the board can't tell the difference and anything that isn't sunshine at times gets struck down.

Remember when Macho was burned at the stake for criticizing Manny's recruiting tactics with first hand knowledge?

d7f739b6f8164e3ccec6a78dbd53bb6c-1491917825.gif

There’s no way the same Dawson who made that statement during the TAMU game is the same guy that’s been calling the Offense over the last 5 games...

Something definitely happened during the BYE week to cause such a drastic change.

Advertisement
d7f739b6f8164e3ccec6a78dbd53bb6c-1491917825.gif

There’s no way the same Dawson who made that statement during the TAMU game is the same guy that’s been calling the Offense over the last 5 games...

Something definitely happened during the BYE week to cause such a drastic change.
1000000000%

I porsted it in another thread but during the GT game Mario talked about needing to be methodical during a sideline interview. The announcers talked about how we self scouted during the bye (this was early in the game and was positioned imo as a positive). And post game Mario said we can’t put ourself in the position where we have to sling the ball all over the field. All of that was lost or overlooked in the kneel buffoonery. We should have never been in that position for the fumble to even matter. From the get go we didn’t look right.

Advertisement
Back